I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Well "F" me!

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Well "F" me!

Post by Firebolter »

Went out today to take my dog to my X for watching while I am working late and her time to spend with him for the next week. Get In My truck and as I accelerated out of my lot in front of my house, there was this god awful vibration and noise that rumbled my truck bed! I reversed back and parked he truck, called the X and told her what was going on, she will come over tomorrow morning to pick up the boy.

So I go get under the truck and start looking for what the hell could cause this god awful noise and vibration etc. and I look up and see the drive shaft support is shredded, gone. Drive shaft can move like 1 inch up within the support! Holly crap, I am so lucky this didn't fail at speed in traffic! Could have been a bad situation. I have never seen one of these supports fail. Drive shaft is really rusty but other wise okay. From my search online for schematics, looks like this is a one pice drive shaft replacement with the support as part of it, in other words, you don't just replace the support, you replace the whole drive shaft that includes the support.

I am so thankful this didn't fail at speed in traffic, that could have been really bad. 2007 with 87k miles, so it has been a faithful friend to date.
Lots of cool bikes---
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Well

Post by Rut Row »

what truck is it? you are right, could have been worse. You could have gotten trapped at your ex's place. :jack:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Could have been those power brake burnouts I was doing driving back from the pub :brows:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Well "F" me!

Post by Firebolter »

Boom Boom wrote:Could have been those power brake burnouts I was doing driving back from the pub :brows:
Somehow I knew it was your fault! I was just waiting for you to own it!
Lots of cool bikes---
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Well "F" me!

Post by Firebolter »

Kyler wrote:what truck is it? you are right, could have been worse. You could have gotten trapped at your ex's place. :jack:
Ford F150 FX2 Sport 2007
Lots of cool bikes---
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Firebolter wrote:Ford F150 FX2 Sport 2007
be sure to fix it good and keep me in mind when you want to sell it :think:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

http://a1driveshaft.com/abouta1.html

you cant beat these guys, they are total pros, they used to be cheap as dirt but hit me a little hard the last couple of times I used them.

the other cheap out option is crazy rays but it sure does suck to yank a driveshaft laying on the ground
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

Hare wrote:http://a1driveshaft.com/abouta1.html

you cant beat these guys, they are total pros, they used to be cheap as dirt but hit me a little hard the last couple of times I used them.

the other cheap out option is crazy rays but it sure does suck to yank a driveshaft laying on the ground
A-1 is the place. The do an awesome job of building or rebuilding drive shafts
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Well "F" me!

Post by Firebolter »

Thanks for the tip, will give A1 a call. Pretty sure Ford will just want to do a replacement as from what I can tell the drive shaft is not a rebuildable unit. Everywhere I have looked the carrier bearing is part of drive shaft when you purchase a replacement drive shaft. Also read on a few forums this has happened a few times. Sad that this design is that weak. No towing with this truck, 2wd and it failed totally. Cheap design it looks like. Will have to have the truck towed to where ever I have it repaired. Don't want to try and do this in the parking lot, prefer to have it professionally done since it is a very important spinning mass that if not done correctly, can be a catastrophic failure!
Lots of cool bikes---
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Talked to A1 today. I have to bring the Drive Shaft into them for repair. I can drop it in the parking lot I guess. 4 bolts to the rear end, 2 bolts for the carrier bearing and then slip it out of the transmission. Take 2 measurements for him and he will build me a new drive shaft and it will be all balanced and ready to go, far better than the OEM.

800 bucks for a new one that will be completely re-build able if needed in the future. If I just buy a "OEM" replacement, I can find one for between 650-750 bucks, but it won't be serviceable, so it is worth the extra few bucks to go with A1.

Looks like "I am dropping Shaft" this weekend. Hopefully the bolts will all come off without any drama or heat needed.
Lots of cool bikes---