I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Mountain bike trails

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Mountain bike trails

Post by gots_a_sol »

Recently picked up a new to me bike for tooling around the race pits but I now want to actually try some trails on it. Been googling for areas to go around here but would like to hear some DAMN opinions on areas to check out.

-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Mountain bike trails

Post by Bucho »

It seems like there are mountain bike trail freaking everywhere. I'd just go hit the nearest ones.

Living in Frederick, Gambrils and the Watershed are very close to me. Rocky with some steep bits, they are difficult to me.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Where are you?? Frederick vs La Plata makes a big difference.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Charles Town, WV.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Go talk to the owner of Ridersville. Harold is big into mountain biking and I'm pretty sure there are a ton of trails around here, especially in Sleepy Creek.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Seems like there ought to be some place to go in jefferson county... I bet you could get Sam to take you out to the frederick watershed.

https://www.singletracks.com/West-Virgi ... ls_48.html
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

For what it's worth, I've ridden a few of the gated trails at Sleepy Creek. I suck at pedaling, so I didn't go too far, but they aren't bad trails. The gates are currently open, which means I can take the 1090 or 450 on the trails if I wanted...
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I looked up gambrills and I think that's one of the places a rode a tiny bit when I was in my 20s. It was pretty tough although mountain biking can be a lot of work, seems like you're always going uphill, and I was there with the road racing bicycle club I belonged to. I was not great at climbing on the road compared to those guys and they just killed me on the uphills off road.

You could do the downhill thing. There are ski lodges that'll take your bike to the top and then you ride down. Adam would know a lot more about that than me. Downhill gear is like lightweight dirt bike gear.

I bought a bike myself a couple months ago and plan to play around a little bit on trails over here but mine's not a mountain bike (they call it a gravel bike, kind of like a dualsport equivalent) and doesn't have the high bottom bracket or flat bars like a mountain bike. It's got pretty fat tires though. I got it to replace some running with cycling.
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

a buddy of mine grew up in Elkridge/Ellicott City on Landing Rd. We used to ride in this area, parking is limited on Landing Rd but there are other places to park. His backyard connected to the trails so we didn't have too much issue.
https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/701013 ... e-patapsco
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Here's mine. It's sat in the garage the past year and a half without getting out...

Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R