I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Riding Difference 2t vs 4t

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Piledup
DAMN n00b

Riding Difference 2t vs 4t

Post by Piledup »

Look, I'm not trying to start a debate over which is better and all that noise, but as of right now I'm on the verge of jumping from my 350 xcf 4 stroke over to a 300 xc 2 stroke, and I'm just wondering what to expect when throwing a leg over the smoker..

I know there is a lack of engine breaking which I am used to since I have the rekluse in my 4t.. I'm just wondering what else to expect? Everything I have read and everyone I have talked to says the 300 produces power in a very linear way compared to most MX type two strokes.. I'm particularly interested in opinions from the guys that either have one of each or have had decent time in on both.. is the throttle super touchy, will it feel twitchy and unplanted, etc...

I am really curious to try out the 2t and it sounds like the fun factor would definitely be higher, but it's not too late to just update the 4t either... thanks
2015 KTM 350 XCF
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Riding Difference 2t vs 4t

Post by BigBird »

FYI a Rekluse does NOT significantly affect engine braking so you will have a lot less with a 2 stroke.
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Personally, Im a huge 2T fan. However, it is sort of a whatever you prefer kinda thing.
The 300xc is much more linear in power compared to the old "light switch" on/off power of the old MX bikes. However, there is still a powerband and you can totally get yourself into trouble by getting into the power and when you dont mean to. Some guys have used the G2 Throttle Tamer and swear by them. Im not sure if there is a power difference btw the 300xc and 300xcw. But the xcw has a wider range transmission.
You tend to have to shift a little more and learn to use the clutch. Unless you go the Rekluse/ left hand rear brake route.

To me the lack of engine braking was a big deal. I never realized how crappy my braking technique was. It took me a little bit to get used to it.

2Ts tend to run cooler. Ive never had my 2Ts boil over when doing lots of first gear gnarly terrain. But other guys in my group were having trouble w/ their 4Ts.

2Ts tend to feel a little less "planted". The front end just feels a little twitchier compaired to a similar 4T. Though this also seems to make them feel a little more nimble and easier to manuever too.

In tougher gnastier terrain, I just prefer the lighter weight of the 2Ts. When you do have to pick your bike up and/or muscle it around. The lighter weight doesnt murder you so much by the end of the day.

There is mixing gas and oil. This really isnt a big deal. Most of the time you can use a RatioRite cup and get a perfect mix in your gas can before you pour it in. However, mixing it in your tank at the fuel pump on dualsport rides isnt really a big deal. Its just a little math. And now there are free Aps on your smart phone to help you if you want.
Or get a Beta w/ oil injection!

4Ts biggest benefit is they tend to get much better traction. They feel more planted. The modern ones are getting very light weight. They make amazing hp compaired to the old ones. They just tend to be a bit more comfy and easier to ride if you do much dualsporting.

Im sure I forgot some stuff.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Piledup
DAMN n00b

Post by Piledup »

BigBird wrote:FYI a Rekluse does NOT significantly affect engine braking so you will have a lot less with a 2 stroke.

Mine did.. It's the reason you can't bump start a bike with a Rekluse, and why I can push it around in 3rd as easily as when it's in neutral. You can bump the throttle when coasting and the revs will give you some engine braking for a second, but it fades away as the revs do and the clutch disengages.. There may be still be less with the 2t, but the Rekluse definitely reduces engine braking.. I'm not arguing just sharing my experience..
2015 KTM 350 XCF
Piledup
DAMN n00b

Post by Piledup »

Bucho wrote:Personally, Im a huge 2T fan. However, it is sort of a whatever you prefer kinda thing.
The 300xc is much more linear in power compared to the old "light switch" on/off power of the old MX bikes. However, there is still a powerband and you can totally get yourself into trouble by getting into the power and when you dont mean to. Some guys have used the G2 Throttle Tamer and swear by them. Im not sure if there is a power difference btw the 300xc and 300xcw. But the xcw has a wider range transmission.
You tend to have to shift a little more and learn to use the clutch. Unless you go the Rekluse/ left hand rear brake route.

To me the lack of engine braking was a big deal. I never realized how crappy my braking technique was. It took me a little bit to get used to it.

2Ts tend to run cooler. Ive never had my 2Ts boil over when doing lots of first gear gnarly terrain. But other guys in my group were having trouble w/ their 4Ts.

2Ts tend to feel a little less "planted". The front end just feels a little twitchier compaired to a similar 4T. Though this also seems to make them feel a little more nimble and easier to manuever too.

In tougher gnastier terrain, I just prefer the lighter weight of the 2Ts. When you do have to pick your bike up and/or muscle it around. The lighter weight doesnt murder you so much by the end of the day.

There is mixing gas and oil. This really isnt a big deal. Most of the time you can use a RatioRite cup and get a perfect mix in your gas can before you pour it in. However, mixing it in your tank at the fuel pump on dualsport rides isnt really a big deal. Its just a little math. And now there are free Aps on your smart phone to help you if you want.
Or get a Beta w/ oil injection!

4Ts biggest benefit is they tend to get much better traction. They feel more planted. The modern ones are getting very light weight. They make amazing hp compaired to the old ones. They just tend to be a bit more comfy and easier to ride if you do much dualsporting.

Im sure I forgot some stuff.
thanks for the awesome feedback.. I'm a little anxious about switching.

I love to ride and I don't mind a little work, but I've come a little ways on the 4t now and I'm worried that I'll be starting from scratch.. The main draw to the 2t for me is the flickability, and fun factor.. But I'm comparing that to my last gen 350.. the new 350 was also completely redesigned, and is much lighter and sharper than mine as well.. So the new 4t may be what I'm looking for too.. It's a tough one...
2015 KTM 350 XCF
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Piledup wrote:
BigBird wrote:FYI a Rekluse does NOT significantly affect engine braking so you will have a lot less with a 2 stroke.

Mine did.. It's the reason you can't bump start a bike with a Rekluse, and why I can push it around in 3rd as easily as when it's in neutral. You can bump the throttle when coasting and the revs will give you some engine braking for a second, but it fades away as the revs do and the clutch disengages.. There may be still be less with the 2t, but the Rekluse definitely reduces engine braking.. I'm not arguing just sharing my experience..

Then its not adjusted properly. Check your free-play gain like Rekluse recommends. My WR is rock-solid with engine braking and the Rekluse....
Piledup
DAMN n00b

Post by Piledup »

I retract.. You do have some engine braking until the rpms drop to a point of nearly idle. then it freewheels.. this is probably way less noticeable than on a 2t if it's gone as soon as you let off the gas.. So as I think about it, when I come into a corner or start a downhill the braking is still there.. wonder how many corners i'll over shoot..lol

I'm really torn on this new bike... I don't think I know what will happen until tomorrow when I'm rolling one out the door :shrug:
2015 KTM 350 XCF
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Piledup wrote:[

thanks for the awesome feedback.. I'm a little anxious about switching.

I love to ride and I don't mind a little work, but I've come a little ways on the 4t now and I'm worried that I'll be starting from scratch.. The main draw to the 2t for me is the flickability, and fun factor.. But I'm comparing that to my last gen 350.. the new 350 was also completely redesigned, and is much lighter and sharper than mine as well.. So the new 4t may be what I'm looking for too.. It's a tough one...

Flickable and more fun, that sounds like you'd like a 2T.

I'd say just buy one. If you turn out not being able to get your 2T groove on, you can always sell it and go back to a 4T.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Just do it :chicken:

:lol2:
Bruce
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba