I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

woods loop

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Re: woods loop

Post by Wingfixer »

Skinny-J wrote: I am kinda intrigued by what I saw some billies doing on YouTube; it actually makes sense IMHO. Rather than drilling a stud into the knob, they run a tapcon (hard cement screw) from the inside out. Then, they zip a ¼” nut on the outside. You have to line the inside to protect the tube from the screw heads but an old inner-tube works. One guy said he doesn’t even use the nuts as the liner and air pressure keep the screw in place but I would prefer the nut if it were me.

To me the advantage of this is you are not relying on the threads to hold the stud in the knob and it is secured both ways by the head and the nut. For $75 bucks worth of screws and a day in the garage I am would be inclined to try this, I already got plenty of old tires lying around. And plenty of extra blood in my system I didn’t have a lot of time to fully investigate how long this setup holds up; but I am sure the nay-sayers will be along to shortly…
:lol2:

But seriously, I think you could do this faster and cheaper getting a bunch of long #8 or #10 PK screws (self tapping sheet medal screw for you commoners) and running them through the knob from the inside. I'd be willing to bet $5 worth of screws, two Makita batteries, a 12 pack and one blood transfusion would get the job done. PK screws have the advantage of having a smooth head, lees chance to tear a tube and running them from the inside would prevent leaving spike strips on the trails. Heck, I've got a worn out tire, and a day to myself, maybe I'll get some screws and give it to Jay to try (No way am I loosing all my carefully hoarded blood mounting that thing on my bike. :harhar:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Wingfixer wrote:
Skinny-J wrote: I am kinda intrigued by what I saw some billies doing on YouTube; it actually makes sense IMHO. Rather than drilling a stud into the knob, they run a tapcon (hard cement screw) from the inside out. Then, they zip a ¼” nut on the outside. You have to line the inside to protect the tube from the screw heads but an old inner-tube works. One guy said he doesn’t even use the nuts as the liner and air pressure keep the screw in place but I would prefer the nut if it were me.

To me the advantage of this is you are not relying on the threads to hold the stud in the knob and it is secured both ways by the head and the nut. For $75 bucks worth of screws and a day in the garage I am would be inclined to try this, I already got plenty of old tires lying around. And plenty of extra blood in my system I didn’t have a lot of time to fully investigate how long this setup holds up; but I am sure the nay-sayers will be along to shortly…
:lol2:

But seriously, I think you could do this faster and cheaper getting a bunch of long #8 or #10 PK screws (self tapping sheet medal screw for you commoners) and running them through the knob from the inside. I'd be willing to bet $5 worth of screws, two Makita batteries, a 12 pack and one blood transfusion would get the job done. PK screws have the advantage of having a smooth head, lees chance to tear a tube and running them from the inside would prevent leaving spike strips on the trails. Heck, I've got a worn out tire, and a day to myself, maybe I'll get some screws and give it to Jay to try (No way am I loosing all my carefully hoarded blood mounting that thing on my bike. :harhar:
I think the advantage of the Tapcons is they are a lot harder than sheet metal screws and will last longer. BTW, I have decided that this IS going to be a new long range project on my list. I started yesterday by scoring a front rim on Ebay, complete with rotor, axle and spacers for $85 shipped. I just need to find an 18" rear rim and then go to town with the screws on an old set of tires. My goal is for ~ $350 to have a complete dedicated set of studded wheels I can just throw on at any time; we will see... :deal:

Mike, sorry for polluting your thread with all this...

SJ
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Long range, splong range. Progress report:

Materials:

Don't nobody tell Kathy I'm using the dining room table, m'kay? Its coooold in the garage.

Screws going in nicely:

More updates after the Makita battery charges.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

dude, your tire is SCREWED! :poser:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

don't screw up :killingme:
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

Wingfixer wrote:Long range, splong range. Progress report:
How's your silencer/chain/swingarm clearance? Those side screws definitely look wide enough that I'd be replacing a silencer.
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

I believe having the screws on the side knobs will also cause weird handling with ruts as they will want to hook up and climb out of them.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

gots_a_sol wrote:I believe having the screws on the side knobs will also cause weird handling with ruts as they will want to hook up and climb out of them.
thetable wrote:
Wingfixer wrote:Long range, splong range. Progress report:
How's your silencer/chain/swingarm clearance? Those side screws definitely look wide enough that I'd be replacing a silencer.

You think I'm putting this meat grinder on my bike? :poser: :killingme: :lol2: :harhar: :killingme: :lol2: :poser: :harhar:

You'll be getting your ride report from somebody a little more adventurous (and has more weekends off) than me!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Kyler wrote:dude, your tire is SCREWED! :poser:
Rear tire is totally screwed! Gotta make a Lowes run for shorter (more) screws for the front. Pictures when I'm done.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

:killingme: is this for Buttercup? :jack:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris