I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Chip shortages causing GM to drop fuel savings function

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Chip shortages causing GM to drop fuel savings function

Post by Firebolter »

General Motors will begin building some full-size trucks without a key fuel-saving feature next week due to the ongoing semiconductor chip shortage affecting the industry. The start/stop function shuts off the engine when the vehicle is not in motion and automatically restarts it when the driver takes their foot off of the Brake. It is common on many internal combustion engine-powered vehicles today.
A GM spokesman told The Detroit Free Press that the change would result in a 1 to 2 mpg drop in the combined fuel economy rating for the trucks and that the price would be reduced by $50.
The change affects certain trim levels of the following 5.3-liter and 6.2-liter V8-powered models with 10-speed automatic transmissions, including Base, High Country, Denali and AT4:

Certain trims, including Base, High Country, Denali and AT4,

Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban
GMC Yukon and Yukon XL
Cadillac Escalade and Escalade ESV
Chevrolet Silverado 1500
GMC Sierra 1500
In March, the shortage led GM to remove a cylinder deactivation feature from the 5.3-liter V8 that is also aimed at improving fuel economy by cutting fuel to some cylinders under light loads and said it wouldn't return until the 2022 model year trucks enter production later this year.
Lots of cool bikes---
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Chip shortages causing GM to drop fuel savings function

Post by Rut Row »

I wish all the manufacturers would make this an option. I hate that feature. This is good news IMHO.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Rut Row wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:43 am I wish all the manufacturers would make this an option. I hate that feature. This is good news IMHO.
I agree! I love that my diesels don't do that! Whenever I drive my dad's Cruze I always wonder if it'll start up again. Stupid feature.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

what gets me is, it is only a 50 buck price reduction! But starters will live alot longer for sure.
Lots of cool bikes---
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Wingfixer wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:15 pm
Rut Row wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:43 am I wish all the manufacturers would make this an option. I hate that feature. This is good news IMHO.
I agree! I love that my diesels don't do that! Whenever I drive my dad's Cruze I always wonder if it'll start up again. Stupid feature.
EXCEPT ... :frustrated: ... the new small diesels do that now too. RAM started with it in 2019. :censored: :censored:

Thankfully auto-stop eliminators are available :deal:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Firebolter wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:19 pm starters will live alot longer for sure.
More modern cars w/ starter/generators don't have a traditional starter to 'wear out'. There are no moving parts in them (other than the flywheel you already have.)

I'm waiting for bikes to figure this out and eliminate the starter. Obvious weight reduction when they are already scratching for grams.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Any time you do something multiple times more than usual, you increase the wear and tear on that system. Point is still germane
Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Firebolter wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:46 pm Any time you do something multiple times more than usual, you increase the wear and tear on that system. Point is still germane
No. (Or you need to redefine what is 'usual') Things like steel,if loaded below their limit, have infinite cycle life. Copper coils and magnets have no practical limit. The controller silicon if kept to decent delta-T junction temps will last DAMN near forever It is simple fact that there are starter-akternators today that will exhibit basically zero wear over the life of the vehicle starting motors a boatload of times a day. That is the'normal' they are designed for.

No idea if the GM vehicles affected use starter-akternators. But one would think even if they used conventional starters they are still sized to handle this. I haven't replaced an auto alternator in 20yrs. I wouldn't worry about it. (And even if you do, the fuel savings would likely pay for multiple alternator replacements and you'd still be ahead.)
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Jtrobb
DAMN Expert

Post by Jtrobb »

Steel will break with repeated stresses below their limit, often forms small cracks that spread and is known as metal fatigue.

In 1829 Wilhelm August Julius Albert, a German mining administrator, observed, studied, and reported on the failure of mine hoist cables resulting from repeated small loadings, this is first known recorded account of metal fatigue. He also developed a test machine for conveyor chains used in the mines.

This why we tend to use cables now, the small fractures are limited to the individual wires and will become frayed before yielding.

Jason.
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Jtrobb wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:46 pm Steel will break with repeated stresses below their limit, often forms small cracks that spread and is known as metal fatigue.
Below tensile or ultimate, yes, but not below the fatigue limit (sorry I did not specify which limit in the prior post.) Most steel and irons have basically infinite cycle life below that limit. It is interesting to note that Aluminum shows no such behavior. Everything made of aluminum will eventually break.