I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Green Marble Enduro, 8/10

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Green Marble Enduro, 8/10

Post by Bucho »

jgreene wrote:Congrats. It was a tough one. Thanks for coming out to support GMER.

Thanks to you and all the guys (and gals) who made that enduro possible.

SkinnyJ and I kept talking about how great the trails were. There was so much elevation change. There was also lots of off camber sidehilling type stuff. Not my favorite thing, but with so much practic it was hardly bothering me.
The first section was pretty rocky. Nothing super hard but difficult when you are trying to run a competitive pace. There was a competitor on a very new looking BMW F800GS. He only made it about 200 feet in and realized this was way too much adventure for his bike. That was as far as he made it.
There was another guy on a brand spanking new DRZ400 with stock tires. He came to spectate and decided to give it a go. He had street gear and believe it or not TENNIS SHOES! SkinnyJ and I kept waiting for him to break his ankle or something. The guy did shockingly well. He had trouble in a few slick spots and some hills but motored along at a good clip for most of it. I never saw him after the 5th or 6th section but I was told he finished the race.

Anyways it was a great enduro. SkinnyJ also did really well on his WR fourstroke. He took 3rd in his class. Though he feels in the future he will have better luck in the Cfourstroke class.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Great job :thumbup:
They offer a dual sport class and I just don't understand why more people don't ride that class just for a fun day in the woods.
Just didn't work out for my schedule this year, wish it did.....great event.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Many thanks to GMER for putting on a GREAT enduro! I thought everything was very well organized and the trails were simply fantastic. I owe a special thanks to Jgreen for the tug at the top of one of the hills; that was a very cool way to meet another DAMN rider. Kudos to Bucho for winning his vet class. Our scores were only a minute apart but I was definitely fading towards the end of the day and there were too many other old kids in my Senior class. I also tip my hat to Bucho who at the end of the day went and rode the A option just for fun while I limped back to camp with a broken toe; but that’s another story. This ride is definitely on my annual “can’t be missed” list for next year!!
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

The story on DRZ dude: forgot his boots. He was all klim-ed up otherwise, including ITB pants. He came out of every section with a big old smile.

I just wish he would have borrowed some boots. At least three of the guys on my check crew had boots we would have gladly lent, and I heard from several riders who brought a spare pair. Don't be afraid to ask.
jgreene
DAMN Expert

Post by jgreene »

The DRZ dude was no slouch. He motored right up the hill that I pulled 100 other A, B, and C riders up. I was quite impressed.
Member R&T Club, and GMER
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

jgreene wrote:The DRZ dude was no slouch. He motored right up the hill that I pulled 100 other A, B, and C riders up. I was quite impressed.
Bucho and I had a chance to chat with him a bit at one of the stops. He told us he was an ex-motocross racer and had bought the DRZ to do the TAT. He rode up just to spectate but then he got talked into riding the enduro and that is why he only had the tennis shoes on. The bike was practically a brand new 2014 with only 800 miles on it and he still had the stock death-wings on it! I got behind him on one of the sections and was amazed to watch him and the pace he was running on that thing before finally passing him. On the last section before lunch he got a flat on the front and I thought sure that would be the last of it for him but I heard later in the day that he finished the entire course. I tip my hat to you sir!!
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

On Saturday the QOFE pushed the OFG and our dog Bandit up about 2,500 feet of hills and 25+ miles on our tandem bike at annual Catoctin Challenge Charity bicycle event that we've done for the last 4 years - (the ending is near Camp David - UGH!)
The QOFE was the oldest of the HAWT gals and Bandit was the Top Dog on the ride.
Since we SHARE the work on the tandem (She pedals and I steer :loveit: - I AM a LUCKY guy!) the OFG had enough energy left to shower and drive up to Three Springs late Saturday evening to ride or work the Enduro.

Dale Doty (who was a KEY course layout leader) needed help at his checkpoint #4 so I worked that with him in the AM and then got on my 200 KTM and rode the last C section and the AB section at the end of the route. That AB section was TIGHT and would have been MUCH nicer on the Freeride :shrug: BUT it was still fun!
(I think I got passed about 50 times - :lol2: but was careful to get OFF the trail as soon as I heard anyone approaching so as not to mess up the real competitors.)

I was VERY impressed with the overall organization of the event and the gracious hospitality of the GMER crew!
This was my first time to be there since it has conflicted with the Michaux DS in the past but I'd like to run it next year IF the OFG is sill above ground?

PS: CONGRATS to Bucho and Skinny J
Last edited by BigBird on Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

The drz dude also had no camelback or water bottles on his bike.

I drank about 3Ls of water through out the day and would have died without it.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Congratulations, guys! Sounds like I missed a good one! (No doubt, since last year's event was also great.)

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Bucho & Skinny-J, it was good to see you both. I'm glad you guys made it out and also that you did well. Thanks for talking this up and hopefully we can get more DAMN riders & friends out next year. :thumbup: