I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Supermoto practice July 11th at BeaveRun

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Supermoto practice July 11th at BeaveRun

Post by mdubya »

I think it runs 10AM-6PM, $40.

Bob and I are committed to going to this. We did the one on Memorial Day Sunday and it was a blast.

See my old thread for reference:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1362
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Supermoto practice July 11th at BeaveRun

Post by mdubya »

restukey, TyMarp, and I went up to the Beave yesterday. TyMarp and Bobby Bones had a ball. I had mixed results.

My first hot lap out, the Vertemati would not take throttle, it ran at idle, but just bogged on the throttle and wouldn't clear its throat. A few hours of inspection and dismantling and cleaning the carb and the bike kicked over and ran and pulled on the throttle once again. I spent the next several hours running hard, playing with tire pressures, dealing with the heat (it was hot!), and generally quite content. TyMarp, who was only observing, not riding, complimented Bob and me on our respectable pace, which is always nice to hear. Without lap timers, it is sometimes difficult to tell where you stack up.

Late in the day, at TyMarp's urging, Bobby Bones stalked me on his fast KTM. I hit the last turn as perfectly as I was going to be able to for the day and made a determined effort to get a killer drive onto the front straight. As I was chuckling to myself at the gap I must have surely put on Bobby OneClick and beginning to pull on the brake lever for turn one, an orange bike with a rider in all black pulled alongside and went under me in to T1. Bastard. I tried to square him up unsuccessfully, and then put my head down in full pursuit. But, alas, he pulled away as I tied myself in knots trying to run him down. After blowing an apex or two and missing a shift, I conceded.

I pulled onto hot pit lane for a quick breather and to wait for him to come around again. We did another hot lap and then bob pulled onto pit road and offered to exchange bikes. I eagerly accepted but noticed smoke billowing out of my exhaust. I knew the motor was (at least temporarily) toast.

We loaded up. TyMarp and I had a killer Italian meal and we all headed back to reality.

:roost: :roost: :roost:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

:thumbup: :bow:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
TyMarp
DAMN Expert

Post by TyMarp »

For those of you who haven't enjoyed a SM race or as in this instance "practice", you are missing quite an experience. This particular cart track is super tight and twisty. Much more than anything we've ever ridden on the road. I'm guessing top speed wasn't much over 65 mph on the straight, but it is simply amazing to see riders carry almost all that speed into a hard left hander and then dive right back to the right. One Honda 150R rider never even downshifted for this set of curves. He also eat up backmarkers like they were candy. He was the fastest rider on the track excluding the multi time ex Endurance road race champion, a lad every bit of 5'3" who needed help mounting the Husky he was piloting. We observed them downloading information, changing gearing, etc., in between stints on the track. I think they were more serious than most others there this day.
Also, the most beautiful sound I've ever heard was the Aprilia SXV with GPR daul exhaust. The orange anodized wheels sparkeling in the sunlight as he wheeling all the way down the front straight was impressive also. But to that note, mdubya had no trouble pushing him around the track and diciing it up on the Vert.
Bob looked especially fast on his KTM. I must be honest and say I'd loved to had seen him do an unofficial race with the organized riders present that day. I'd say on that day with the equpiment he was riding, top five for sure. When he had his head down, he and the KTM were simply flying.
On the negative side of things, a very fast rider on a DRZ 400, ended his day with a broken ankle. He dadded his right foot entering a set of esses. It looked perfectly fine until he stood it up to change directions. He glanced down at his foot and then just rode right off the track using the front brake to fall/slide to a stop. He toppled off the bike and rolled to a stop, lying to his back. I saw his left foot sticking stragiht up and his right was pointing right horizontal with the ground. Bad day for him. That brought back memories from 8 months ago and thus why I was observing instead of enjoying the day riding with my buds.
For any one who enjoys a set of twisties I would recommend a day at a cart track. It was a blast to watch. I still can't comprehend how fast these guys were going. I can't wait to get my metal removed, heal up, and head out for a day at the track. :roost:
Thanks dub for the invite.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I want to go and try my KTM and, of course, the Wasp (if it ever lives again)
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

+1, I would love to get my hooligan bike on a track like that.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

We are tentative for next Wednesday the 21st. I will be on my DRZ since the Vert is not well. The place will likely be deserted and it will cost $20-$25 to run from noon to 8PM. Tough to beat that.

There is a race practice with ESMRA on Saturday the 24th and a race on Sunday the 25th. I won't be attending. Too serious, too many rules, extra $$$, etc. I am sure it will be fun though. Just not for me at this stage.

***EDIT*** BeaveRun has next Tuesday the 20th listed as SM practice. I will confirm with BeaveRun and with restukey and dpasseto.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
restukey
DAMN Expert

Post by restukey »

I can't even begin to tell how much fun Beaverun has been. It is such a laid back atmosphere, and there is nothing better than to be riding with the usual suspects there. We have plans for this Tuesday in place, and it would be great to see a few new faces there. Think about it.
TyMarp
DAMN Expert

Post by TyMarp »

"fresh faces"? I think you mean "fresh meat"! :harhar: