I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Bike for my grandson

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Pa_trailrider
DAMN Expert

Bike for my grandson

Post by Pa_trailrider »

I am not good on prices of used bikes. Going to look at this for my youngest grandson just wondering is this price good or bad average.
http://morgantown.craigslist.org/mcy/4362561669.html
DR 650 DRZ 400 XCW 300
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Re: Bike for my grandson

Post by Ovo »

How old is your grandson and how much experience does he have riding?
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
jgreene
DAMN Expert

Post by jgreene »

Price seems a little high for a bike almost 10 years old. If it is in good shape, and with some of the goodies it's has on it, I would not mind paying around $1,700. But don't let the age worry you. I love my 2004 250 EXC.
Member R&T Club, and GMER
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

I agree the price seems a little high. But it does have some nice stuff on it.

Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Pa_trailrider
DAMN Expert

Post by Pa_trailrider »

Grandson has been riding for 6 years he is 13. He is a cautious rider don't ride over his head but he might need to stick to easier stuff this year.
Maybe a 150 Honda would be better for him kinda between a big bike and a little bike.

I just got home from getting my bike back from Duel Sport Armory and Allen said basically the same thing over priced. I am going to look at it and maybe make an offer. Kevin is not in a hurry something will turn up.
Thanks Darwin
DR 650 DRZ 400 XCW 300
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Ovo wrote:How old is your grandson and how much experience does he have riding?
His grandson is a decent rider. Can do all the trails at Grandvilles, including the big hillclimb/laughing man section. Better then some of the adult riders here on the site.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

Don't know what he is riding now (was riding at Granville's) but IMO there is NO better full-sized bike made for beginners, short folks or OFGs than and 07 KTM XCW particularly if lowered (that's why I have one). The 04 is almost the same bike except for a slightly larger carb (which makes it have a little less low end) and I THINK the rear shock may be not quite as good. The bigger gas tank can be sold for $ (if he still has the regular one to replace it with). Also all the "street" stuff can be taken off and sold for $ and make the bike lighter too.

The advantage of these bikes is that they are the lightest bike available with a relatively mild torque motor and "relatively" low (1+ inches lower than 2008+ KTMs) and can be lowered another 1 to 2 inches fairly easily in the usual ways OR by installing a 2008+ swing arm and cutting fork springs. Being a 2 stroke, motor maintenance is easy are relatively cheap.

That is NOT to say that a 150 Honda is not also a GREAT bike and even better for shorter folks.
Look at Jake of J&J go on his!
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

BigBird wrote:
Look at Jake of J&J go on his!
Jacob is 14 & getting big enough for that 200. He is riding a 150rb now. This is the big wheel version race bike, runs like a 250.... it rips. :roost: Not to be confused with a crf 150f which is a good trail bike with electric start, but slow... compares with a 230.

The thing about the 150r verses the 200 ktm is that he can race the ECEA youth hare scrambles untill he's 15. We think the ECEA youth series is the greatest thing for him right now. There are kids classes from 50s up & I wish we had gotten involved years ago. There are kids there that have been racing since age 5 or 6 & some of them can seriously rip. You should look into taking your Grandson to a race or two if he has anything from a 150 down.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Bucho wrote: Better then some of the adult riders here on the site.

Why people gotta keep calling us out :dirtdog:

:lol2:

When TJ (my son) was around 14 he went from a KX85 right to the XR400. Skipped over the DR250 I got for him. DAMN kids can ride! They are better than we think sometimes.
I blame myself, I taught him well :thumbup:

For comparison, I recently paid 1600 for my KTM.
Bruce
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

dirtygrunt wrote:
Bucho wrote: Better then some of the adult riders here on the site.

Why people gotta keep calling us out :dirtdog:
Oh... so Bucho was talking about you :jack: I thought he was talking about me :poser: