I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Tires Tires Tires

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: Tires Tires Tires

Post by Laoch »

Take it to a shop. Fug the aggravation. That's my plan.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

juddspaintballs wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:13 pm Warm tire and lube. Front tires suck to change with Tubliss only because you can't get the 2nd bead and the Tubliss in the valley very easily.
Yeah, the tire was cold. I had it lubed pretty good. I couldn't get the thing down in the valley at all. It's on there now. We'll see if it holds air tomorrow. :dry:
Laoch wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:25 pm Take it to a shop. Fug the aggravation. That's my plan.
Yeah, I think that way more and more as time passes. I was pretty close this evening. Or just buying another wheel, super heavy duty tube, and tire. :lol2: I would like to have 2 sets of wheels. Also, I wish I hadn't sold one of the old bikes as I've got no spare now.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I just got a tire changing stand from RMATV. It will mostly be used for the bead breaker on street tires, but I could see using the bead breaker to help push that last bit of a dirt tire on the wheel too.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/part ... -breaker-p

Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

That's not a bad idea. I've got a no mar changer, with bead breaker, for my street tires. I'll give that a shot next time, assuming I stick with the tubliss.
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

I just installed Tubliss and wasn't about to trust the tire changer kid at the Yamazukionda dealer with that. I looked at the Harbor Freight and No Mar and decided the HF was a ill functioning POS, the No Mar cost too much to leave that much hassle in changing a tire, and nope, I don't change enough tires to warrant a Weaver or some such - so I went the same way as juddspaintballs:

With the right technique, it's not terrible. I keep thinking that I did this job with a hammer and a couple of screwdrivers when I was a teenager so this is way better than just dropping down on the floor and wrestling with it. I don't know how well this'll work on the big tires I have on the other bikes but for this, it got the job done. And, it even came in Yamaha blue.

In other news, I've shed the OEM tires and now ready to ride some trails.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I like the no mar (I've got the chinese made cycle hill branded one) for changing street tires. I don't find it helpful for dirt tires. It's more than paid for itself in the ~10 years I've had it. Any DAMN riders who wants to trek to my house is welcome to use it...

I saw the beadbuster on Allen's site (http://www.dualsportarmory.com/products ... -tool.html) and it looks kind of interesting. Some sport touring tires (especially the bias ply tires on my old concours) have been really tough to break the bead on. This thing looks like it'd made quick work even of those tires.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

The tire changer I just bought is $75. It holds your wheel AND breaks the bead.

I have a HF tire changer for the street tires. I put the plastic adapters on it so it doesn't scratch wheels and I removed most of the other pieces of it. It's essentially just a wheel holder for street bikes while I change the tires using a couple of Stubby tools (those work really well, btw).
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R