I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Any riders on the Eastern Shore

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
trevorb
DAMN n00b

Any riders on the Eastern Shore

Post by trevorb »

I live in Salisbury. I make maps for a living and have been combing digital street files for all the unpaved roads in MD setting up some routes to explore. I'm starting on the Eastern Shore then plan to eventually locate all of them in Maryland and I'll put together a crude web map for all you guys to see similar to motorcycleroads.com (obviously not as fancy since I'm doing this in my free time haha) if all goes well.

If anyone knows of any good trails/backroads or would like to help me explore some of the ones I'm locating let me know. I plan to be out and about every other weekend this spring.

I'll start another thread and ask this question too, but does anyone know of a comprehensive dual-sport friendly online database like motorcycle-roads.com? I haven't found a decent one yet so would like to put one together for us to use. The problem is I'm not a great programmer so web mapping is tough and takes time for me to sort out. However, if anyone is interested in a digital PDF type map I already have all the software necessary to create one of those highlighting roads across the State based on surface type, quality of DSness, etc. If anyone is interested in something of this sort let me know.
stretchride
DAMN Expert

Re: Any riders on the Eastern Shore

Post by stretchride »

Hey trevorb, I've also been working on a similar project, cool to see you post this! I hadn't really figured it all out (and maybe never will haha) so I'd been sitting on it, but I think there may be some stuff you might like to look at along with the other guys, so I posted it over in Dirt Roads and Creek Crossings.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3438

Can't help much with your area, but it would be nice to get a good map cause I get out there from time to time and will be there this summer.

Not trying to threadjack ya, just figured since you brought it up I'd go ahead and put it out there for everyone :cheers:
trevorb
DAMN n00b

Re: Any riders on the Eastern Shore

Post by trevorb »

stretchride wrote:Hey trevorb, I've also been working on a similar project, cool to see you post this! I hadn't really figured it all out (and maybe never will haha) so I'd been sitting on it, but I think there may be some stuff you might like to look at along with the other guys, so I posted it over in Dirt Roads and Creek Crossings.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3438

Can't help much with your area, but it would be nice to get a good map cause I get out there from time to time and will be there this summer.

Not trying to threadjack ya, just figured since you brought it up I'd go ahead and put it out there for everyone :cheers:
Not a problem at all. I like what you've done. I was able to export your KML to my desktop software I'll work on combining it with what I have in the next few weeks. I was not able to grab the data from the other two links to the google maps. Does anyone know the owners maybe they wouldn't mind sharing the KML with us? My street files have not been confirmed yet so maybe I'll use a different symbol to label them and as ppl or myself check them out they can be deleted if not worthwhile or described and symbolized appropriately.

From now on I'll reply to your thread so we don't have two separate threads to keep track of. I'll also work on sourcing a state-wide street file with surface descriptions. If I can find something I can create PDFs of any or all Counties in high-res for you guys just like the Frederick rural road map without too much trouble.

I'll be setting up my home server this week to house the project files via FTP. After I build the site as I work I'll post up the URL. Between my full-time, the ladyfriend, and riding my new bike this may take a few weeks haha.

Thanks,

Trevor