I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

What gear?

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
B00ST00
DAMN Expert

What gear?

Post by B00ST00 »

I currently ride with the bare minimum when it comes to gear. Helmet, goggles, gloves, boots.

What are my options for knee/ elbow protection and what is overkill? I've been trying to ride weekly and would like to compete in hairscrambles next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: What gear?

Post by Bucho »

Just the cheap $15-25 elbow and knee stuff work fine. Then maybe just a simple MX chest/back protector.
Thats what I had for a long time. I finally got a pressure suit/jacket. Probably overkill 98% of the time. But I had a higher speed wreck at the S500 a few years ago. Im convinced that armor saved me from a broken shoulder.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
jgreene
DAMN Expert

Post by jgreene »

I agree with Bucho, I like the cheap knee/shin guards. Have some more expensive ones, but don't like how bulky they are. I never got comfortable with elbow guards so I do not wear them. I also wear a neck brace. May be overkill for trail riding, but it gives me a level of comfort when I am riding over my head. Also always wear a chest protector. Have one that is a little more light weight that I wear under my jersey when just trail riding, but wear a full coverage one when racing.
Member R&T Club, and GMER
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

I've been really happy with the Leatt 3df knee guards. Yeah, there is a little gap between my boot and the knee armor, and yeah, I've found that gap with a tree, but they are comfortable enough and cool enough that I never have to think about whether I "really need them." I have some bigger ones that are far less comfortable, but offer more protection, those never make it into my gear bag anymore, much less myself.

Pressure suit, I always wear one, but I'd be hard pressed to recommend the brand, as it is currently on its last legs, and it's got a few design flaws. Next go round will probably be the Leatt 3df pressure suit or the Forcefield. Soft armor is just way more comfortable for me.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I have the Fox Racing Titan Sport Jacket, Fox Racing Titan Pro knee/shin armor although I find it pretty bulky and I think I'm getting the Fox Racing Titan knee/shin armor very soon, dirt riding pants, jersey, mechanics gloves, and D3O hip armor sewn into my dirt pants. A little overkill, perhaps, but I can't be injured for work and I'm still a total n00b at riding dirt. Someday, I'll probably switch to lighter, better protection and scale back what I wear as well. For now, I'll look like the dorky kid with an overprotective mother and try to keep my bones in tact.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

I'm just too pretty to get all mangled up. Oh, and I don't like getting hurt.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

At least wear the elbows and knees. I cringe when I see people riding w/out any knee armor.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

For dirt- something like this: cheap, easy to slip on, and comfortable. Knee/shin guards.

I tend to fall over, so I always armor up. I can attest to the fact that armor works :thumbup:
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

dirtygrunt wrote:I tend to fall over, so I always armor up. I can attest to the fact that armor works :thumbup:
As Skinny-J can attest, I've been know to launch over the bars a few times. I won't ride without back/spine protection. :doh:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

I used to wear armor suit (I wouldn't really call it a pressure suit, but maybe that's what it is) only when racing because I find it a bit warm while trail riding. But my neck is still sore three weeks later after a high speed getoff while on a dirt road (second time doing this, wtf) at RORR dualsport. I actually don't know if the suit would have helped me with my neck, but it would have prevented the big bruise I had on my arm. I finally got a steering damper that should help in the situation that caused that crash, though.

Anyway, looking at history, pressure suit for races and dual sports and rides that have big sections of dirt roads. But I'll continue to just wear a roost guard for tight, slow woods riding despite my habit of shoulder-checking trees from time to time because otherwise I overheat.

Regardless of what I wear on my chest, I always have helmet, boots, shin guards, and elbow pads. The guards and pads cost $25 or less and have always provided me with enough protection.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200