I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

RORR/Broad Mtn Enduro (May 25th)

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: RORR/Broad Mtn Enduro (May 25th)

Post by Bucho »

Yup, there are Sunday services for this death. Im out guys, sorry. I was really looking forward to doing this one too.

Skinny J, phoo, (and anyone else) there are two other enduros on my calendar. Green Marble in August and SPE in September. Id certainly do others if they could fit into my work schedule.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Sorry you couldn't make it, Bucho. It was a good time. This is a fairly hard enduro. I got 4th in open C (251+ cc two strokes) and Skinny-j got 2nd (!!) in 250 two strokes! Way to go, Jay!

My only complaint on the day was that I didn't realize that I should have eaten lunch at the 1/3 way point and that I should have strapped some water to a gas can for the final gas stop. I ran out of water for the last fifteen miles and was hungry for the last thirty. Not their fault obviously; the format being different than I'm used to made me not realize what I should do. I'll know next time.

Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Glad you guys had a good time. Im sure it was way more fun then the funeral I went to.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Wow, was that a ball buster, you would have loved it Bucho. It was great rocky single track that went on and on, it was definitely the hardest thing I have ever ridden. The day started with us burning an early check but then we settled into the course and things went better; well until I got a flat on the rear in the middle of the second major section and had to limp it all the way back to the pits. By the time I got back and caught up with Phoo and changed the tire, the 40 minute pause we were scheduled for was over and like Phoo said, neither of us ate anything or topped off our water or realized we would not have a chance for the rest of the day. That was a major mistake as by the last 20 miles I was bonking hard and it became a huge struggle to stay on a good line. At one point I would have probably cut the course if I would have known how to get back but then I started thinking about how I always lecture my kids about never giving up so I figured I better not either….

Or respective finishes don’t tell the whole story as Phoo was definitely faster than me all day. However, in an early section he stopped to help a down rider who got his bell rung pretty bad and took some major points for that. I on the other hand was completely oblivious and too focused on the alternate line around the carnage and didn’t see that he had stopped and just kept on going. Later on my flat cost me some late points but in the end it was just a function of the classes we happened to sign up for.

One neat experience for me was being able to ride a knobbie and a trials tire back to back. I knew it was going to be rocky but the knobbie was already on the bike and I thought it could be muddy in places as well so I left it on. Because of the rocks I did intentionally run a higher air pressure (12-13 PSI) than I normally do (10 PSI) but somehow I still managed to flat (haven’t torn it down yet to determine why but I am guessing a pinch flat). However, for whatever reason (rocks, air pressure, poor riding skills) the bike was not hooking up very well at all with the knobbie. But then, at the break I threw the already mounted trials tire on and the thing was a funkin tractor the rest of the day. If I could have only figured a way to make the front stick like the back was….

I am planning on the GMER as well so looking forward to riding that one with you guys. I cannot make the Michaux enduro but I have been thinking about trying the Moonshine on 9/21 as I heard it’s a good one; so keep that in mind as the time rolls around….

SJ
Stinson
DAMN Expert

Post by Stinson »

What tubes do you run? I have good luck with Bridgestone Ultra Heavy duty tubes. They are heavy though!
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

I've seen online (youtube) where some dudes use synthetic grease and lube the tube up real good so it slides inside the tire instead of getting pinched. Makes very good sense to me. FWIW. :deal:
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

If I ever get semi serious about running enduros I will be installing bibs front and back.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

BillyGoat wrote:I've seen online (youtube) where some dudes use synthetic grease and lube the tube up real good so it slides inside the tire instead of getting pinched. Makes very good sense to me. FWIW. :deal:
hmmm ... there is a precedent for ... er ... lubing it up real good before insertion ... :angel:

:peep:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris