I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Hatfield-McCoy trip, April 16-19

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Hatfield-McCoy trip, April 16-19

Post by Bucho »

All in all the trip was great.
Staying at the McCoy's hotel worked out pretty well. All of us (minus Sam/BigBird, Gary/GearedUp, and the quad crew) set out that Thursday afternoon for a couple hour ride. It started sprinkling on us almost as soon as we left and the trails were already pretty wet from previous rains. We found a nice tree down blocking our path. We did place a choice rock down for a kicker and we all made it over w/ minimal drama. We made our way up to the northern part of single track 195 and though perhaps a poor idea in the rain we did it anyway. We all had apretty tough time getting up one of the steeper hill climbs but luckily we all made it before it started totally pouring on us. We took one look at the insane hillclimb right at the junction where trail 195 turns into 198 and we took the downhill bailout to the quad trail below. The party weary and wet headed back toward Matewan. The rain just stopped as we got to the last intersection before the last quarter mile to the hotel. We split into two riding groups. My group headed up for the northern entrance to single track 150. The only tough hills were down hills. They were rough but easy enough going down.

This was the easy downhill. Kind of eroded and rocky.

This was the other one, a bit worse.

Andrew (one of my work buddies), Jay, and CJ (Darwain's grandson). We are all resting down at the bottom.

Coal shaft?

After this we decided we could do a little more. The rain was still holding off, and maybe even a little sun was peaking out. We headed up to 191 and went up the hard way.

CJ struggling on a little tough hillclimb.

By the time we finished that we were pretty much done and exhausted and headed for home. We took a wrong turn and went down old trail 39 (not on the map anymore but still there). Was pretty fun though we found one of the many puddles was deeper and muckier than the others. Andrew and I found out the hard way.

We finally made it home totally muddy and soaked. We all ate at Wingo's. BBQ was pretty good. I slept hard.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I have some more pictures. I'll do Friday and Saturday later.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Looks like a fun time....no dust problems.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Friday morning we headed out. I started out leading a pretty big group. J, Andrew, Sam (now on a bike today), Chris (Ottoparts), Jed (Judspaintballs), Gary, and the quad crew. We were going to try to all ride together to a lunch in Williamson before we split up.

Heavy rains the previous few days caused this washout.

Bikes could just barely slip along the edge. But I think the quad guys liked having a little four wheel drive action time.

We were all heading over to do the blue 26, red/black 90 loop. Halfway down the blue trail one of the quad guys had an issue w/ his quad. Stalled and couldn't get it to fire. They told us to go on and we did. (I later heard they were able to tow their buddy out a logging road to pavement. Then a 15 mile tow to find a place that would work on Yamahas. A couple hundred bucks later, they had a working quad. They were still able to get a couple hours in at the end of the day.)
For the rest of us we journeyed on the single track 181 ( a new one I'd never been on before). Was fun, there were these old stone fences we had to ride up and over. Though there were a few muddy spots that were pretty marshy w/ yesterday's rain.
Only one tough hill. Here is a shot or two of Chris riding his DRZ. Pretty big/heavy bike compared to what the rest of us were riding, but Chris is a pretty big guy and rode it well.

Just over the first little lip, now it really gets steep. I was screaming at everyone to stay on the throttle right here.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

We continued on down trail 90. We found we went down the "tough" side. The way back up was basically just a dirt road. Next time we will ride in reverse direction.

We also found quite a few "no entry" signs up on trails that were on our map as legal trails for us to ride. Not wanting to go way around I generally led my party down them anyway. We started making our way over to Williamson while on some blue trail, Sam stops us and tells us he has this great single track trail on his GPS. He talks us into it and we follow. For a while it was pretty fun, a nice trail.
Then we go under this log and down this super slick, steep hill.

At the bottom of hill that none of us can possibly make it back up. Sam suddenly says, "I don't think we are on the trail anymore..." We finally made it out to a trail and cut down the pavement into Williamson for lunch and refueling. And yes, by my authority as the guy who put the trip together, I did revoke Sam's leadership privledges for the rest of the trip.
On the way back to Matewan we tried to find trail 194 and we never did. We pushed on and found 132. I think this picture is from that trail.

I honestly forget where this was taken, but it was sometime that afternoon.

On one of the quad trails J found this uber deep puddle.

We hit one or more single track trails. 149, and maybe some more. We finally made it back.

Had a great dinner at the Mexican place just down from the hotel. (Might have been my favorite meal of the trip.)
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

:lol2: You fail to tell the full story on the uber deep puddle.... the bottom foot was suck your boots off muck, my bike stopped like hitting a wall & I did a swan dive over the bars face first full body into the water. It was so thick I couldn't lift my front wheel out without Chris wadeing in to help drag it out. I couldn't get it to restart untill getting on solid ground to get some good kicks.

Here are a couple shots from the top of 199

Was a great trip allthough I wish my boy could have been there. Thanks Bucho for setting this up & keep up the great ride report
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

[quote="Bucho"]

Andrew and I found out the hard way.

quote]
:killingme: I laughed so hard here, I saw Bucho get stuck & rolled right around then we waited for the unsuspecting Andrew :hi5:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Day 3. We were feeling sore and tired when we got up. Sam (riding a different vehicle everyday, now on the FreeRide), J, and I headed out a lean , mean group of 3. Weather was great for a second day in a row.

We headed straight for 199.

Luckily I was able to get ahead just enough to be able to rip my gloves off and get my phone out to take a few pics of Sam and J taking this hill.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

199 was really fun!
The rest of the day was a single track attack. We went into Delbarton and eventually found a nice little place that the local's called "Glenndales" but was hard for us to find b/c it looked like a small grocery store that had a completely different name on the sign. There was also animals in cages outside for sale.

My only wrenching pic. Sam adjusting his chain. He used a rock, (not kidding).

Was an amazing trip. I thought everyone rode well. This was tough riding.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

That looks awesome guys, sorry I couldn't make it. That mud is actually some sort of West Virginia JBWeld product.
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!