I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

First MAVT Trials event of the year is soon! - March 23rd

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: First MAVT Trials event of the year is soon! - March 23r

Post by Rut Row »

Ovo wrote:Ken - I put 2 inch risers on my sherco and by the end of yesterday - my back and neck felt so much better. before I was hunched over and had to strain my neck to see in front of me. With just the 2 inch risers, my back did not feel strained and I could actually see where I wanted to go. I wouldn't mind another inch either on my risers, so I would say at least go 3
this is good to hear. I had 2" extra on it yesterday but really want the extra height.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

Boom Boom wrote:You tall guys might want to try some ape hangers if looking for standing comfort. :lol2:
Do what you need to do to be more comfortable and want to ride. As you develop proper riding position you will find your elevated bars will cause you issue with turning. But till then just do what feels best for you to keep wanting to spend time on the bikes.
Glad to see you noobs out getting peg time in :thumbup:
This.

I often hear things like this: "Geoff Aaron was a 10 time national trials champion and is 6' 4" tall. He didn't use bar risers and neither should you." I agree to a certain degree, but if no risers means the bike sits in the shed and risers has you on the bike, then risers are great! :thumbup: You may find that as you progress, you'll want to get rid of the risers. You may not. it's all good to me as long as you're having fun.

I don't know which riders you saw standing straight - at 6' 1", I am either bending my knees or my back at all times. Knees in the sections, then I give them a break on the transfer trails.

It was great to see everyone yesterday. We had quite the DAMN crowd though we never all got together at once. We even had one newer member who took home a new-to-him bike. I finally got to meet BigBird and took a spin on that buttery smooth Beta 200. Very nice ride!
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Post by Ovo »

Boom Boom wrote:You tall guys might want to try some ape hangers if looking for standing comfort. :lol2:
Do what you need to do to be more comfortable and want to ride. As you develop proper riding position you will find your elevated bars will cause you issue with turning. But till then just do what feels best for you to keep wanting to spend time on the bikes.
Why will a 2 inch rise cause an issue with turning? I am confused about this.

Proper Riding position: I truly wish I was 5'9" so I can see what you are talking about. I have always wanted to improve my riding by standing and have yet been able to find a way to do that on my berg. I know my conditioning and my knees have a lot to do with that. On the Sherco with my risers, I at least found some comfort or I should say I eliminated some discomfort. With Ken and myself both being 6'5" and up and over 50 in age, proper riding position is a goal, but being able to ride with out my back screaming at me after an hour is also a goal. Like moto said maybe we remove the risers later down the line when skill permits, but I still don't think an off the line Sherco or any trials bike is made for a guy our size. I would be curious to the geometry of the bike if it was design especially for a tall guy. Would it be much different or exactly the same. I tend to think it would be quite different. Just like frames in mountain biking, I could not ride a medium frame, the geometry just doesn't match so I have to order a large or extra large frame.

Just my random thoughts.
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

My Son (7yo) and I took the "5" line. Dunno why we seemed to be the XRs there. Wonder if the XR100 could be turned into a trials bike! Laugh. Thanks Roger for allowing us to be there. Craig - I hope your daughter gets some use out of those training wheels.
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Ovo wrote:
Why will a 2 inch rise cause an issue with turning? I am confused about this.

Proper Riding position: I truly wish I was 5'9" so I can see what you are talking about. I have always wanted to improve my riding by standing and have yet been able to find a way to do that on my berg. I know my conditioning and my knees have a lot to do with that. On the Sherco with my risers, I at least found some comfort or I should say I eliminated some discomfort. With Ken and myself both being 6'5" and up and over 50 in age, proper riding position is a goal, but being able to ride with out my back screaming at me after an hour is also a goal. Like moto said maybe we remove the risers later down the line when skill permits, but I still don't think an off the line Sherco or any trials bike is made for a guy our size. I would be curious to the geometry of the bike if it was design especially for a tall guy. Would it be much different or exactly the same. I tend to think it would be quite different. Just like frames in mountain biking, I could not ride a medium frame, the geometry just doesn't match so I have to order a large or extra large frame.

Just my random thoughts.
As Craig mentioned above, guys like Aaron and Lampkin are all very tall guys..you won't see and risers.
What you might see is a taller bar.
If your bike has 7/8" bars have a look at the renthal trials bars, they have a 6" rise bar available at very reasonable cost. I used them on my ole Husky smoker and they worked well for me.
For old school bikes like Ken's Tessy a 2" riser with it full forward would offer a standing position more like a modern bike. Joe (longboardr) installed a 2" roxx riser on his reflex with them almost full forward and it took his bike from me struggling to balance and loft the front wheel to me being able to stand it up over a log with ease.
It is more about stretching your body out (more distance from peg to bar) vs making the bars taller.
If you attend one of Ryan Youngs school first thing he will do is move your bars further forward than you would ever consider and tell you to learn to ride it at that position. Craig / Joe, you guys can jump in here at any time and back me up.
The very last thing your want to do is stand straight up. In that position it is to easy for your body to lunge forward or back, you need to be in a bit of an attack position to control your bike proper.
The other thing is don't just putz around on your bike for a long period of time, that would kill my back. Ride to a section, stop and have a look, plan an attack, ride the section. Stand / walk around some more.
The more distance you can get from peg to bar is the same in stretching out your body as going taller on the bars. With time you will find a comfort position where you are not placing too much pressure on the bars.
A set of 6" rise renthals are about the same money as the 2" roxx risers.
Ron, you have a modern bike, I would go with the 6" rise bars. Ken has a vintage bike with pegs being more forward and higher than modern bikes, I would install the 2" roxx risers on his bike to gain distance from peg to bar as we done with Joes reflex. Adding 6" rise renthals would just be a bonus for Ken in the comfort department.
One of the biggest plusses for me in the comfort department is nice wide aftermarket pegs along with proper trials boots. Your feet and legs will be much happier.
As to the front end pushing when turning. Install risers and get yourself standing taller and do a tight turn section. Then do the same on someones bike without risers and bars forward in proper position. Tell me what works better (I didn't say more comfort, I said better).
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I will add I was infinitely happy that I had installed my old 450 pegs on the bike - HAPPY FEET!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Kyler wrote:I will add I was infinitely happy that I had installed my old 450 pegs on the bike - HAPPY FEET!
You done a nice job with that mod.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Longboardr
DAMN Expert

Post by Longboardr »

The only thing I can think of to add is foot position on the pegs. Since I was used to the ball of my foot being about on the center of my mountain bike pedals that's where I tried to put my feet when I stood on the pegs on a motorcycle. That puts your feet too far back on the peg if you're riding for more than about a minute, it's very tiring. After paying attention to other people riding I figured out the center of the arch of my foot should be in about the center of the pegs on a motorcycle when standing.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Boom Boom wrote:If you attend one of Ryan Youngs school first thing he will do is move your bars further forward than you would ever consider and tell you to learn to ride it at that position.
btw, I paid my $$$ and will be attending the fall RY school :dancing:
Ken
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Kyler wrote:
Boom Boom wrote:If you attend one of Ryan Youngs school first thing he will do is move your bars further forward than you would ever consider and tell you to learn to ride it at that position.
btw, I paid my $$$ and will be attending the fall RY school :dancing:
Be sure to video him doing a test run on your bike.
If your brakes are decent he will have it in a nose wheelie during his test ride.
You need to take that picture and photoshop you in his place.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr