I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Getting back into dirt riding in MD?

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
smoke4ndmears
DAMN n00b

Getting back into dirt riding in MD?

Post by smoke4ndmears »

So it has been years since I've been on the dirt, and was but a lad then. It was mostly the gravel pits out near Laurel and whatever odd place my dad trucked us. I gather dirt riding hasn't gotten any easier in this state since those days. :boohoo: For a guy who wants something decent on the trails but plateable (I don't want to always truck the bike to ride it) are there places in the general Frederick vicinity I could scratch my itch? I'm thinking a wr250r or thereabouts would be the ticket. I could even do my commute to Thurmont occasionally when I get tired of having my ears blasted by my superbike. What say you fellas?

/S
FZ1, R6 track rat, Grom.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Getting back into dirt riding in MD?

Post by Rut Row »

been in to DC to one of those new pot places eh? :killingme:

uh, no. No legal offroad around Fredneck.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
frogman1981
DAMN Expert

Post by frogman1981 »

I like being an outlaw. You'll get used to it too!
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Unless you want to go full outlaw like frogman, plan on hauling your bike at least an hour and a half.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
smoke4ndmears
DAMN n00b

Post by smoke4ndmears »

Eh, that's a shame. Not even the odd dirt road around here?

How not legal are we talking? An hour and a half isn't the worst, but it's a shame its further than taking the track rat to Summit.
FZ1, R6 track rat, Grom.
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

What happened to the guy up by Thurmont?
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I like having a plated dirtbike. There are still fun dirtroads and stuff. But they are roads. I still enjoy twisty backroads and dirt roads on my dualsport bike.

Its kind of a pain in the nuts, but make a day out of it and hauling your bike somewhere to play offroad isnt so bad. Though Ive never had the luxury of riding from my house to the trails.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

smoke4ndmears wrote:Eh, that's a shame. Not even the odd dirt road around here?

How not legal are we talking? .
I dont feel its worth the hassle. Besides a possible fine or something if you get caught, I feel it just makes dirtbikers look bad. Gives all the people who hate us more fuel to throw on the fire.

I used to have a spot that was a short hop just outside of Frederick that was sort of "semi-legal". But it was finally developed into some sort of commercial property. There are probably still spots like that here and there but I dont personally know of any.
And the people who do have them generally arent going to tell some stranger over the internet.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

But there is still good riding and fun to be had on bikes. Just be willing to drive.
We are having some fun rides coming up soon. Check our rides page. A few guys are going oit to play next weekend.
A group of us are going to Hatfield-McCoy, West Virginia in April for a couple days. (Yes, a bit longer than an hour and a half drive...)
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

smoke4ndmears wrote:Eh, that's a shame. Not even the odd dirt road around here?
dirt roads? different question! Yes, there are a lot of dirt roads that can be entertaining. The watershed has quite a few. A bit further up the road to PA (an easy ride) is the Michaux area - a bazillion dirt roads.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris