I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Should have bought Japanese

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Damage Inc.
DAMN Expert

Re: Should have bought Japanese

Post by Damage Inc. »

A friend of mine has a 350 Sprint..cool looking little bike. I really don't understand why Polaris or Can Am aren't bake in the off road bike business any more. Both are doing OK with the ATV's. They may not be US but at least they are North American..kinda.

both my bikes are Japanese by the way...DRZ and VTX..
'00 KTM 300EXC Brakes just slow you down
'06 VTX1300r
vetteguy
DAMN n00b

Post by vetteguy »

Kyler wrote:
Damage Inc. wrote:I'm an American and will buy AMERICAN when ever possible.
I'm the same way and only because I'm a biased prick. Okay, most Japanese cars are way too small for me to get in comfortably too, but mostly because I'm a prick.
Same here. I go out of my way to buy American. Although that is getting extremly hard to do. If I did not own a Harley I would like a Victory.
2002 XR400 (sold), 2007 KTM 450 exc
2001 XR200, 2004 Harley 1200R, 2004 CRF250X (son)
zamobro9
DAMN Expert

Post by zamobro9 »

I have an old amf harley and it still runs, and i ran the balls off of it when i was a youngster, had it since 83 and it's an 82
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

If you're willing to wait the new American motorcycle company MOTUS is making very promising sport-touring motorcycles very soon. :bandit:
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Damage Inc. wrote:
I'm an American and will buy AMERICAN when ever possible.

OK...all in good fun...no animosity here.
First off--->To each his own. :deal:

A lot depends on the individual owner and their maintenance and care of chosen bike. Most well maintained machines will run a long time.

I for one, with exception of the F150, will shy away from American products. I shop for the best deal for my buck. Why? Lessons learned from being around cars for 40 some odd years.

Having said that I own three Jeeps, all wearing classic or antique tags. All over 100k, one over 200k and all still running. So... :shrug:
BTW the biggest issue with all three Jeeps is massive rust damage. Drive-trains are fine.
Bruce
Zeets
DAMN n00b

Post by Zeets »

BillyGoat wrote:If you're willing to wait the new American motorcycle company MOTUS is making very promising sport-touring motorcycles very soon. :bandit:
If you have $30k to spend... The Motus is grossly overpriced, and I'd be willing to bet that the first couple years of the bike will have immense growing pains, manifested in electrical issues and other similar "simple" failures. They've already backed off of the direct fuel injection and gone to a simpler port-style injection, and the crazy TFT adaptable display is likely to be less than reliable, especially on bikes that are kept outdoors often. That is if they can wedge their bikes into the hands of Beemer owners, who are likely their sole demographic, since those are the only riders out there (other than the Harley faithful) that are willling to spend $20k+ on a bike. Plus there are already a handful of big-bore, techy, fast, comfy sport-touring rigs out there, that are way less expensive, and proven-reliable.

I love the idea of the Motus, but I suspect that they've already priced themselves out of the market, and unless the bikes are flawless, they're unlikely to make enough of a market impact to be a contender.

Brammo and Zero are also American companies, and making a somewhat proven, truly bleeding edge product that are actually reasonably priced.
2008 DR-Z400SM
1974 RD350
1970 Vespa Sprint
Damage Inc.
DAMN Expert

Post by Damage Inc. »

I've been a mechanic for the last 30+ years and I've worked on foreign and domestic vehicles all of that time. There was a time 10-15 years ago when I would say the Japanese cars were better, other then rust, but now I feel that they are all pretty equal. Most likely because all vehicle are not really manufactured in any one country.
'00 KTM 300EXC Brakes just slow you down
'06 VTX1300r