I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Help Keep NJ Trails Open

This forum is for all OHV/ORV/Land Use messages and discussions
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Help Keep NJ Trails Open

Post by BigBird »

Tri County Hammer Run Dual Sport Riders:

First I want to say hope your summer has gone nicely and you are enjoying some great rides!

The 11/2, 11/3/13 Hammer Run is shaping up nicely with more trail than you can handle.

Everything is going pretty smooth and the flyer is up.

We will have the normal event with great single track trail and some nice dirt road cruising, but we have issues below that we need to nip in the bud and would like your support.

http://www.teamhammer.org/Dual%20Sport.htm

I need help from anyone and everyone to make a call to the state of NJ DEP. This is critical, no matter what state you are from.

See in the box at the bottom, the message from a local environmental group that opposes sensible recreational access.

We need as many phone calls to DEP Commissioner Bob Martin to Oppose this statement below from Pinelands Alliance.

They want everyone to support a new NJ DEP plan that bans enduros, or any motorcycle event, from using any single track trail in the state of New Jersey under DEP control. (regardless of endangered species or wetlands review clearances)

What we have also learned is that they are not phasing this new plan in like they said, with just one state forest first, they are barring the Tri County Sportsmen Hammer Run Dual Sport from using single track trail right now within Belleplain State Forest. It does not amount to a lot of mileage, but it is something free of enviro issues and is nice single track on all high ground that we have not used in a couple years. We are also getting indications from NJ Fish and Wildlife (separate from State Forest State Park Service) that they want to restrict access sometime in the future to the fire cuts we enjoy riding in the Wildlife Management Areas. Tri County is in good shape but we are feeling the heat. Central jersey enduros are hurting bad from this issue so we need to fight this fight for them too. We are finding ourselves fighting to keep access to our most scenic beautiful views out on the marsh dike roads in Tuckahoe Wildlife Management. Somehow a motorcycle on the dikes wear them out or something, worse than the hundreds of cars and trucks that go out there for scenic views and fishing, crabbing etc, and power sliding.

The East Coast NJ enduro groups have gone through all the underlings under Bob Martin, we had meetings and discussions and presented our views and videos and slide shows, booklets, brochures, and handouts over the last 9 months with no sensible responses.

In my last correspondence with Richard Boornazian Assistant Director of the DEP I asked point blank I want to know what the problem is with single track trail usage, I want to see the report or your explanation in writing, as to why trail suddenly cannot be used. His response was “We just don’t like trails, go get your information through OPRA requests you know what that is right?”

His response to the derogatory language being used in the new proposed State Park Service code referring to motorcycles as crotch rockets, and language that would require a random traveler on an off road capable dual sport bike to get a special use permit to ride on the states dirt roads, he said, “Well we don’t have to take Every comment from the public into consideration”

(this was a separate issue with the new proposed State Park Service Code, which would ban dual sport riding on state forest dirt roads) Add to this heap another issue with a new surcharge for NJ motorcycle owners for some NJ statute that I haven’t had time to research yet, but friends have said they are getting letters from insurance companies now about 15% increases.

Call Bob Martin now and ask why motorcyclists from across the country and NJ enduro clubs have to beg to ride trail and enjoy our scenic views. As a citizen of the United States, these lands and trails belong to you. These properties are paid for with Green Acre funds, Federal Recreational Trail funds, and state tax paying club members and friends and family, on top of the thousands of dollars paid and guidelines already followed to put on a safe and environmentally responsible events. Call no matter what state you live in.

(609) 292-2885

Do it now because they are counting the responses to this issue.

Subject: Street legal, registered and insured Trail Bikes not allowed on Trail in NJ.

Also: state park service code definitions ban dual sports from state forest dirt roads

Thanks very much,

Michael Bradway

Tri County Sportsmen

http://www.teamhammer.org/Dual%20Sport.htm
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
frogman1981
DAMN Expert

Re: Help Keep NJ Trails Open

Post by frogman1981 »

I know how this will end. You can't fight the enviro nazis. I'm happy to be an outlaw. I will call though. Thanks for the heads up.
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

Bob isn't taking any calls and has "delegated" it to Natural & Historic Resources... and was transferred tehre. THe lady there said they've gotten 75 calls today and arent taking any more messages but to send all input to DEP N&HR by email...

Here is the address michele.buckley@dep.state.nj.us (I confirmed twice that it's "Michele" iwth 1 "L")

I'd suggest asking for a response. :cheers:

Billygoat
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

This is the body of my email:

"I support the position of the Tri County Sportsmen Hammer Run Dual Sport that they are good stewards of the state trails and support them using single track trail right now within Belleplain State Forest and the roads in Tuckahoe. The Tri County Sportsman not only enable riders from all over the east coast to enjoy the vast beautiful natural resources of the state of New Jersey but the are truly Ambassadors of the state. I would not know much about riding in NJ without their dutiful volunteer work.

With respect to the assertions of the Pinelands Alliance, ALL members of the state should be allowed to enjoy state resources equally and none to the exclusion of others. Preservation is not the only goal of the state.

Respectfully,"
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T