I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

No MotoGP in the US 2016

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

No MotoGP in the US 2016

Post by Firebolter »

MotoGP in the US is now a thing of the past. I am glad I got to attend the Inaugural event at Laguna Seca in 2005 and then I attended at Indy 2008-2013. Some of you DAMN guys went with me in 13 and we had a good time. Interesting factoid, the first race ever run at Indy was a motorcycle race when the track was first built! Below is the email I got from Indy today-----

MOTOGP WILL NOT RETURN IN 2016

Following eight years of delivering world class motorcycle racing, the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix will not be on the 2016 event schedule for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The award winning MotoGP event was first hosted at IMS in partnership with Dorna Sports in September of 2008. The cancellation of the race was a mutual decision by both parties.

“This outcome reflects the best interests of both the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Dorna Sports,” said J. Douglas Boles, President of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. “We are proud of our efforts to increase attendance in recent years and successfully host a truly international sporting and cultural event. We’re also thankful to Dorna Sports for its strong support and partnership since 2008. However, the timing is right to pursue other opportunities that drive greater revenue for both the Speedway and our Central Indiana economy.”

In 2014, the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix earned recognition from Dorna as the “Best Grand Prix” of the 2014 season, becoming the first North American race to earn this honor. The redesigned and improved IMS road course, as well as supporting events such as Motorcycles on Meridian helped secure this recognition.

However, following the removal of the Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca from the MogoGP schedule in 2014, the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix became the only summer MotoGP event in North America for the last two seasons. This caused both financial and logistical challenges that no longer made the event viable for the foreseeable future. Ultimately, removing the Indianapolis race became key to Dorna’s efforts to expand both the number of events it hosts and the geographic diversity of its schedule.

“Bringing MotoGP to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway has been a tremendously rewarding experience,” said Dorna Sports Chief Executive Officer Carmelo Ezpeleta. “The historic track, professional staff and welcoming host community produced an annual event that was enjoyed by all. While both sides recognize it’s the right time to pause this relationship, the door is not closed on future collaborations together should current circumstances change.”

Fans who renewed tickets for 2016 following the 2015 race will receive full reimbursements. Ticket holders seeking additional information can call the IMS Ticket Office at 317-492-6700.

IMS is now exploring new racing events and concerts for 2016 and beyond. Central to next year’s schedule is the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500, an unrivaled celebration of sporting excellence, tradition and many years of compelling racing to come. It is also supported by longstanding events including the Crown Royal 400 at the Brickyard and recent additions such as the Angie’s List Grand Prix of Indianapolis and the Brickyard Vintage Racing Invitational.
Lots of cool bikes---
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Re: No MotoGP in the US 2016

Post by Marylander »

What about Texas?
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Yep, they'll still be in Austin in April.
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Yeah, I meant Indy and I said US. Here is the 2016 sched DORMA announced

1 20/03 Qatar Losail International Circuit
2 03/04 Argentina Termas de Río Hondo
3 10/04 Americas Circuit Of The Americas
4 24/04 Spain Jerez de la Frontera *
5 08/05 France Le Mans
6 22/05 Italy Mugello
7 05/06 Catalunya Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya
8 26/06 Netherlands TT Assen
9 10/07 Germany Sachsenring
10 17/07 Great Britain Silverstone
11 14/08 Austria Red Bull Ring
12 21/08 Czech Republic Brno *
13 11/09 San Marino e della Riviera di Rimini Misano
14 25/09 Aragon MotorLand Aragon
15 09/10 Malaysia Sepang International Circuit
16 16/10 Japan Twin Ring Motegi
17 23/10 Australia Phillip Island
18 06/11 Valencia Comunitat Valenciana - Ricardo Tormo
Lots of cool bikes---
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

On a related note this has been one of the best seasons in awhile... Anxious for tomorrow.
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Huh, that sucks. I had penciled Indy 2016 on the calender. :doh:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.