I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Need practice course ideas

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I've got 10 acres of hills to play with here and most of it is field. I want to throw out some obstacles to start practicing on. Varying sized logs are going to happen. I just picked up two big loader tires I'm going to bury halfway in the ground right beside each other for going over as well. Any other ideas? I've got a pretty good sized tractor with front end loader and currently also have my dad's little skid loader here to help me build.

Of course, I'll also need test dummies eventually too. :cheers:

Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: Need practice course ideas

Post by Laoch »

I'd say ask Mike, but you have no logs :lol2:
Bruce
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

You can dig a u shaped rut about a shovels width & about 15 or 20 feet across with a constant radius. We got this idea from a Shane Watts class & put one in in our yard. Harder than it sounds, I mess it up about half the time :lol2: Jacob can pretty much rail it in either direction.

We also have a telephone pole, you practice riding the lenth standing up with one tire on each side. This teaches balance & keeping the bike going where you want while sliding.

Some other things are; practice slow rides, standing, stopping & moving just enough to keep your balance, wheelies, stoppies, & you mentioned log crossings... different sizes, cross em on an angle... two in a row. Also cones to do figure eights or ovals around, they can be at like 50' apart.

These were all in the Shane Watts class. The key of course is practicing the drills. The class doesn't make you a better rider, seat time does & the drills teach skills that come into play when riding.
Jacob does all this in our yard & shows in riding ability.
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

J&J wrote:You can dig a u shaped rut about a shovels width & about 15 or 20 feet across with a constant radius. We got this idea from a Shane Watts class & put one in in our yard. Harder than it sounds, I mess it up about half the time :lol2: Jacob can pretty much rail it in either direction.

We also have a telephone pole, you practice riding the lenth standing up with one tire on each side. This teaches balance & keeping the bike going where you want while sliding.
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

:lol2: We haven't built a full circle rut, ours is just a half..... don't think he could rail that one yet, I'll show him this post for inspiration. :hi5:
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

While the rut is fun a flat turn teaches control,bike,throttle and speed.
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

anotherguy wrote:While the rut is fun a flat turn teaches control,bike,throttle and speed.
Yup, that's what the cones are for. The rut teaches you how to put the front tire on the line you want.... if you don't do it right you blow over the side.
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

J&J wrote:
anotherguy wrote:While the rut is fun a flat turn teaches control,bike,throttle and speed.
Yup, that's what the cones are for. The rut teaches you how to put the front tire on the line you want.... if you don't do it right you blow over the side.
And that's what the log grinding is for.
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Yeah, a flat, open field is the most useful 'obstacle'. ;) You can get little cones by the bunch from sporting goods stores in the soccer department.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I've got a telephone pole already.
I have enough woods and chainsaws I can have whatever logs I need as long as my tractor can move them.
The circle rut looks awesome. I might need to build one of them too.

I'm installing the tires Friday and then riding afterwards. Anyone is welcome to join us. Looks like I'll have a couple people here already.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R