I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Tasker's Gap/Peter's Mill Run, VA

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Tasker's Gap/Peter's Mill Run, VA

Post by Bucho »

I went riding at Tasker's Gap this past weekend. About 5 years ago I rode there a few times. I never realized how many trail they had that I had never explored. I don't think I've even ridden half the trails...
I had a great time. I'm not sure why I haven't been riding there more often.
An old friend of mine recently moved to the VA/DC area and he bought his first dirtbike, a CRF250L. I took him for his first offroad experience. He had a good time, though he was completely exhausted by the end. He managed to still do some pretty tough rocky sections.
We did the "easy side" of Tasker's, then did a few parts of the other side which was a bit rockier.
I did trail 495 which turned out to be one of the rockier trails I've ever ridden. Though it was a little punishing, I totally want to go back and do it again.

Anyways, I just wanted to give my report to the collective. My card is filled for the near future. However in October I plan to go back for a midweek ride to explore all the trails I didn't get a chance to do.

On a sidenote, I rode his CRF250L. I was pretty impressed by it. He had a few mods to it, exhaust/midpipe, different fuel mapping, lower gearing... That little bike rips alot more than I thought it would. It is a little on the short side for a dirtbike but that makes it pretty good for noobs and/or short people. Other then seat height it is pretty comparable to the Yamaha WR250R. Not quite as good, but for a $2000 cheaper bike I thought it was pretty good.
(I have an unrational dislike for Honda in general, so this really is much higher praise than it sounds)
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Tasker's Gap/Peter's Mill Run, VA

Post by Rut Row »

Bucho wrote:(I have an unrational dislike for Honda in general, so this really is much higher praise than it sounds)
I see nothing wrong with a dislike of Hondas. It seems rational to me! :amazon:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

That's good to hear. I'm considering a replacement dual sport to my KLR250 and I was looking at the CRF250L. I'm also looking at modifying a DRZ400 too. I can't modify the KLR250 much more than it already is without spending serious money on it, and it's just not worth it to screw up a perfectly OK bike to make it something that it's not.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

Just my opinion but although DRZs are fine I think the WR250R is in several ways a better bike if your shopping. There was a recent thread on this with more details.
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I've been eyeballing the WR250R's as well. On the used market, they're about $4k, a CRF250L is about $3k, and a DRZ400 is about $2500. Is a WR250R 25% better than a CRF250L, though? My toes touch the ground on the WR250R but I can flatfoot a CRF250L. The DRZ400 has the side benefit of being stupid simple to work on, much like my KLR's.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Bucho wrote:Anyways, I just wanted to give my report to the collective. My card is filled for the near future. However in October I plan to go back for a midweek ride to explore all the trails I didn't get a chance to do.
If the stars align I should be good for October...
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

juddspaintballs wrote:I've been eyeballing the WR250R's as well. On the used market, they're about $4k, a CRF250L is about $3k, and a DRZ400 is about $2500. Is a WR250R 25% better than a CRF250L, though? My toes touch the ground on the WR250R but I can flatfoot a CRF250L. The DRZ400 has the side benefit of being stupid simple to work on, much like my KLR's.
I've never ridden a crf250l but they are EXTREEMLY heavy which would disqualify them for me.

Even the magazines that test the WR250R don't realize it but there is a height adjustment at the bottom of the shock that lowers them significantly (maybe 3/4"? but I can't remember off hand) There IS a reason the WR250R is more expensive. They are $6,700 new. The suspension on the WR is decent stock and FABUOLOUS if you get the right folks to do suspension tuning on it. It also has a VERY wide ratio 6 speed that will do 70 and yet crawl in the woods and an alternator that can handle anything (heated grips, jacket, seat, etc.) and they are as reliable as a stone!
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Bucho wrote:I went riding at Tasker's Gap this past weekend. ...I did trail 495 which turned out to be one of the rockier trails I've ever ridden.
Rockier than the bottom of the blue trail at the Cove? Holy hell batman....

:bow:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Skinny-J wrote:
Bucho wrote:
Rockier than the bottom of the blue trail at the Cove? Holy hell batman....

:bow:

Well, with a little bit of luck I can ride that blue section at the Cove clean and not put a foot down.

That section on 495, the rocks brought me to a complete stop several times. Twice I had to get off my bike and muscle it into a different line bc the crappy line I picked was unridable (by me at least..). Though like most things, I think I could do better with practice.
I promise to take a few pictures next time.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Marylander wrote:
If the stars align I should be good for October...

Okay. Ill put up a thread/post around the end of September and try to get a date or two lined up for some Oct riding.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200