I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

12/6 Offroad Ride

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: 12/6 Offroad Ride

Post by Bucho »

My winter dirtbike gear doesnt change that much. I will usually wear a warm "long underwear" type shirt instead of a Tshirt under my gear and thats about it. Sometimes a loose fitting neckwarmer.
But generally I depend on the actual riding to warm me up and Im usually sweating soon enough.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

If it's just spitting, I'll wear the normal gear. If it's actually raining, though, I might go for the Motoport pants and either a trashbag poncho or frogg togg jacket.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Eh, Motoport pants are staying home. I forgot how easy it is to pack when I leave everything in the truck ready to go. All I had to do was put the hitch carrier on and strap the bike to it. I think I spent more time making sure the lights on the carrier work than strapping the bike down
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

OFG just got cleaned up and settled down. It was a tad slippery at the Cove but we did get in some riding.

Justpaintballs poked a stick through one of his water hoses but it was close to the end and we were able cut the end off and stretch it to work. But he decided to head out once we made it back to the parking area.

Chris (I think?) on the DRZ 400 had some trouble (as did the OFG) on the nasty rock climb on the blue loop and ended up toasting his clutch. We assumed it would recover enough for him to ride back to the cars BUT as we were retuning from the loop we found him pushing it so towed him the rest of the way in.

Jay, Bucho and Wingfixer took good care of the OFG - THANKS!
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

I had a good time today. It was certainly challenging for me. The rocks were actually easier than the clay and slippery leaves.

I wish I would have gotten a picture of that stick in my coolant hose because that's a once in a lifetime kind of break down. Thank you, Sam, for helping me shorten the hose and get it back running.

Thanks to the rest of the group for putting up with me again. I'm getting just a wee bit better. There's no substitute for seat time.

I'm pretty sure I have some video of me wrecking. I might sort through the GoPro tonight and see.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

It rained the entire time we were there, but it was still a pretty decent ride. It was pretty slick the whole day. The rocks generally were much better traction than the dirt.
New rider Jed did pretty well just finishing a loop with the day's conditions.
Im sorry it was raining too much for me to be taking pics.
The hill on the blue trail was very slick past the rocky ledge spot, tough to maintain momentum.

Always glad to ride with Patrick and J, and of course Sam.
Even with rain and cold was still a pretty good day.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

I was thinking about you guys as the rain fell all day at my place....true hard core :bow:

The majority of that place is not bad when wet other than over close to the sand ponds, that side of the mountain is clay and limestone. I have had some wild rides off some of those hills that I care not do again.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
ottoparts
DAMN n00b

Post by ottoparts »

Thank you all for letting me join you for the day and the tow!
Thanks to Jed for inviting me and telling about this forum.
It was a good first time out for the DRZ and me.
Once I have the new clutch in, I'll be ready for more!
Whoa, that was fun!
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

You guys are manly men, riding in the cold winter rain and then with KLR and DRZ sized bikes.
I feel like such a wimp with my cheater toys....or is that just me getting smarter in my old age. :shrug:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

Boom Boom wrote: is that just me getting smarter in my old age. :shrug:
UNFORTUNATELY - The OLDER I get the DUMBER I get! DUH!

I experienced my first hill climb FAIL on the Freeride at the nasty rock climb/ledge on the blue trail.

Actually I didn't fail on the rock climb/ledge - I failed just trying to get started on the mess of wet muddy brick sized rocks that were in the sloped up "staging" area just below the big stuff. I couldn't even get the bike to start moving enough to get on the pegs and give it a try! UGH!

BUCHO, on the other hand, made it up without any help from the rest of us! :thumbup:
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike