I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Cold & wet weather off road gear

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Cold & wet weather off road gear

Post by Bucho »

Rut Row wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:46 am I rode in the snow on one Shen500 ride and froze everything freezable. I bought some Klim ADV style gear after that for DS rides. I love my Badlands jacket!
For riding the normal offroad stuff we do, generally the speeds are slowish and you are working hard enough to sweat.

However, for more dualsport/offroading where there is also higher speed dirt roads (like Ken is referring too), you really need something more. I've been considering some sort of enduro jacket. I got my start in motorcycling as a road rider so I'm a little bit of an Aerostich fanboy. I've considered a Darien Lite jacket as a top layer for dualsporting. I know KLIM has some great stuff too.

Riding at Granville's is tough enough riding that you will be sweating. And if you aren't, go wait at one of the tougher hill climbs and help guys who are having trouble. Pick up a few bikes and push some guys up the hill and you will be sweating buckets in no time.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Thanks all. Will give me something to work on.
Taylor wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:34 am Insulated cover-all’s, they don’t look cool but you won’t get wet or muddy.
I've been wearing my Carhartt arctic bibs and coat when riding the trials bike around the yard in the snow. But they get soaked fast in the rain.
I guess I just need to get out and try some short rides. I know when moving & working it I'll need far less protection than when stopped. The survivalist in me says I need more in case something goes wrong. I've gone over the bars into a creek on the mtb in near freezing weather. Very glad I had wool on but the ~30min ride back to the car SUCKED. If I had broken the bike (or myself) and wasn't able to pedal out it would have taken much longer. I wouldn't have had the aerobic output to keep my wet-self warm either.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Nobody
DAMN Poohba

Post by Nobody »

Bucho wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:56 pm
Rut Row wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:46 am I rode in the snow on one Shen500 ride and froze everything freezable. I bought some Klim ADV style gear after that for DS rides. I love my Badlands jacket!
I got my start in motorcycling as a road rider so I'm a little bit of an Aerostich fanboy.
Noticed than in the 2017 KAT ride :lol2:
Every day is a good day when you ride
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Nobody wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:34 pm
I got my start in motorcycling as a road rider so I'm a little bit of an Aerostich fanboy.
Noticed than in the 2017 KAT ride :lol2:
[/quote]

Yeah, its the only other riding gear I have. Worked great on the road sections and when it rained. Not so good for the pure offroad stuff...
Need something else
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200