I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Kitzmiller/Wolf Den/North Hill

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
TyMarp
DAMN Expert

Kitzmiller/Wolf Den/North Hill

Post by TyMarp »

My son and I went to Kitzmiller yesterday. I'll be hard pressed to choose it as my primary ride again. We ended up bush-wacking to try to get through some of our favorite old trails. It appears no one has done any trail mainttenance in years. The debris on the ground is expected. But the overgrown under brush and overhanging canopy is head and chest high/low. We couldn't see at all. Plus we both have battle scars on our necks from where we pushed our way through the overgrowth.
All the great old trails are still there. Many haven't been ridden in quite a while. It would take an army and many many hours of labor to return this area to its former glory. At least I have the memories.
Hopefully as riding traffic picks up, these trails will get opened back up enough to enjoy again.
With all this said , all of the main trails are still open. But have had zero maintenance as well. It is still a viable option for riding, but it will be my third or fourth option now.
It still is only $10 per day per rider. Sherry Brady lost her husband recently and is still battling over land rights to keep this open for private/public riding. She is selective about who rides there. Expect her to as ask a few questions. She is a wonderful lady.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Kitzmiller/Wolf Den/North Hill

Post by Rut Row »

The State still wants to buy it but they are having a tough time finding all the legal landowners to get a clear title. I don't see much happening there for a long time.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Just a thought but perhaps a DAMN army could do a work & ride day or two. We could work for a couple hours early while it's cool then ride. Might put us in really good graces with the nice lady & could be like our riding place. Of course we would need an organizer/leader that knows the trails......Tim & son?

I don't know this place or it's potential & we would need good cooperation from the DAMN crew....
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

For most of us, it is DAMN far away! nearly a 3-hour drive for me.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

I already owe a bunch of work days to various people. I hope to finally cash some of those in before i commit to more. That said, if ever i have a day to clear trails, i will happily do so.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
hollywood
DAMN n00b

Post by hollywood »

Im pretty new to riding there but when i was exploring the trails i ran into the same thing. Low branches some downed small trees, mudholes everywhere. There was a train of quads amd side by side going up the main trail when i was there but seemed mostly everyone went up to the MX track. Id be willing to help clear some stuff
2017 YZ250FX
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

I know some decent loops around there but most venture off the property then return in another area. It has great potenial all over, its a 3 hour drive for me and a harsh one at that.

Wolf's Den is a hard area to layout and cut trails in, rocky rugged and hilly but lots of cool spots and views, nice swiming holes and very few rules. I helped a little back in 01 or 02, 03 on the enduro, I think 03 or 04 was the last enduro there and you can be sure nothing has been maintained since then. The room for killer signle track is there but it will take some heavy effort to make it happen. I may be able to help with talking to her and explaining that its like the enduro thing but don't say "race" or "event", keep it to my friends want to ride and I know 25 good friends that will enjoy it once cut in. Actually, i dont think Sherry has much reason to let peeps in for free even if it is to cut trail.