I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

just in case

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: just in case

Post by Rut Row »

Skinny-J wrote:If only it was a Honda....
:barf:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

anotherguy wrote:
Kyler wrote:
anotherguy wrote:I'm surprised this crowd isn't all over the US getting the 250 Freeride.
while it might be an awesome woods bike, it is a lousy DS bike--small tank, not street legal, no easy way to carry bags, etc.
DualSports suck. They do nothing well. Gimme a specialized piece of equipment anyday.
Wasnt the best single track bike, but I loved my DR650, (especially with a second wheelset)
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

anotherguy wrote:
Kyler wrote:
anotherguy wrote:I'm surprised this crowd isn't all over the US getting the 250 Freeride.
while it might be an awesome woods bike, it is a lousy DS bike--small tank, not street legal, no easy way to carry bags, etc.
DualSports suck. They do nothing well. Gimme a specialized piece of equipment anyday.
but your question was why this forum isn't "this crowd isn't all over the US getting the 250 Freeride." Most on this forum are DS riders although we have a very vocal population of single track guys.

My 450EXC was a fantastic bike for single track and DS riding. I miss it.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Let's see how many KTM brings into the US first before getting panties all in a bunch.
The 2 stroke is what the masses will want but the 4-stroke might have a prayer of getting green sticker status for the west coast folks and that would sell many more bikes.
If I am not mistaken it is a e-start only bike and lets face it, KTM is not known for having a dependable dirt bike starter so that will be strike one for many possible buyers.
It will have a very narrow audience, if your want to rip open areas or fast flowing single track....nope, won't scratch that itch. If you want to attempt to slip a plate on it for DS duty...nope again, limited fuel capacity.
If you are someone that enjoys riding stuff like trail #199 at Hatfield and stuff that is more suited for a trials bike....well you best put your money down because they have built a bike just for you.
If it was available when I purchased my X-ride, it might have scratched my itch. But for me the X-ride is a trials bike with a comfortable seat and extra fuel range so that was what I wanted and purchase price was far more in line with my budget. If I wanted a modified enduro bike that has some trials like nimble features then the Freeride is for you.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

Boom Boom wrote:If it was available when I purchased my X-ride, it might have scratched my itch. But for me the X-ride is a trials bike with a comfortable seat and extra fuel range so that was what I wanted and purchase price was far more in line with my budget.
Might I be so bold as to ask what you paid for the X-Ride? That is one of the bikes that has be a bit more curious. Oh, and what does the title look like, as in motorcycle or offroad?

As to all this dual sport nonsense, my 350XCF-W is my DS, despite lacking a little DOT equipment (at the moment.) Despite how the manufacturers label them, a 650 class machine is not a DS in my mind.
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

Kyler wrote:
anotherguy wrote:
Kyler wrote:
but your question was why this forum isn't "this crowd isn't all over the US getting the 250 Freeride." Most on this forum are DS riders although we have a very vocal population of single track guys.

So how do you account for the popularity of trials bikes among the faithful? :dirtdog:
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

anotherguy wrote:
Kyler wrote:
anotherguy wrote:
Kyler wrote:

So how do you account for the popularity of trials bikes among the faithful? :dirtdog:

I think the comment was made above, "vocal minority".
That said, as land access become more of an issue, close course events will become more popular.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

You can have a lot of fun on a trials bike without a lot of real estate and without the neighbors even being likely to notice, unless they can see you.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

anotherguy wrote:So how do you account for the popularity of trials bikes among the faithful? :dirtdog:
:dry:

:shrug:

:lol2:
Ken
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

thetable wrote: As to all this dual sport nonsense, my 350XCF-W is my DS, despite lacking a little DOT equipment (at the moment.) Despite how the manufacturers label them, a 650 class machine is not a DS in my mind.
I think it depends on what your definition of "DS" is. Your 350XCF-W is a SWEET machine (and next on my list of bikes) but in my mind it is just a tagged dirt bike just like my WR 450 is a tagged dirt bike. Yes, these events we go to like the Hammer, Michaux and RORR are referred to as "dual-sports" but in reality they are trail rides that you need to be tagged for to get from trail to trail. To me, a true DS motorcycle is just as Anotherguy described, it is a bike that does nothing well; that is because they can do EVERYTHING including for real road miles and for real off-road and not just travel from trail to trail like a tagged dirt bike. Perfect examples of this are a WR250, DRZ 400, DR 650, the mighty Honda XRL 650 and maybe even your KLR. If you don't agree with me, I am planning a trip next summer to ride from Baltimore to the Allegheney National forest and then spend several days off roading on the ATV trails. My Honda is the only bike in my stable capable of a 600 mile round trip back road ride coupled with a hundred miles of off-road trail riding. Will I wish I had my Tiger when riding the roads to get there; absolutely, but the Tiger would kill me on the trails. Will I wish I had my WR when we hit the trails; absolutely, but the WR would kill me on the road. However, if you want to ride your 350XCF-W and do this whole trip, I will happily add it to Skinny-J's list of approved for-real DS motorcycles...... :thumbup: