I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

KTM Freeride 250 vs Beta 300 X ride

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: KTM Freeride 250 vs Beta 300 X ride

Post by Boom Boom »

Just pick up a 250 or 300 KTM smoker. Many wear parts will exchange with what you have now.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

You already own a '18 500 EXC (it it de-smogged?). Unless you buy an even newer 300 XCW it isn't going to weigh less or make more power. We did some figuring and the 2020 KTM four stroke is like only 13# more than the two stroke. Some of that is in the stock tires so the actual difference is even less. If you can't ride the 500 though rocks, a 300 isn't going to make any difference. (Esp if the older two stroke has worse suspension.) Not trying to be a d*$%, just state facts.

I'm surprised BoomBoom hasn't said it yet: Want to learn how to ride rocks? Buy a trials bike. Even better, go get training on it. (I can't wait for the next TTC class!) It will make you a better technical rider. Period.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I'm no great rider but feel I'm pretty competent in rocks. More than anything I think commitment is what makes the difference in being decent in rocks. By that I mean, if you're in a straight rock section put the thing in 3rd and get on the gas. Let go of your fear. :thumbup: I'm talking about stuff like you find at taskers or the rock garden on the blue trail at the cove and not the big rocks on the jeep trails. If you're on the gas in 3rd gear you can kind of float on top of the rocks.

Anyway, just throwing that out there.

I've got a xtrainer myself and put CC marzocchi forks and a fox shock on it. I mostly did the suspension because I plan to keep the bike long term and I had the money so, why not? :killingme: I bought the bike after following Phil on his for a few rides and thinking, "that bike does just fine and Phil's a good rider". Coming off a 2000 kx250 it seemed very docile at first but I've looped it a couple times nonetheless. :loveit:
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I'm very seriously considering a newer 300 2T as my next trail bike. They'll be a LOT lighter than my old 450 and probably make comparable (or more) power. Add in a Rekluse, LHRB, and steering damper and it'll practically be a cheater bike.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

juddspaintballs wrote:I'm very seriously considering a newer 300 2T as my next trail bike. They'll be a LOT lighter than my old 450 and probably make comparable (or more) power. Add in a Rekluse, LHRB, and steering damper and it'll practically be a cheater bike.
Two choices right? Orange or blue?
Beta?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I like the orange or blue KTM's, but I also like the Beta 300RR. Either way, I want something I don't need to mix the fuel in. I'm not a die-hard orange fan, but there's no denying that they're good machines and can be picked up easily.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Laoch wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:56 am
juddspaintballs wrote:I'm very seriously considering a newer 300 2T as my next trail bike. They'll be a LOT lighter than my old 450 and probably make comparable (or more) power. Add in a Rekluse, LHRB, and steering damper and it'll practically be a cheater bike.
Two choices right? Orange or blue?
Beta?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
There's orange, Red, Blue and Blue from the Euro land. My new "Blue" 250 actually makes my orange 300 seem underpowered and it is set up really good. And you can get the other "blue" in TPI as well as a carb version. Lot's of choices out there for sure.
Lots of cool bikes---