I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Ride Report - April 6, 2014 WATR Spring Trail Ride

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Ride Report - April 6, 2014 WATR Spring Trail Ride

Post by BillyGoat »

Yesterday I took my 7yo son (on his XR50) and me on my XR100 down to Eagle Bay area in Dahlgren, VA for the Spring Trail Ride. The moved the staging area from the hill to down by the river. It was a beautiful day ~60 deg at the afternoon. The boy had a great time as the kiddie track had a great "hillclimb" that he loved doing as well as 1/2 the track in the woods. Full support by the club. Ambulance, Food, Drinks, porta-Johnnies, etc. Prizes awarded for the "blind enduro". Talked with the owner of the Eagle Bay development (Ed). he had signs up...still trying to sell some remaining lots in a beautiful area. He even has in the development free areawide wifi. Microwaved in from teh local ISP to his water tank and available everywhere...which was good cuz cell sucked. Also saw a real live bald eagle sittin high on a tall tree near the river. Has yet to meet his maker on a windmill but that's another rant. :kumbaya:

Unfortunately, I saw a gruesome result of an accident. Dude was lying on the ground in agony, near the food tent and kiddie track. he musta been helped out of the woods. Wearing sneakers and had what looked like either the most severe ankle dislocation in history or a compound fracture of L ankle. Thank goodness his sock covered it up. I've had a compound fracture of my ankle and can tell you....that is so friggin painful that if they told me that they could amputate to stop the pain i woulda said yes. I feel bad for the dude. My rehab after surgery as a full year. cast, crutches, cain, the works. THey didn't believe in PT back in those days so i did it myself.

However, if we know that guy, we should chip in for a set of boots. Holy crap that brought back (bad) memories. 35 years ago came flooding right back, yessiree. FYI-I was wearing sneakers too in my accident.
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
stretchride
DAMN Expert

Re: Ride Report - April 6, 2014 WATR Spring Trail Ride

Post by stretchride »

Very cool to get a good ride in with your son. We were parked near the kids track and I sat and watched for awhile. Looked so much better than last year - some little dudes were getting air off that hill, I'm sure they loved it.
Agree on the :thumbup: for Eagle Bay and the WATR - nice event and I WILL be back for the fall ride.
Should have some video coming, but probably won't get a chance to get a hold of it till later in the week.
Glad I missed the ankle injury, sorry to hear this. Wait till my buddy hears this, as he showed up having forgot his boots and wearing only tennis shoes. I was picturing just that injury for him. I had worn some work boots that were just a size smaller than his and he wore those without any trouble luckily (though at one point kicking that KX500 he impaled the kicker right through into the sole - compression!).
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Sounds like good times were had for all. (Except the guy with broken ankle...)
Glad you had a good dirt ride with your kid. Thats always way cool.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
KDXKID
DAMN n00b

Post by KDXKID »

how are the trails there? I am interested in going down to ride, not sure if it is member only or if they do day passes
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

KDXKID wrote:how are the trails there? I am interested in going down to ride, not sure if it is member only or if they do day passes

It is a members only place, no one day pass.
Lots of cool bikes---
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

All you have to do is wait for the "fall" trail ride. Just check the WATR website.
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T