I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

KTM Freeride 250 vs Beta 300 X ride

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: KTM Freeride 250 vs Beta 300 X ride

Post by Bucho »

BDMaha wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:22 am Hello there my rock loving friends. I'm curious how both freeride and xtrainers have been treating you guys for the last few years? After figuring out how to ride fast rocky trails. I wanna get back to taskers and cove to learn how to handle myself there on slow stuff. What years are best to get? Did they both change in 2017?
Bryan
Yeah, like Mike says “it depends on what you want”.

I like my Xtrainer and am still happy with it. While its often lumped in with the enduro-trials hybrid type bikes its actually NOT. I feel its still an enduro/dirtbike. The slightly smaller size, lower seat height, soft suspension, and engine tune make it great for slower speed gnarlier terrain.

Come out to one of my Emmitsburg rides. You can play with mine. So many of the terms we throw out “speed”, “gnarly terrain”, etc... Are very relative. My super fast is another guy’s cruising pace.
A test ride is really the way to go. You can ride my Beta Xtrainer and my Sherco trials bike too
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
BDMaha
DAMN Expert

Post by BDMaha »

Thank you guys! I started with wanting a 300 ktm that people I ride with say they so great. But exploring my options. I'm looking spevificly for a rocky learning bike. Oh it has to be 2 stroke cause never had one and I do love the smell and noise. Dumb reason but that's what I got.
2018 KTM 500 Exc-f
2017 Husky TX300
2016 Honda 500x RR
BDMaha
DAMN Expert

Post by BDMaha »

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/stor ... ust-smell/

Scientific proof why I like 2 strokes...
2018 KTM 500 Exc-f
2017 Husky TX300
2016 Honda 500x RR
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Don't rule out ktm150, beta 200 2t Also newer kawi 230? 2t and some newer 125 2ts.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce
BDMaha
DAMN Expert

Post by BDMaha »

How has the Xtrainer been holding up? Easy getting parts? How long you guys getting on cylinders?
2018 KTM 500 Exc-f
2017 Husky TX300
2016 Honda 500x RR
BDMaha
DAMN Expert

Post by BDMaha »

how is the fueling and oil system. Does carb need jetted when its new like a ktm? how does it run at higher elevation?
2018 KTM 500 Exc-f
2017 Husky TX300
2016 Honda 500x RR
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I think its holding up fairly well. The plastic seems to brake a little easier than my old KTM...
Ive done one top end job since owning.

I kinda like the oil injection system. It seems to work well. Ive had no issues with it.

I didnt get my Xtrainer brand new. It was slightly used. Im not sure if he had to play with carb/jetting stuff.
But I did use a JD jet kit when I took the bike out to Colorado. I just followed the directions and used their suggestions. Worked fine for me.

I generally order my parts online. They ship straight to my house.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

I think the X Trainer has many VERY good aspects - particularly for non-tall folks.
However, the stock suspension is not too good. My friend Vicki Nielsen has one that I rode a little and she has done the relatively low dollar fork upgrade from Beta which helps.

In talking to Beta US HQ in CA I learned that one can order and X-Trainer and have the CA HQ place swap out the suspension for essentially the regular Beta enduro bike stuff AND they will lower it and set the valving and springs up for your weight and riding style. This isn't cheap but is WAY cheaper that doing it after the fact as you get credit for the stock parts and I THINK the set-up tailoring is free or at least cheap.
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Not sure how to reply to your "want to learn to ride rocks" then comment other friends on 300 KTM's.
If just riding the trails at the Cove and other rocky areas most enduro bikes with good suspension set up for you and your kind of riding will work better than a Freeride or X-trainer or X-ride.
The 3 specialized bikes I just listed all have some trials blood in them with X-trainer the least and X-ride the most. All have steep fork rake, good for impact and launch but piss poor at helping flow and hold a line at trail speed on a general rocky trail.
If wanting a slightly smaller feel enduro bike then the X-trainer is the ticket. Good bike if standing and driving with your feet but when I would sit for one the pipe was against my knee and I am not a tall rider but worse was it would dance me all over the trail when sitting.....stand up and no problem to hit a 24" log and cross. The Freeride for me is closer to trials related with rake and not having a power valve it has no surprise hit. Think 1974 DT-250 Yamaha.....just chugs and pulls forever. It runs 80:1 mix so again more trials like. I a rock garden where stuck between big rocks or at a large log and you need to cross at 90 degree angle....no problem..just plant my foot and pivot like my trials bike..just with a bit more effort. The Freeride is far lighter thus easier to pick up when you dirt nap. Overall friendly bike but if trying to hold pace with 300 enduro bikes you will do well when they are pushing but once open trail hits you will eat dust as if you attempt to sit down and ride aggressive you will dirt nap hard....stand up and ride aggressive and it does fine. Still a bunch available for sale. Stock they run and sound like a sick cow. Some jetting changes and I am happy and find it fun to play with for tight hard trail but would die trying to do more dual sport based ride.
The X-ride is from Sherco. Trials bike with a real seat and bigger tank. Very crude but will run forever. Cheater bike for trail #199 at Hatfield..hell yes. If learning to "ride rocks" go buy a used 250 enduro. Toss it around and sell when you have some more skills developed and buy what flavor enduro bike you like. If a plate is not important then a Yamaha YZX is a bunch of bike for the $$$....need to man up and kick it....no cheater button.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
BDMaha
DAMN Expert

Post by BDMaha »

Thank you guys. I have a 500 to ride on fast stuff like peters mill run and Hatfield. My comment about others 300s is I love the smell, noise, and low COG. Im looking for a second smaller dirt bike for single track; like the trails I tapped out on when I went with you guys at Mountain Ridge a few years ago. Rock run single track, Taskers and the Cove. After listening and reading it seems a 2018 or newer Beta Xtrainer may be what I want. My trusted mechanic, John Ross says they are total garbage but I know he is a racer and may not understand a desire to slowly ride technical stuff.
2018 KTM 500 Exc-f
2017 Husky TX300
2016 Honda 500x RR