I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

MADE IT - SAVE the DATE - AUGUST 23rd!!!!

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

MADE IT - SAVE the DATE - AUGUST 23rd!!!!

Post by BigBird »

As of this afternoon the OFG and the QOFE have been MARRIED 50 YEARS!!! :loveit: :loveit: :loveit:

An invitation with all the details should go out pretty soon but there will be a BIG Party in downtown Frederick on the afternoon/evening of 8/23 so MARK YOUR CALENDARS as this PARTY will be one you DON’T want to miss!

On a related note - I bumbled onto a thread on KTM Talk late last night which has 5 pages of responses and took a shot at MY response

The Title of the Thread was - ideal wife??? involved or allowing??
as my buddies get married seems there are 3 types of wives in regards to hobbies. ones that join in, ones that allow their husband to go play but don't care and the kind that make their husband's friends think he has died.

obviously the 3rd option aint gonna cut it.

there seems to be a healthy representation of the first two on this forum.
so i pose a simple question would you rather your wife go to races, hunt, fish, camp with you or let you go play and have her own thing going on?
-------------------------------------------------------
BigBird Response:

Interesting thread! - I'm still with my first wife and TODAY is our 50th wedding anniversary!

Some of you have seen me say I believe I am the LUCKIEST MAN ALIVE and SHE is the most important reason! Although not always possible - I would rather do anything/everything WITH HER (rather than alone).

She traveled with me to most of the SCCA Rally Championship events I went to all over the country to win the national championship in 72 and 73. We also both autocrossed our modified Bugeye Sprite on non-rally weekends in the 60s and 70s.

When I started dirt bike riding in 1973 at the age of 30, she got into it too and became good enough to run several enduros on the Yamaha MX100 I set up for her (with enduro transmission, pipe and flywheel) and LOVED passing guys riding the old heavy Hondas, etc. on muddy rocky climbs. The reason for the little 100cc bike is that she was (and still is today) only 5' 2" and 105 lbs.

She gave up riding at 34 when PG with our second daughter (and I quit when I was 41) but then it was HER idea for us to get a Harley when the kids were gone and we were 55. It was soon replaced with a 2001 GL1800A with every imaginable handling upgrade which she has ridden over 100K miles on with me in 10 countries. She LOVES it when I latch onto a sport bike rider in the twisties and he tries unsuccessfully (except for 2 very good liter bike riders in the Alps ) to drop us.

She won't let us ride with our touring bike friends as they are too slow for her. Rather she insists that we go on rides with the sport bike/crotch rocket club groups who are surprised the first time the old folks show up on a yellow Goldwing with a picture of BigBird on the cowl and with a wife and dog on the pillion seat - (until they find we can hang with them). She is a total adrenalin junkie that isn't happy if something isn't dragging in the hairpin turns and is bored if we aren't pushing the envelope!

We also have done many thousands of miles of tandem bicycling including a 14 day 1K mile loaded tour from MD to Canada and 4 trips from San Francisco or Monterrey down to Santa Barbara. She is also stokes our Ventana ECDM full suspension tandem mountain bike which we have ridden on trails up and down both coasts and which we sometimes tow behind the GL1800 when traveling so we can do a ride mid trip.

When I resumed dirt bike riding upon retirement at 67 I was having SO much fun that she had to give it another go. So I built her a trail bike out of a Beta trials bike (added seat, Scotts damper, etc.) and she did pretty well but decided she no longer had the tolerance for the inevitable falls, bruises and injuries that occur in the gnarly stuff we ride. So we got a Polaris RZR 800 WE sport side-by-side and she LOVES it. We just got back from a RZR ride that was gnarly enough that we had to use the winch twice to drag it off of rocks that were so big that we got stuck on top of them and all 4 wheels just spinning! Again she LOVES to push the envelope with speed and/or gnarlyness!

As I said initially, it is not possible for us to do some things together but she fully supports (and often attends) my solo outings to the tune of letting me have 3 KTMs (including a 2014 Freeride 250R) 3 Betas and 3 other dirt bikes including one of my 125 Pentons and the 1972 OSSA MAR trials bike that she used to share riding with me in our 30s.

At 70 she still pushes this OFG (Old Fat Guy) up the hills on our tandem on our weekly Wed evening ~15 mile group bicycle rides and occasional longer weekend rides. Earlier this month she pushed both this OFG AND our dog Bandit up the hills above Santa Barbara, up the climb from the California coast into Ojai and then around the "17 Mile Drive" loop and around the town of Carmel-by-the-Sea while on our family CA vacation. I love her so much I even take her to the gym for her twice a week training sessions (which makes this lazy OFG exercise a little while there).

As you can tell - I'M TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH THIS WONDERFUL GAL! who is BOTH Involved and Allowing although what I LOVE is the INVOLVED!
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: MADE IT - SAVE the DATE - AUGUST 23rd!!!!

Post by Bucho »

50 years! That is quite an accomplishment these days. A few weeks ago was ten years for my wife and I. We have so many friends our same age who are already divorced and some on second marriages.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Wow. Congratulations to you both!

We hit 28 years next month.
I think she allows me Or is it tolerate? :lol2:
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

wow! date in calendar
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Taylor
DAMN Expert

Post by Taylor »

Congratulations Sam an Gail!
2012 Husky WR 125
2009 Husky TE 310
2001 Harley FLHR
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

Congratulations
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Post by Ovo »

That is an amazing accomplishment. Happy 50th to you both!
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
stretchride
DAMN Expert

Post by stretchride »

Congratulations BB! Sounds like its been a hell of a ride :thumbup:
Bork
DAMN Poohba

Post by Bork »

Congrats! Keep on keeping on!
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

THANKS folks.

GAIL is SO AMAZING! We got up at 5AM for the Foggy Mtn Enduro on Sunday and the OFG is REALLY goofy that early in the AM :lol2: and it tool a lot longer than expected to get going around 6AM :shrug:

Gail got me going, reminded me to bring my second cup of coffee, got the dog, etc.

When we got to the event at about 8AM (which was KEY time) and I had to go in and sign up she sprung into ACTION!

This is the first enduro she's been at in 35 years - BUT she was a PRO-level pit bunny back in my Alabama Enduro and ISDT Quallifier days!

By the time I got back from sign up she had my gas can ID'd with a ribbon and on the gas truck (which was about to leave), had all my safety gear laid out on the trailer, had the scotch tape for me to tape my instructions into the roll chart and had a new bottle of Gator Aid open for me to get the last drink before rushing off to barely get to the start on my minute!

It was EXACTLY like she had last done 35 years ago (just like it was yesterday for her). :thumbup:

I AM THE LUCKIEST MAN ALIVE TO HAVE THIS GAL!
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike