I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Anyone use this tire

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Pa_trailrider
DAMN Expert

Anyone use this tire

Post by Pa_trailrider »

Anyone use this tire? https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/74 ... ?term=mt43

I was thinking of putting one on my 300 xcw before I go to Hatfield.
DR 650 DRZ 400 XCW 300
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Re: Anyone use this tire

Post by Ovo »

I havent used one, but I have this ordered from Dual Sport Amory for my berg:

[youtube][/youtube]
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Pa_trailrider wrote:Anyone use this tire? https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/74 ... ?term=mt43

I was thinking of putting one on my 300 xcw before I go to Hatfield.

Works well but not as good as a true radial for off road use, however the MT-43 lasts forever and does work well on the asphalt also the sidewall takes far more abuse than a radial trials tire.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I want to try the Moto-Z Mountain Hybrid, but it's only made in one size right now and it's a bit too big for my 250EXC. I will probably try out a normal trials tire though.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

MT-43, I'd skip it right now with the newer "hybrid" tires coming out. Whenever DSA gets their east coast shipment of motoz in, I'm picking one up, if any are left.

An actual trials tire, Mich X11 is incredible in the rocks, but it has no sidewall strength (part of the reason it works so well.) If speeds are up, it's easy to pinch a tube, and unridable when flat.

I haven't made it down to HM, but I'm gravitating to the S12XC being my safe bet, don't know conditions, tire. It surprised me how competent it is in the rocks, even if I did lose all my leading edge sharpness in one Taskers ride. I might change my mind when I get the X11 back on, in aTuBliss setup.
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

thetable wrote:MT-43, I'd skip it right now with the newer "hybrid" tires coming out. Whenever DSA gets their east coast shipment of motoz in, I'm picking one up, if any are left.

I've got one of them on order, supposed to have it soon.

I liked the mt 43 for trail riding, good traction and it lasts forever. Only real draw back IMO is once it slides/spins it is like being on ice and the lack of side knobs. Hopefully this motoz tire fixes at least the 2nd issue, riding style adjustments can overcome the first.

juddspaintballs wrote:I want to try the Moto-Z Mountain Hybrid, but it's only made in one size right now and it's a bit too big for my 250EXC. I will probably try out a normal trials tire though.

Meh, sprockets can make up for it if it is excessively tall. A normal trials tire is tall also just fyi.

I've got a few different tires here I'll put it up next to for size comparison (pirelli 140/80 xc hard which this is replacing, a 120/100 xc soft, and a d803 trials)
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

The MT43 is a trials type tire,not a trials competition tire. A little stiffer in the sidewall to tolerate higher pressures and speeds. It's not a flexible gumball like the Michelin. Nonetheless running a trials tire off road successfully is dependent on your riding style. If you're a MX style "point and shoot" rider they're not for you. They do not like rolling into a corner,braking hard and throttling out. If you're a "steady Eddie" kinda guy who carefully chooses a line and sticks to it smoothly it's worth a try to see if ya like it. Personally I'd leave all of them other than the Pirelli to trials riders unless you really plonk along on gnarly single track and little else.

On my CRF450 I've had good results with the Bridgestone 402/401 off road. 15PSI front/rear for most situations but I'm a XLG kinda guy. Your results will vary. Flounders a bit in deep mud but I hate that shit anyway. Tend to ride rocky hard pack trails.
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Darwin,

For your riding style the MT-43 would be awesome. IMHO the ideal set-up is to have an x-tra rim with a trials tire mounted so you have the option to run it 75% of the time in the conditions where it excels (hard pack, rocky, roots, wet, even light mud) but then also have a mounted knobbie that you can throw on in 5 minutes when you are expecting nasty mud or sand. Where a trials tire out-performs a knobbie in its favorded conditions, it then gives it back plus some, especially in braking, in the deep mud and sand.

Last year I had the opportunity at the RORR Enduro to run a knobbie and a trials tire back to back on the same bike over the same conditions on the same day. I started the day on the knobbie because it had rained a lot the day before and I thought I would need the knobs, but after flatting the knob and throwing the trials tire on the bike hooked up a lot better on the nasty PA wet rocks and loose coal slag. This convinced me that a trials tire will always be my default tire of choice unless I know its going to be deep mud or sand all day long.

The Motoz hybrid looks sweet and I see it as a real winner in the long run. But for now you can pick-up an MT-43 for $75 where I believe the Motoz is priced north of $100 so I wouldn't hesitate to try an MT-43.....

SJ
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Ive been running an MT43 on the back of my 300 for a while now. Its a great tire, fits my riding style well. Besides all the other good things about the tire I have found this. It wears very well. And even as it wears it still gives great traction. A knobby does not do this. As it wears it gives crappier and crappier traction.
Get one and give it a try. If you dont like it after a few rides, take it off and Ill buy it off you. (For a used price...)
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Pa_trailrider
DAMN Expert

Post by Pa_trailrider »

Thanks for all the info I think im going to try one.
I was going to put one on both of the grandsons bikes too but I think I will stick with knobbies on there bikes. They scare me enough sliding down the hills lol.
DR 650 DRZ 400 XCW 300