I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Hancock Quarry Run 8/1 -8/2

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Hancock Quarry Run 8/1 -8/2

Post by BigBird »

On the 4 or 5 times I've run it my recollection was that the hill climb was never an "option".
However, on years when it was wet and it got REALLY hard and clogged with down riders - one of the workers was at the bottom telling folks they should probably bypass it and giving verbal direction on how to go around it. Last year they had a 2nd one that was supposedly harder than this one but they pretty much told folks it was likely to be a disaster and to bypass it. I gave up on the fist one about 80% of the way up and bypassed the 2nd one.

It's doable when not wet (and looks to by dry this year).
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Marylander wrote:
Cool, I'm thinking I will go ahead and go through the effort of tagging the kdx. First I've got to swap out the stock piston as that's apparently a grenade just waiting to go off... If this bike could do double duty for dual sport runs and for use when I ride along with my daughter on her ttr125 I'll be real happy.
A properly set up KDX200 will go anywhere. The are about one of the simplest, most durable dirtbikes ever made. Jeff Fredette made a career out of that bike. When you replace the piston, give that cylinder a good look. Nothing worse than putting a new piston and rings in a bike with a cylinder that could use a refresh as well. LA Sleeve is the best and fastest if you do need to have a new sleeve put in. Used them many times.
Lots of cool bikes---
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

I've been hoping I'd be able to make it again this year which would be my 5th (or maybe 6th) in a row.
BUT I spent a few days last week in the hospital with some weird kind of pneumonia - the only symptom of with was extreme weakness (as if I was not already weak enough - LOL) BUT my Dr. told me yesterday I'd probably shouldn't be doing anything REALLY hard quite yet :nono:

DAMN!!!

I'll be jealous of you folks and the weather looks perfect - Dry for the big climb Sat AM then some showers to minimize dust!
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Sam,

Sorry to hear you are laid up in some hospital; that sucks!! Don't believe anything the Doctors tell you; they are always WRONG! Have a beer and let Gail give you a kick in the ass; hope you feel better soon.

SJ
trialsrider
DAMN Expert

Post by trialsrider »

This was great ride. I only did Saturday, but it was ton of single track, lots of hill climbs and down hills. A little up hill double log crossing at the end to wake up the tired body. Weather was great. Rode with Skinny-J, Winfixer, and Phoo. Thanks to these guys for staying up Friday night drinking beer to guide me to the camp site and greet me at 12:15am or maybe they were just drinking beer :cheers: jxs2151 hung out with us and joined us for some riding.
2019 Husqvarna TE250i
2014 KTM 350 XCF-W Six Days
2012 GASGAS 280 TXT Racing
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

The DAMN gang:

Awesome, awesome ride! It's already on the calender for next year!

BigBird, I hope you're feeling better and I'm looking forward to following you up the hill next year!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Holly Molly was that a kick-ass ride! Most Dual-Sports have a lot of dirt roads and two tracks with bits of single track here and there; NOT these guys! Saturday's route was over 100 miles and I bet 85% of it was awesome un-interrupted single-track. And the hill climbs; pffff, bigger than the ones I found in Colorado. Sunday was another ball-buster 88 mile ride and the hills got harder and more plentiful. Sunday's plan was to bail-out at some point in time to pack-up and make the 4 hour drive home but some how Team DAMN ended up doing the entire course. This was the same for Saturday as not one-single by-pass was taken the entire weekend! It was truly a great ride with some great riding buddies...

Can't wait for next year; if I can only make one ride it will be this one (with twenty dollars in my pocket...)!

SJ
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I told ya! Enduro without checks! Glad you guys had a good time.
Lots of cool bikes---
jxs2151
DAMN Expert

Post by jxs2151 »

Ordering a set of longer legs for next year.
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Firebolter wrote:A properly set up KDX200 will go anywhere. The are about one of the simplest, most durable dirtbikes ever made. Jeff Fredette made a career out of that bike. When you replace the piston, give that cylinder a good look. Nothing worse than putting a new piston and rings in a bike with a cylinder that could use a refresh as well. LA Sleeve is the best and fastest if you do need to have a new sleeve put in. Used them many times.
I'll definitely check out the cylinder but I'm not expecting to see any issues there. The bike is low hours (no hour meter on it but I'm certain it's well below 100 gentle hours). The factory piston on the 220s was apparently cast poorly and has grenaded many times destroying top and bottom ends. I want to swap it out for peace of mind. I hope I can get everything together with the bike to be able to get out to these dual sport rides next year. Sounds like this ride was awesome.

Of course, now the fork seals on my kx250 seem to be leaking. It's always something... ;)