I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

RORR Dual Sport 2014 - Sunday Oct 12

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Re: RORR Dual Sport 2014 - Sunday Oct 12

Post by Ovo »

Boom Boom wrote:
Ovo wrote:
Kyler wrote:
Skinny-J wrote:or are we called TAMN now?
:chace:

we have seemed to move away from our DS focus, haven't we? :think:
I know about 6 DAMN Riders that rode a DS last weekend...So only a few are now TAMN riders vs DAMN riders.
I will play along....same weekend there was this little vintage trials event that had 7 DAMN members representing.
(J&J / Jay and Jacob, Kyler, Boom Boom, Longboarder, BeckyB and Purple Haze) Not bad DAMN representing for an event with 30+/- riders vs a national ranked dual sport with over 200 I would assume.
Not bashing....just stating facts.
One of the appeals of trials is you can go spend the day with your kids doing the same, for a DS the kids need to have a license and by then most are off doing other things.

Back to the RORR dual sport....great event....go ride it :roost:
Exactly why we need a Trials Section here...to keep these TAMN guys out of the DAMN threads... :dirtdog: :poser:
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

I'll be there with you, Jay!

Are you driving up that morning or spending the night?

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

phoo wrote:I'll be there with you, Jay!

Are you driving up that morning or spending the night?

~Patrick
Awesome!! There is a slim chance my buddy Paul may come as well but he won't know until Saturday. I was planning on just driving up in the morning. Its a little over 1.5 hrs from my house so I was going to roll about 6 and shoot to get there around 7:30 (don't want to miss the free breakfast!) If you want to truck pool I am happy to drive or we can hook-up there, just let me know.

Looking forward to it!!
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Boom Boom wrote: I will play along....same weekend there was this little vintage trials event that had 7 DAMN members representing.
(J&J / Jay and Jacob, Kyler, Boom Boom, Longboarder, BeckyB and Purple Haze) Not bad DAMN representing for an event with 30+/- riders vs a national ranked dual sport with over 200 I would assume.
Not bashing....just stating facts.
One of the appeals of trials is you can go spend the day with your kids doing the same, for a DS the kids need to have a license and by then most are off doing other things.

Back to the RORR dual sport....great event....go ride it :roost:
I will kick the ball back.... let's admit it, Dual Sport riding is a niche segment of motorcycling. However, by this same measure, Trials riding would come in as gnat buzzing around the head of your average Harley rider. Face it, unless you are European and really dig tight spandex riding outfits, most people have no clue about your funny looking bike with no seat. Now, I mean no disrespect to people who are into trials, it definitely requires a lot of skill and balance. In fact, that is why I bought mine, to improve my skilzs to make me a better DIRT bike rider (don’t know if it’s working or not….).

To understand my TAMN reference, you need to remember that this forum started as a bunch of guys from ADV who were into dual sporting large displacement bikes at loosely organized gatherings and informal events (I bet there were 50 guys at the first couple of DAMN reunions). But then in a thirst for more “action” a segment of the group began riding organized dual-sport events and enduros and the bikes got smaller and smaller until at some point, there were no more of the original ADV guys around anymore. Now, in some aspects the same thing is happening again, or at least there is a competing interest from the trials faction. And that’s fine as people come and people go, and people’s interests change and in fact many members here are into all kinds of riding. But I don’t come to this Dual-Sport forum and post about my Concours or Tiger and the street riding I do, there are other forums for that. So, even though I understand, in some regards all this trials talk seems odd to me and I just don’t want to see DAMN become TAMN…

Mike, I know you are a huge trials advocate; I see you talking up trials on ADV and Thumper Talk and tip my hat to your generosity in trying to help people out. I know you said “not bashing…just stating facts” but please don’t be spreading your feathers about how many people rode your trials event in my thread (on a DS forum) about a DS ride that is not seeing much love. First off Kyler doesn’t even own a dirt bike anymore. Second, J & J are not tagged (so +1 to your point for trials). You and Joe are clearly afflicted with the love of Trials, the other two members I have never met or see post much. Any based on your own numbers, the DS ride drew 200 (the Hammer will draw over 400) while your trials event only managed 30; so if the DAMN bunch did not show up 20% of the event would have been missing…

No hard feelings, DAMN just needs an advocate because I am not buying a new jersey that says TAMN.

SJ
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Well said Jay...
Just poking a little to see who bites.
A agree 100% with you and am sad to see the DAMN turn out at organized events falling away.
Seems like you have a couple core guys still attending events but very few organizing any events and I challenge those that like to show up and enjoy events to stand up and get involved with what Ken is working with or myself with PaTRA or join any enduro club and offer a hand.
Perhaps it is the economy or just general change in life style but the DAMN family seems to be shrinking.
I didn't start the poll for having a trials section and by my comment I see no need for one but if the DAMN fine folks enjoying this forum seem to be gravitating in a different direction then why not amuse them as ADV and TT done for that little group of guys on silly bikes that were mucking up the lets go ride and camp posts. :shrug:
I would love nothing more than join you guys at RORR but have not managed to get my bike plated yet so I will be enjoying riding that does not involve a plate.
Shame such a small list of DAMN folks are signed on for this ride...it is a great ride and a great time to be in the woods.
No, I have no plans of buying a TAMN jersey either....would not go well with my funny trials pants.
OBTW, the lack in turn out is not just a DAMN issue....having the same issue with PaTRA keeping support growing.
Enjoy your ride boys....weather is looking to be great.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Skinny-J wrote:First off Kyler doesn’t even own a dirt bike anymore.
doesn't my Montesa count? :dry:

How about my Wasp sidecar (even though it doesn't currently have a motor)?
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Boom Boom wrote:Well said Jay...
Just poking a little to see who bites.
A agree 100% with you and am sad to see the DAMN turn out at organized events falling away.
Seems like you have a couple core guys still attending events but very few organizing any events and I challenge those that like to show up and enjoy events to stand up and get involved with what Ken is working with or myself with PaTRA or join any enduro club and offer a hand.
Perhaps it is the economy or just general change in life style but the DAMN family seems to be shrinking.
I didn't start the poll for having a trials section and by my comment I see no need for one but if the DAMN fine folks enjoying this forum seem to be gravitating in a different direction then why not amuse them as ADV and TT done for that little group of guys on silly bikes that were mucking up the lets go ride and camp posts. :shrug:
I would love nothing more than join you guys at RORR but have not managed to get my bike plated yet so I will be enjoying riding that does not involve a plate.
Shame such a small list of DAMN folks are signed on for this ride...it is a great ride and a great time to be in the woods.
No, I have no plans of buying a TAMN jersey either....would not go well with my funny trials pants.
OBTW, the lack in turn out is not just a DAMN issue....having the same issue with PaTRA keeping support growing.
Enjoy your ride boys....weather is looking to be great.
Mike,

I could not agree more and I don’t understand the falling numbers either; it is very sad. I have found that no matter what type, model or brand bike you are riding, the fun is directly proportional to who you are doing it with. Some of my favorite rides have been ones where the riding was great but the camaraderie was even better. Isn’t it fun for our lost brothers anymore? Did they find a cure for the motorcycle demon that possess me? I got a wife, kids, a job, bills; but you find the time and means if its something you truly love…

I think part of the problem is that we are not back-filling our sport. When I grew up every kid on the block had some type of motorized buggy and we rode them all over god’s green earth every day. However, for some time now, at least where we live, there is no place to ride at all and the kids are too busy playing video games, sports and texting each other. I look around at all these dual-sport events and it is a bunch of old fuks our age; and we are only getting older.

SJ
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Kyler wrote:
Skinny-J wrote:First off Kyler doesn’t even own a dirt bike anymore.
doesn't my Montesa count? :dry:

How about my Wasp sidecar (even though it doesn't currently have a motor)?

What's a Montesa?

Would that Wasp be a Honda by chance?
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Skinny-J wrote:What's a Montesa?

Skinny-J wrote:Would that Wasp be a Honda by chance?
It did once. It is going to get a motor from a Polaris Outlaw ATV. Those motors are KTM 525s with a build in REVERSE! :rayof:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Had a great time today. Sam was there, but rode with his r&t buddies because we aren't cool enough for him anymore. Paul made it out for the morning (longer) route. Jay and I tore up the options all day and had a great time. I really like this event, and the first two options after lunch (which was included with admission and was two burgers or pulled pork and delicious) were really fun and one of the reasons why I am doing this dirt thing.

I hope to see more people out next time, but for the event organizers themselves, the turnout was so high they ran out of route sheets and even preprinted event stickers. A nice change from the weak attendance of recent events that I've been to.

Thanks,

Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200