I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

First MAVT Trials event of the year is soon! - March 23rd

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Re: First MAVT Trials event of the year is soon! - March 23r

Post by motojunky »

Ovo wrote:
Why will a 2 inch rise cause an issue with turning? I am confused about this.

Proper Riding position: I truly wish I was 5'9" so I can see what you are talking about. I have always wanted to improve my riding by standing and have yet been able to find a way to do that on my berg. I know my conditioning and my knees have a lot to do with that. On the Sherco with my risers, I at least found some comfort or I should say I eliminated some discomfort. With Ken and myself both being 6'5" and up and over 50 in age, proper riding position is a goal, but being able to ride with out my back screaming at me after an hour is also a goal. Like moto said maybe we remove the risers later down the line when skill permits, but I still don't think an off the line Sherco or any trials bike is made for a guy our size. I would be curious to the geometry of the bike if it was design especially for a tall guy. Would it be much different or exactly the same. I tend to think it would be quite different. Just like frames in mountain biking, I could not ride a medium frame, the geometry just doesn't match so I have to order a large or extra large frame.

Just my random thoughts.
Bar risers make for poor weight distribution - the front end gets too light. That impacts turning, uphills, downhills, log crossings, etc. It does make for easier wheelies! I don't know anything about mountain bikes, but I do know that the seat to pedal relationship has something to do with finding the right frame size. That's not an issue with the trials bike.

Ryan Young points out that tall guys have long legs, but also have long arms. I'm curious - measure the distance from your fingertips to the floor... I wonder how much our "handlebar to peg" distances vary. I'm 6'1", and my fingertips are about 29.5" from the floor when standing upright. If yours are similar, I don't want to hear any fuss! :lol2:

I'd bet that it's worse for Ken in that the pegs are probably higher on his vintage bike. They figured out sometime in the mid-late 80's that lower pegs were better.

I come back to this though: If bar risers or tall bars mean the difference between riding and not riding, it's a no-brainer to me. Go for it! You were very clearly more comfortable Sunday than the last time we rode. There is definite value in that. All I'd suggest/ask is that you be open minded to the possibility of trying the bike without them when you get more comfortable. If it's no good, put 'em back on. :thumbup:
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Re: First MAVT Trials event of the year is soon! - March 23r

Post by Ovo »

Just to follow up - thanks for all the explainations...Awesome stuff!!

Fingers tips to floor 31.5
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S