I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

2014 Shenandoah 500 Oct 4th and 5th Mt Solon VA

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: 2014 Shenandoah 500 Oct 4th and 5th Mt Solon VA

Post by Rut Row »

Boom Boom wrote:Don't forget that Sherco needs some love also....plenty of trials stuff at the farm for you to keep your bones limbered up on.
start a new thread and give us a date! :loveit:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Kyler wrote:
Boom Boom wrote:Don't forget that Sherco needs some love also....plenty of trials stuff at the farm for you to keep your bones limbered up on.
start a new thread and give us a date! :loveit:

Will do....need to check the schedule
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
stretchride
DAMN Expert

Post by stretchride »

Bucho wrote:Considering the cold weather and I was basically riding one handed due to an injured left, I had a great weekend.

I invited a friend who is new to dirtbiking to come w/ me to the S500 this year. My buddy Steve, came along. Other than a few dirt roads in NC earlier this year, the S500 was his second time doing offroad.
Saturday morning Steve and I set off, along w/ DAMNrider Ovo (Ron). I had fixed up Steve w/ a rollchart but he was concentrating so hard on his riding that he pretty much had no extra ability to comprehend the roll chart at all. So Ron and I took turns leading for the day. Right off the bat we decided (or maybe I decided since I was leading), that we would do the morning A option. I actually thought it was nice to get onto something harder than an easy dirtroad because it was cold and I needed a warm up. New guy Steve, did very well. He was slow but steady and made it up two of the tougher hills where there were many riders have trouble. He also made it down several difficult steep rocky descents with out crashing. Though I was following him when he fell his only time during the weekend on a much easier downhill. However, he wasn't the only one. While we were getting him back up, another guy crashed his Honda there too. (My KTM didn't seem to have a problem.)
We took our time riding slow and made it to lunch just before 2pm. After a nice break we skipped the afternoon option and took a slight short cut to make it back to camp at a reasonable time.

Day two started way too cold at 0645 when we got up. I got dressed inside my sleeping bag putting on pretty much everything I had. At least by the time we started riding the sun had melted the frost off of our bikes. The temps didn't seem too bad at first w/ our extra layers, but my hands were getting pretty cold as the morning went on. The rode up to Reddish Knob was "just above freezing" according to some guy w/ a fancy adventure bike that could tell him the temperature. I believed him, b/c at that time I was off my bike and holding onto the exhaust pipe to try and warm my hands.
We pushed on and luckily the day got a little bit warmer as we went. By noon, Steve and I split off from the route and skipped going to the lunch stop. We cut across and detoured through the ATV park near Rt33. It was mostly luck, but the route we picked turned out to be the best part of our day. Fun forest roads that were just hard enough to be interesting, and the trail through the ATV park was fun. Steve was able to do much better on Day 2 and with increased confidence in his bike and skills, he was able to dial up the speed a little. We made it back to camp by 2 and we packed it in to head home.
Great weekend. I'll post a few more pics.
nice writeup Bucho, and good job grabbing some pics :thumbup:
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Glad you guys had fun. It is beautiful country down there and this is always a great true DUAL SPORT ride.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Skinny-J wrote:Glad you guys had fun. It is beautiful country down there and this is always a great true DUAL SPORT ride.
and also a great ADVENTURE! :brows:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris