I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Finally got a dirt bike

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Finally got a dirt bike

Post by juddspaintballs »

:cheers: to dirtygrunt. He traded me straight up for my KLR250. I now have his 2000 KTM 250EXC.

I know nothing about KTM's or two strokes! For starters, what fuel/oil mixture do I use?

Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Finally got a dirt bike

Post by gots_a_sol »

I run 40:1 in my Husky. 16oz per 5 gallons.

I use Amsoil Dominator now, but pretty much any name brand oil is going to be fine. I have a brand new gallon of Bel-ray H1R sitting here if you need something quickly :thumbup:
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Happy for you, still a shame to see Dirty let it go but it did stay in the family.
Set up well and ready to ride.
50:1 is fine for that bike / 2.5oz per gal.
Silly simple to keep after them.
Congrats :thumbup:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Nice!

If you've got an android phone this app makes it so you don't have to use your brain when mixing gas (e.g., particularly nice when you top up your gas can with 3.87 gallons of gas and want to know how much oil to put in): https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... om.fueloil
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Good bike for Jed :thumbup:

My knees are getting progressively worse :boohoo:

I need to stick to street, DS and maybe trials for a while. :ride:
Bruce
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Marylander wrote:Nice!

If you've got an android phone this app makes it so you don't have to use your brain when mixing gas (e.g., particularly nice when you top up your gas can with 3.87 gallons of gas and want to know how much oil to put in): https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... om.fueloil
I guess there is an app for pretty much everything...
I never would have thought to look for that. I just downloaded one thanks! I don't do the dualsport thing very often w/ my bike but that will be useful next time I"m filling up directly at the gas pump.
I generally carry a baby bottle filled w/ oil.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Congrats Jed. I hope you end up liking the 2T.

Get some practice with it and bring it out to Hatfield McCoy in April.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

It's got a couple of the things I was looking for in a 2 stroke - flywheel weight and enduro gearing. The different springs to change the "hit" is just a bonus. I may be crazy, but I'm considering a Rekluse for it. I believe that the one that fits this also fits many years and models of other KTM's. I'm also excited that it's got a steering stabilizer and a 18" rear wheel so my tire options are much greater. No starter motor, but it's not all that hard to kick. After I learn how to ride a little better, I may see about getting that dent in the exhaust fixed.

I'm excited and a little scared at the same time. I can see this bike launching me to the moon a few times as I learn how to ride a two stroke, but it's potential off-road is a million times better than that KLR250. If I really wind up liking this one, I may look for a slightly nicer one with a MSO so I can get a tag for it and make it street legal.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Dents in the expansion chamber are standard for woods 2 strokes. ;) I probably get a new ding every ride. It's such a big 'target'.
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

That's a sweet ride. Best thing you can do to it is: run a lot of fuel through it.