I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Ride today and camera review

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
RadioRyder
DAMN Expert

Re: Ride today and camera review

Post by RadioRyder »

I have a friend who just bought a GoPro hero 3 and when he puts it in the protective case there is an annoying clicking sound in the entire video, so he can't use any of the audio in his videos. He just adds a music track, which I find weird when you can't hear the bike. I think GoPro has become the standard based solely on marketing dollars spent. I will admit, I see their ads all the time, and people just keep buying their stuff up.
06 Suzuki DR-Z400S
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

RadioRyder wrote:I have a friend who just bought a GoPro hero 3 and when he puts it in the protective case there is an annoying clicking sound in the entire video, so he can't use any of the audio in his videos. He just adds a music track, which I find weird when you can't hear the bike. I think GoPro has become the standard based solely on marketing dollars spent. I will admit, I see their ads all the time, and people just keep buying their stuff up.
I have a Hero 3 and do not have that problem. very odd.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
vetteguy
DAMN n00b

Post by vetteguy »

RadioRyder wrote:I have a friend who just bought a GoPro hero 3 and when he puts it in the protective case there is an annoying clicking sound in the entire video, so he can't use any of the audio in his videos. He just adds a music track, which I find weird when you can't hear the bike. I think GoPro has become the standard based solely on marketing dollars spent. I will admit, I see their ads all the time, and people just keep buying their stuff up.
I think GOPro are nice but way overpriced. If Emerson can put out a camera like this for $30 GoPro is making a killing at $300.
2002 XR400 (sold), 2007 KTM 450 exc
2001 XR200, 2004 Harley 1200R, 2004 CRF250X (son)
Zeets
DAMN n00b

Post by Zeets »

The largest one advantage of the GoPro is the quality of the chipset installed on the board. I have a friend that runs the R&D department for Discovery Networks. Because of the demanding environments thst Discovery films in, they have been testing cameras independently for decades. Inadvertently, they also set the bar for camera manufacturers, who bring their equipment to Discovery for evaluation. GoPro brought early versions of the camera to discovery for testing, and were turned away due to durability issues, my friend told them to upgrade the chipset and pay for tighter acceptance testing standards and bring the camera back. GoPro did, and have been a staple of Discovery's productions ever since. When I asked him for a recommendation between the GoPro and the Contour (contour had a better form factor and bluetooth before GoPro) he flat out told me the GoPro was worth the money. Contour, consequently is out of business now. Admittedly, the GoPro is spendy, but the durability of the Hero2 and the image stabilization make it worth while. Not to argue that they've had great marketing, but if they were junk, the market would let you know. I think the Hero3 has some battery issues, and in general isn't quite as durable as the 2, but they're still a quality product.
But $300 is a lot for a tiny camera.
2008 DR-Z400SM
1974 RD350
1970 Vespa Sprint
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

RadioRyder wrote:I have a friend who just bought a GoPro hero 3 and when he puts it in the protective case there is an annoying clicking sound in the entire video, so he can't use any of the audio in his videos.
I absolutely know what you mean. There are a few things you can do to help --

1) Make sure you use the white rubber thing that was in the box that you had no idea what it was used for to smash in between the forks on the mount. Google "gopro white thing" turns up lots of hits because it's just that wierd out of context. Anyway, here is how it's used -- http://gopro.com/support/articles/how-t ... cking-plug

2) Further reduce vibration noise by putting a strip of electrical tape down the middle of the mount under that clip to further insulate the camera and its mount with the thing attached to whatever you have your camera mounted to. It'll both provide a vibration buffer and tighten everything up further to prevent vibrations in the first place

3) Use audio editing software like what comes with Sony Vegas / Sony Movie Studio Platinum or Suite. You can sample the pop that is created when the case hits a branch or rain drops or anything else like that and it'll go through and edit instances of that sound out automatically. It won't be perfect, but it'll be satisfactory. Worst-case scenario is you can then use that cleaned up audio as well as music to further hide imperfections while still getting engine noise. The Sony software also does a good job getting rid of "banana trees" aka "fisheye effect" which is really pronounced when going through tight trees.

This is a video without music using a GoPro Hero HD after removing pops and fisheye using filters in Sony Movie Studio 11 or 12 (can't remember which I have).

[youtube][/youtube]

Thanks,

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Video from the same ride without audio cleanup and notice the curving of the trees as I go by because I didn't fix the fisheye.

[youtube][/youtube]

Thanks,

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
RadioRyder
DAMN Expert

Post by RadioRyder »

I don't think Contour is out of business, they still sell cameras. There may be a difference in the chipset that makes the GoPro better for a broadcaster, I totally get that. I did a lot of research before I purchased mine, mostly about features, form factor, video quality, and price point. When it comes down to it, my videos end up on YouTube, and the way they compress files, the video quality was the least of my worries. I really like the features and form factor of the Contour. I will buy another one when I need it. For now my original Contour without bluetooth or GPS will do. It has survived crashes that broke the mount, but it kept on recording with no damage to the camera.

Phoo I am going to copy and paste your post and send it to my buddy. He needs the info you provided. Thank you!
06 Suzuki DR-Z400S