I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

slow learner

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

slow learner

Post by Rut Row »

wow, this trials shit is hard. I just spent 30-min (that's all my back would take) in the yard doing figure 8s and mostly trying to learn the timing to pop the front wheel with the throttle. I put a 6" logette out there (never crossed it either) and just tried to time the bounce and blip.

1st try wheelied the bike and threw it away.

2nd try didn't even clear the ground.

repeat ...

20-min later I understood bounce, pull back and slight blip. But never got consistent enough to try the logette. then my back gave out.

:knary:

more practice tomorrow :pray:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Re: slow learner

Post by bonehead »

Keep trying guy. You can do it. :roost: :whoop:
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
SherpaT
DAMN n00b

Post by SherpaT »

I'm sure you've heard these tips before, but I'll repeat them. :lol2: Stay relaxed! Look up, don't look at your front fender. Stay back over the pegs, don't climb up on the bars. Even though you're not allowed to "stop" during vintage trials, practice pulling in the clutch, and balancing for a few seconds (look up, and turn the front wheel to help you balance). Breath and stay relaxed! Have fun; don't take it seriously and tense up. Always have a relaxed grip on the bars. Have fun! Relax! Have somebody record a video of you for a few minutes, to see if your posture is correct (sometimes it's easier to see, than to feel).
Adventure, dual sport, and trials (not necessarily in that order)
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

SherpaT wrote:I'm sure you've heard these tips before, but I'll repeat them. :lol2: Stay relaxed! Look up, don't look at your front fender. Stay back over the pegs, don't climb up on the bars. Even though you're not allowed to "stop" during vintage trials, practice pulling in the clutch, and balancing for a few seconds (look up, and turn the front wheel to help you balance). Breath and stay relaxed! Have fun; don't take it seriously and tense up. Always have a relaxed grip on the bars. Have fun! Relax! Have somebody record a video of you for a few minutes, to see if your posture is correct (sometimes it's easier to see, than to feel).
:harhar: :poser:

someday ... :angel:

this morning all I can think about is Extra Strength Ibuprofen ... :shrug:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I know your tall, did you get bar rises installed? Bars angled properly, etc?

I'm far from any kind of authority, but a few minutes with Mike is all it took to get me going.
Bruce
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

Helps me a great deal off road.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

dirtygrunt wrote:I know your tall, did you get bar rises installed? Bars angled properly, etc?
Mike said get a 2" ROX (I did) and angle at 45 degrees. Did that too. Much improved but still, my years as a desk pilot have taken their toll.
Ken
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

anotherguy wrote:
Helps me a great deal off road.
:thumbup:
Ken
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Don't forget to pre-load the suspension before you "blip". General rule is what ever the height of the obstacle you are trying to go over (log, rock, dirt wall whatever) you should do the blip about half of the height in front of the obstacle. While lower height stuff (less than a foot) you can clear the front tire over it and then unload the suspension and let the rear cruise up and over, you typically want to hit the obstacle at the half way up point to bounce the front end up and over, then unload the rear and let it come over.

I have Ryan Young's CD that covers all the basic's! It is a good place to start. Practice and more practice. Eventually your lower back will get in better shape. Even though it is hurting some, it is GOOD FOR YOU! :loveit:
Lots of cool bikes---
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Firebolter wrote:Don't forget to pre-load the suspension before you "blip". General rule is what ever the height of the obstacle you are trying to go over (log, rock, dirt wall whatever) you should do the blip about half of the height in front of the obstacle. While lower height stuff (less than a foot) you can clear the front tire over it and then unload the suspension and let the rear cruise up and over, you typically want to hit the obstacle at the half way up point to bounce the front end up and over, then unload the rear and let it come over.

I have Ryan Young's CD that covers all the basic's! It is a good place to start. Practice and more practice. Eventually your lower back will get in better shape. Even though it is hurting some, it is GOOD FOR YOU! :loveit:
I'll order Ryan's CD pronto. I've paid my fee to go to his class at dan's in Sept. I'm truing to learn enough that I won't look like a total n00bie. :lol2:
Ken