Protective Gear - Whats needed and whats overkill?

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Protective Gear - Whats needed and whats overkill?

Post by Ovo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:48 am

OK so being a newb to the dirt, I would like to know what gear I should be looking at getting.

I know I need a helmet, goggles and I want some off road boots and gloves...outside of that what would you suggest or is that enough?

I do have some fieldsheer mesh pants with knee amour that I am going to wear.

Anything else or is that good?
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S

hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Re: Protective Gear - Whats needed and whats overkill?

Post by hondahawkrider » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:53 am

Ovoidious wrote:OK so being a newb to the dirt, I would like to know what gear I should be looking at getting.

I know I need a helmet, goggles and I want some off road boots and gloves...outside of that what would you suggest or is that enough?

I do have some fieldsheer mesh pants with knee amour that I am going to wear.

Anything else or is that good?
Depends upon your riding to how much you want/need..

I always include a backprotector when I ride... They are build into some pressure suits - but if I pass on my PS - and I am using a ADV jacket only - I usually wear the bp inside it...
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se

Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Post by Ovo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:01 am

Depends upon your riding to how much you want/need..
Well this would be for basic trail riding and maybe some of the scheduled rides that you find on here.
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S

Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:06 am

Gear is really a personal opinion. However, in the unfortunate event that you do go down and injure something, you'll always wish you had something protecting that part of you.

mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:47 am

I would suggest MX/off road type knee protection. They straps directly to your leg and won't move when you fall. I find MX/off road type pants to be more comfortable than sport touring type gear too.

In most cases of true off-roading, you won't be crashing at very high speeds, so you don't need the road rash type of protection, just hard armor over the body parts most likely to bounce off the ground. I wear gloves to protect against sore, raw, blistered hands, more than for crash protection. Having hard armor on the back of the gloves and on your forearms/biceps helps protect against smacking tree limbs as you ride through the woods.

Most coming from a street riding background favor more protection. Most who have ridden off road all their lives favor much less protection.

Although I have had a few rather spectacular off-road crashes, most often, I just tip over or step off at 0 mph. The times I have rag dolled it, my helmet has been the most important safety feature. Sturdy MX type boots are awesome too. :thumbup:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC

zooom
DAMN Wanabe

Post by zooom » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:57 am

mdubya wrote:I would suggest MX/off road type knee protection. They straps directly to your leg and won't move when you fall. I find MX/off road type pants to be more comfortable than sport touring type gear too.

In most cases of true off-roading, you won't be crashing at very high speeds, so you don't need the road rash type of protection, just hard armor over the body parts most likely to bounce off the ground. I wear gloves to protect against sore, raw, blistered hands, more than for crash protection. Having hard armor on the back of the gloves and on your forearms/biceps helps protect against smacking tree limbs as you ride through the woods.

Most coming from a street riding background favor more protection. Most who have ridden off road all their lives favor much less protection.

Although I have had a few rather spectacular off-road crashes, most often, I just tip over or step off at 0 mph. The times I have rag dolled it, my helmet has been the most important safety feature. Sturdy MX type boots are awesome too. :thumbup:
and whaddya use to protect you from the guard rails that jump out and get in your way?

:brows: :rickey: :lol2:
Keep thine eye on the tach and thine ears on the engine lest thy whirlybits seek communion with the sun.

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:08 pm

For offroading, I think boots (proper MXboots), helm & goggles, gloves, elbow and knee armor. I think a MX style chest/back protector is nice (and cheap), but not really needed.

At the moment I do have a pressure suit, I probably don't need it for casual trail riding. But since I have it, I wear it.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Surron UltraBee

Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:15 pm

Practice crashing and see what hurts the next day :roost:
Bruce

biffer99
DAMN Expert

Post by biffer99 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:36 pm

zooom wrote:
mdubya wrote:I would suggest MX/off road type knee protection. They straps directly to your leg and won't move when you fall. I find MX/off road type pants to be more comfortable than sport touring type gear too.

and whaddya use to protect you from the guard rails that jump out and get in your way?

:brows: :rickey: :lol2:

You mean like this???

HELMET, knee pads, boots, and a pressure suit (aka. ballistic jersey) including shoulder/elbow/back/kidney protection. Crashes hurt and I fall over A LOT! (which, around here, has given new meaning to my handle)
Chris
'09 DRZ400SM (dirt setup as well)
'08 WR450F - plated

http://www.bellwetherphoto.com

mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:24 pm

biffer99 wrote:

You mean like this???

HELMET, knee pads, boots, and a pressure suit (aka. ballistic jersey) including shoulder/elbow/back/kidney protection. Crashes hurt and I fall over A LOT! (which, around here, has given new meaning to my handle)
Oh sh!!t. When did that happen?

:eyes:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC