I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Monday 11/24 and Monday 12/1 dirt rides

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
thetable
DAMN Expert

Re: Monday 11/24 and Monday 12/1 dirt rides

Post by thetable »

Oh, I'm pretty sure blame lies primarily on the dude that is supposed to be doing my maintenance. Stuck throttle cable or stuck slide, not sure which, but it scared me a couple times. And then there was the silencer burnout, at least I hope that's what it was.

Probably time to start taking things apart and inspecting.
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

thetable wrote:Oh, I'm pretty sure blame lies primarily on the dude that is supposed to be doing my maintenance. Stuck throttle cable or stuck slide, not sure which, but it scared me a couple times. And then there was the silencer burnout, at least I hope that's what it was.

Probably time to start taking things apart and inspecting.
Check you cable routing but also if you have a little too much slack the end of the cable can get lodged on the outer lip of the domino throttle housing (under the little rubber shield). All those domino assemblies like to be run with very little slack.
The non rebuildable exhaust on those bikes was one of the primary reasons I would not purchase a Sherco till they came out with a serviceable exhaust as my 14 has. You need to give that engine a workout and heat the exhaust on a regular basis, if not it will spooge with oil and plug or catch fire.
Also, run a top grade synthetic and 80:1 is plenty oil for that bike...run more and you will just cause problems.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Skinny-J wrote:
thetable wrote: Appreciate the patience with the misbehaving Sherco.

Joseph
I have a 2006 290, same as you I recall; mine is the biggest POS so I feel your pain. I think Spain must have been on vacation that year..... :salute:

SJ
LOL......very possible on the year long vacation.
We always said to never purchase a Irish rock crusher produced on a Monday.....
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
trialsrider
DAMN Expert

Post by trialsrider »

Spanish trial bikes (I have had 2 Gas Gas) are like fine watches, precision pieces of equipment. Lots of maintenance required, but sometimes the watchmaker puts a gear in backwards or drills a hole a little off center :cheers: The older the bike the worse the quality control.
2019 Husqvarna TE250i
2014 KTM 350 XCF-W Six Days
2012 GASGAS 280 TXT Racing
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

I knew it was a good day of riding yesterday when it took me all four fingers to pull the clutch in on the C14 this morning. On the upside of a day on the trials bike, my ass didn't get pounded at all.

Boom Boom wrote:Check you cable routing but also if you have a little too much slack the end of the cable can get lodged on the outer lip of the domino throttle housing (under the little rubber shield). All those domino assemblies like to be run with very little slack.
The non rebuildable exhaust on those bikes was one of the primary reasons I would not purchase a Sherco till they came out with a serviceable exhaust as my 14 has. You need to give that engine a workout and heat the exhaust on a regular basis, if not it will spooge with oil and plug or catch fire.
Also, run a top grade synthetic and 80:1 is plenty oil for that bike...run more and you will just cause problems.
Cable routing is definitely suspect, but the slack is right. After playing with the routing and a couple tugs on the cable, it freed up. Planning on replacing the cable and pulling the carb apart to run it through an ultrasonic cleaner.

The more I read on it, the more convinced I am that I should be running closer to 100:1. It's not getting opened up enough in the yard to burn much of anything off. Then, maybe go to 80:1 for trail rides.

Looks like I'll have a snow day tomorrow to bang stuff with wrenches. (Or see how the M59/S12 does in the snow.)
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

thetable wrote:I knew it was a good day of riding yesterday when it took me all four fingers to pull the clutch in on the C14 this morning. On the upside of a day on the trials bike, my ass didn't get pounded at all.
Yeah, I was planning to do some shoveling in the yard today while the ground is still soft but I'm not so sure sure my hands are going to agree to that. ;) I was also planning to ride a bike to town so I'll have to see which one has the easier clutch pull. I need to get out more often to be in shape for dirt riding, especially my hands on the rocks. Maybe those bars with elastomer inserts would be worth it for me (or finding a way to ride more often).
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

I've talked to some people who really like the Flexx bars. I've also heard from a few that rode them once. I have a problem coming off that much money for a set of bars. Especially when it's based on 20+ year old MTB technology that was regarded by many as one of the worst MTB inventions. (See Girvin Flex Stem)
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Yeah, I've heard the same about the bars. I think Joe Haefner (gotsasol here) has a set on one of his bikes. Maybe I'll have to ask to ride it. Seems like I'd need a whole day of riding then see how I feel the next day though. I'm not big on spending too much (hence the 15 year old bike I ride) but my hands and forearms are a real issue for me. I got my current bars, Easton EXP 1 3/8" bars with with clamps, for $30 on clearance so I know all about being cheap (or, rather, not spending money I don't have). A set of bars over $300 would be a significant percentage of the cost of my whole bike. ;)

I hadn't put that old mtb stem and the flexx bars together. That makes sense. Wasn't the stem supposed to be a poor man's front suspension though, for an other wise rigid bike? I've still got my ~20 year old mtb that I never put suspension on (and don't ride any more either...).
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

Interestingly enough, if you look at RMATVMC and the Flexx bars have 21 reviews, all 5 stars. And they're on sale... Don't forget the handguards and mounts.
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Last edited by gots_a_sol on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0