I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Trials Bug nibbling at me

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Trials Bug nibbling at me

Post by Twist »

I'm catching myself spending a lot of time watching those whacky Aussies and their trials cross-training videos and watching/reading reviews of trials bikes. I'm thinking this might be the time to scratch that itch I've had for a long long time. I'm posting up here asking for advice about the best way to proceed.

There's a couple of older used Beta trials bikes on consignment at South Mountain Cycle and I might try to get up there to check them out. I don't know if this will ever progress to the point that I'm riding observed trials but I've got an open mind about it. It seems like there's a pretty deep well of knowledge here in this forum and I'd love to get some advice. For perspective, I'd consider myself an intermediate dual sport rider that's put several hundred single track miles on my WR250R this past year. It would be interesting to me to answer the call of those gnarly single tracks with better skills and weapon than my WRR.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Trials Bug nibbling at me

Post by Boom Boom »

Bike at South Mountain is probably one of Bruces bikes.
Any trials bike will help with being able to learn harder stuff without having a 400 lb bike toss you around like a rag.
I currently have a 2016 Scorpa 300 for $4400 that needs a new home. Picking up new bike in a couple weeks so need the $$$$. Vintage is growing big time but just for fun factor the newer you can afford the easier to ride and parts are no issue for newer (unless talking Gas Gas...still uneasy with what is happening with KTM take over).
I am in Carlisle, a drive to my place and you are welcome to try modern to vintage.
If just wanting a trail buster a vintage like the TY-350 Yamahas I have work fine...over built like most of what Yamaha does.
You do not need to ride trials events to have fun.
Not to often do you read about a buddy out for a while from a faster crash....most our crashes involve flop and roll method.
Add a basic brush defector to keep vines away from Cables and you can flow thru the woods at a good clip. The older vintage bikes hold more fuel so have a modest travel range and a basic seat so on easy stuff you can sit and rest. Vintage bikes can be had from $1500 - $3500 pending condition and demand. I have a Fantic 301 in mint condition I was riding yesterday and working well....I would need $2500 for that and I have a pair of Yamaha 350's in different stages of modification. The one I got from Colorado has a bigger tank and seat. Friend of mine used it to take his fishing pole and go to the remote ponds for some fly fishing.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Not sure you can view this as posted on a private site. If you are on Facebook go to Pittsburg Motorcycle Trials and ask to join and one of us will approve you. My Scorpa is posted there. The video is a group of friends just out having fun seeing who we can talk into the next bigger rocks. Have a pair of young boys join us that is the future of all motorcycling....so polite and determined. Loved the time I could spend with them.
We have kids from 7 to grand parents 77 along with mother and dad all out having a good time. Bikes are modestly quiet and can spend all day on a few acres. This location is in Acme Pa and will be hosting a vintage event this October there.
This gives you a good vibe of local trials.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Twist wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:00 pm I'm catching myself spending a lot of time watching those whacky Aussies and their trials cross-training videos and watching/reading reviews of trials bikes. I'm thinking this might be the time to scratch that itch I've had for a long long time. I'm posting up here asking for advice about the best way to proceed.

There's a couple of older used Beta trials bikes on consignment at South Mountain Cycle and I might try to get up there to check them out. I don't know if this will ever progress to the point that I'm riding observed trials but I've got an open mind about it. It seems like there's a pretty deep well of knowledge here in this forum and I'd love to get some advice. For perspective, I'd consider myself an intermediate dual sport rider that's put several hundred single track miles on my WR250R this past year. It would be interesting to me to answer the call of those gnarly single tracks with better skills and weapon than my WRR.
Barry Morris and his enduro/trial crosstraining videos are great.

I'd tell you to just do it. Get a modern bike unless you would enjoy a vintage. Sonny/Aai has that Beta 4T with a "long ride kit". Has a seat with extra fuel. He seems to enjoy using that as his single track/dirtbike.

I just got a trials bike for myself this past September (?). Im very happy with it. It has been a lot of fun to play around on it. I really just got it for the "cross-training". I wanted it to improve my skills for when I'm riding my dirtbike or dualsport on a gnarly trail. I feel like it already has improved my balance. It has also helped me to be a little less of a lazy sit-down rider and I'm better and more comfortable standing.

I had ZERO interest in competing at observed trials. However, back in July there was a closeby event and I happened to have the day free. I had planned to go watch a few friends compete and I had both Bruce and Mike offer me a bike and tell me to ride.
I ended up riding Bruce's modern bike. I had a really good time. The competition is really laid back. You are just competing with yourself so to speak. At the lower level, its pretty hard to get hurt.
While I don't plan to go to every event and chase any sort of season points (not sure if thats even a thing?), I do plan on doing some competitions this year when I"m not working and have the day free.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

save yourself some pain and get an electric trials bike :shrug:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Rut Row wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:29 pm save yourself some pain and get an electric trials bike :shrug:
Its not exactly a trials bike but a few guys have been having some fun with the SurRon electric bikes. The stealth/quiet factor is pretty sweet for neighborhood play
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

What Phil and Mike said.
Get a used modem trials and give it a whirl.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Rut Row wrote:save yourself some pain and get an electric trials bike :shrug:
Unless you want to work in clutch control.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

here's another channel to feed the lil monster :thumbup: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPrnKO ... QYA/videos
Member Laoch (Bruce) told me at the last ride at Emmitsburg I should start working on stationary balance. Worked on it for 30 minutes everyday for a week and finally broke that ice. Worked on it to the point it triggered my gout :lol2: but I got that sucker and it feels good. Now working on the opposite direction of wheel.
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Laoch wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:35 pm
Rut Row wrote:save yourself some pain and get an electric trials bike :shrug:
Unless you want to work in clutch control.
the newest ones have clutches :duel:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris