I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Memorial Day Overnighter

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Memorial Day Overnighter

Post by Firebolter »

What a great weekend! Weather was perfect, so Jed, Jeff and I decided to go out for a over nighter and hit some back roads. We met up in Frederick at Jed's and went north into Pa, west of Gettysburg out by Michaux. Took back roads out towards Breezewood and then US30 up to my property in Somerset county, about 5 miles or so from where all of you had the camp and ride for the Reunion Ride/camp 2 weekends ago. Hadn't been up to the property in a while. Can't wait to finally build a nice cabin up there. But until then it is a camp and ride destination!

Gratuitous bike shot!

There is a nice cleared out area on my property with a drive road into it off the access road. Plenty of room for tents and cars and such. Nice big stone fire pit already and plenty of downed wood for fires. We need to do a camp and ride to here maybe this fall? I am only 2 miles from Reels Corner.

Then we headed down via Somerset city to Just outside of Morgantown to a sweet B&B for the night. Very close to Cheat Lake. This place is called Lake Manor B&B. If is an old Lawyer's building the owner converted into a B&B. She does weddings, has a conference room. Really sweet place and lots of parking and the food is great. About 5 miles from alot of places for dinner and such right off 68. We stayed in the "Safari" suite. An easy ~300 mile day. We started at 0930 and were at the B&B by 4. We stopped a few times for breaks and stuff.
The B&B was really clean and very nice. http://www.lakemanorwv.com/

Got up the next morning and after a excellent breakfast to order, we loaded up and headed out. Went west on 68 outside of Morgantown for a few miles then Took 250 down to Elkins. NIce back road. Pavement was a little rough here and there, but a great road that rolls along nicely with little traffic. At Elkins we took US 33 to Seneca Rock. Always love that section of US33. Stopped at the Rock for a break. Jeff had never been there so this was all new to him.

From Seneca Rock we took 28 North up to one of my favorite roads, 150 Smoke Hole road. This is a road that connects 28 over the mountains to 220. It was an old jeep road that the state finally paved about 10 years ago or so. At the end of the road if you run it from 28-220, there is a good place to stop and rest

One of the many creeks you see along this route. Tons of folks out on the rivers this weekend rafting and fishing. I want to do a trip and take a fishing pole and stop somewhere and fish and camp on the bike. Love to do those kinds of trips as well.

From there, 220 North up to Petersburg for lunch and then we took 55 all the way up into Va. and connected over to US340 up to Frederick and then home. As we came along 340 on the Potomac traffic slowed to a crawl until we crossed over back into WVa, there were folks all along the river enjoying the perfect weather yesterday.

Good ride, great weather and not too much traffic at all. easy 670 miles in the two days. Lots of bikes out this weekend and we saw lots of smokie's! :whoop:
Lots of cool bikes---
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Memorial Day Overnighter

Post by Boom Boom »

Nice stuff Bill.....thanks for sharing.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Very cool. Nice photos.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Surprised you did not camp THIS time; you guys getting old or something?

There is GREAT riding in that area, a camp and ride would be fun; make it happen. :thumbup:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Nice trip. Its been way too long since Ive hit all those roads.

I have great memories of trying (with big emphasis on "trying") to keep up with Mike Wheeler on Smoke Hole rd on one of our old motard rides.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200