I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Let's talk GO PROs

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Let's talk GO PROs

Post by Laoch »

So many models now-Hero, Hero-3, Hero-4, white edition :shrug:

What is important- gps, mp, quick capture, are they all water proof vs resistant?

What are needed accessories?

What software is needed to store edit?

Basically, Go Pro for dummies :deal:
Bruce
thetable
DAMN Expert

Re: Let's talk GO PROs

Post by thetable »

I would try to find a used Hero 3 or 3+ black. Lots of people upgrade every itteration and unload the old ones cheap. From the Hero 2HD to the Hero3 pretty big change in optics and sensors.

What you'll need:
MicroSD card- I'd go 32gig, go to GoPro's site and see which they are recommending. It will save some headache from getting a card that isn't up to spec and drops frames.
Mounts- lots of options, but more angles are better.
Chesty harness deal- looks like your wearing a training bra, but for offroad, it offers my favorite viewpoint, especially if you do the hyperview/superwide/whatever-the-really-wide-view is. Far less shaking than the bike mounted.

What you'll want:
Batteries- I'm using the Wasabi with the two bay charger - here
A bigger hard drive- the vids eat up a lot of space, especially if you process them through the GoPro app.

Editing software:
I'm a Mac guy, so no more than I really do with editing, iMovie works fine for me.
GoPro has some software, but I haven't used much of it. I've used it as more of a rough editor to get rid of the hours of crap to get what I actually want.
Adobe has some 30 day free trials of their software. They are pretty much the biggest name in the game for consumer level video editing. Actually most of the companies have some type of free trial.
Years ago, I spent a lot of time looking for an open-source, non linear video editor, and every one I tried was crap. It may have changed since then, and I hope it has.
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

+1 to everything in the above post.

I'd look for a 3+ over a 3 as they are a little better on battery usage (still not that great compared to the 1's and 2's, but the video is way better).

Chesty mount or if your helmet can accommodate it, on the front of the chin bar is the best imo. My old Klim had a perfect flat spot for a sticky mount. My current Airoh not so much.

I just use the GoPro cineform studio for editing. Just have to clear out the extra files it creates every now and then.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Jacob was given a Drift camera for Christmas last year from a friend. I didn't shop it out or compare (would have been looking at Go Pro also) but it seems nice & works well. Don't know anything about editing yet. May be worth a look.

http://store.driftinnovation.com/cameras
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

wifi is nice but the remote control I have is useless. the app for your 'droid works well and also lets you focus it.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Thx for the info. I went with a GoPro Hero Edition. Looks like a basic model.
It's for my son, who is good at breaking things and who has yet to learn the value of a dollar. I'm not even sure where or how he will use it. Looks like a good beginner model.
Bruce
Taylor
DAMN Expert

Post by Taylor »

dirtygrunt wrote:Thx for the info. I went with a GoPro Hero Edition. Looks like a basic model.
It's for my son, who is good at breaking things and who has yet to learn the value of a dollar. I'm not even sure where or how he will use it. Looks like a good beginner model.
That's the one I have and I like it.
2012 Husky WR 125
2009 Husky TE 310
2001 Harley FLHR
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I think I have a Hero 3+ Silver. I have no idea the differences between the models. It wasn't the most expensive one last year but it had features very close to the most expensive version I think.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R