I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Boots

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
chasbo
DAMN Expert

Boots

Post by chasbo »

Well, after a long dry spell (a year and a half) off the bike due to a torn shoulder, I am finally allowed back on :loveit:

Since I want to do more dirt this year, it's time to upgrade my boots....I am torn between wanting to get all the bells and whistles and saving a buck. I have been riding SIDI Disco Rains for the last few years, but wasn't happy with the ankle protection. So this year I am looking at the Gaerne SG10, which seem to have everything I am looking for and the Alpinestars Tech 3, which will save nearly a couple Benjamin's.

My biggest concern is ankle protection as I mentioned and I am not sure how good the Alpinestars will be with that, but I wanted to be able to walk in them as well. I was thinking SIDI Crossfires, but I want a sole that will grip the ground. That is why I like the Gaerne's so much.

Gaerne: http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/GAERNE-SG10-BOOTS
Alpinestars: http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/ALPIN ... RAIN-BOOTS

Do I spend the extra and know I will be ok? Or will the Alpinestar's cut the mustard?
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Re: Boots

Post by Marylander »

How about splitting the difference? I love my forma terrain tx boots. Hinged boots at ~$280. Similar protection to the gaerne's for close to the price of the alpinestars.
http://www.atomic-moto.com/Forma-Terrai ... p_793.html
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

Been wear A-Stars for the past 20 years or so. Crashed hard more than a couple times. Only one ankle injury I can recall at Doublin' Gap shorting a triple which by all intents was gonna be a double. Currently wearing Tech 6.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Ive been wearing some Sidis. Somewhere in $250 range. Have been good boots for the last couple years.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
chasbo
DAMN Expert

Post by chasbo »

Marylander wrote:How about splitting the difference? I love my forma terrain tx boots. Hinged boots at ~$280. Similar protection to the gaerne's for close to the price of the alpinestars.
http://www.atomic-moto.com/Forma-Terrai ... p_793.html

There are a few boots on that page that seem like great deals. Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't considered the Forma's, but they look really nice. These boots are going to be my daily use boots both on and off road and most especially on trips.
chasbo
DAMN Expert

Post by chasbo »

Bucho wrote:Ive been wearing some Sidis. Somewhere in $250 range. Have been good boots for the last couple years.
I love the way the SIDI's fit. Most comfortable boot I have ever worn.
Bork
DAMN Poohba

Post by Bork »

Bucho wrote:Ive been wearing some Sidis. Somewhere in $250 range. Have been good boots for the last couple years.
When you remember to bring'em :jack:
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r
Bork
DAMN Poohba

Post by Bork »

chasbo wrote:
Heard this from several riders :thumbup:
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Bork wrote:
When you remember to bring'em :jack:

Ha ha! Yes, everytime I pack my boots for a ride I think of the time I had to wear an old pair of your work boots when I forgot my mx boots.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

chasbo wrote:
if you like the fit of Sidis, then you have a "low volume foot" and all the Italian boots will fit well. I have that problem myself.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris