I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

March moto madness

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: March moto madness

Post by Rut Row »

bonehead wrote:
juddspaintballs wrote:I'd love to go, but my wife would castrate me. I'm already going on so many little spring two-wheeled trips that I don't think I can justify leaving her alone with 4 kids under 6 for another one without risking my manhood.
Well, she might thank you because after your castration you wont have number five.
always important to put a positive spin on things! :lol2:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Ok, so I need to know more about this.
Bonehead, Wingfixer, you guys going? Which bike? Riding down?
What are your plans? I'm thinking backroads down on the 650.
:shrug:
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

You can pretty much take the BRP almost all of the way there. I rode it last May and wound up at Hunt's Lodge in Tellico Plains (good people/friends that own it btw).
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Good idea, I hadn't thought about the route yet... just that I don't think I want to run 81 all day on a 650. I have ridden the Blue Ridge a couple times with my Harley buddies & DAMN lucky we didn't end up in handcuffs..... dragging our running boards for two days :lol2:
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

I am going. I can ride down no problem also. I am not interested in rt81 either. We can look at a few different routes if you like.
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

It is a little under 700miles if we go some back roads on the way down and avoid highways we are looking at a 13+hr day of riding unless we stop and camp or get a hotel halfway down. Or we can load up all the bikes on my race car trailer and ride down in about 7hrs.
I am game either way. Whatever everyone is game for. I just know I am going.
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

How long are y'all planning for the ride down? If you have a couple/few days, it would be a great chance to run error cooled's Blue Ridge Trail.

I know it says distribution on hold, but I'm sure you know somebody with it.
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

thetable wrote:How long are y'all planning for the ride down? If you have a couple/few days, it would be a great chance to run error cooled's Blue Ridge Trail.

I know it says distribution on hold, but I'm sure you know somebody with it.
If you want to Run the BRT from Front Royal where it starts all the way to Tellico Plains you will need more than a couple days; more like a week. You could always just run parts of it though....

Here is the report from our trip a few years ago.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2569&hilit=brt&start=10

In late March I would think conditions could be even worse than what we experienced; it would be a lot of fun. I have all the files if you want them. I am guessing distribution is most likely on hold because every year EC re-verifies that all the route is still open and legal and some of these roads are seasonal.
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

Nice RR, I'll have to read it when I have enough time to go start to finish, but since you rode it, I think EC added in a bunch of more big bike friendly options. As to the hold on distro, EC went on a big family vacation/honeymoon/something, when he put it on hold. Since he got back, IIRC, he had some concern about land use issues and continued to stop distro.

There was another DS centric North South route that another guy had done incorporating more gravel and less trail. Unfortunately, I don't remember anything vaguely specific about that route other than it exists.

If you want a good twisty paved route down there, I can point you to a few great roads. Before I discovered the dirty bikes proper, I went down there 4-5 times a year, so I've discovered a few good twisties along the way.
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

thetable wrote: There was another DS centric North South route that another guy had done incorporating more gravel and less trail. Unfortunately, I don't remember anything vaguely specific about that route other than it exists.
I know of the TWVT (Trans WV Trail). It runs from Morgantown WV all the way to Tellico Plains. There is also the TET which cuts through WV as well and from memory also goes through Tellico Plains. IIRC, lots of guys use these "trails" as a way to get to TN to start the TAT. The TWVT is on my short list for my once a year "dual-sport" trip somewhere; maybe next year since I am planning a run up to the Allegeheny National Forest this year. I have gps files of all these if you ever want them, or they are all over ADV

thetable wrote:If you want a good twisty paved route down there, I can point you to a few great roads. Before I discovered the dirty bikes proper, I went down there 4-5 times a year, so I've discovered a few good twisties along the way.
Hell Yes!