I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Overnight/camping ride suggestion

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Overnight/camping ride suggestion

Post by Twist »

I jumped on this forum a few months ago when I started prepping a KLR for a summertime ride on the TAT. I'm foolishly starting to think that I might be close on my bike prep and load-out that I'll be hauling so I'm looking for a place I can do a test ride for a couple of days to include some overnight tent camping. I'm thinking maybe mid-April for a 2 day loop out into West Virginia but all my riding out there over the last few years has been on sport bikes.

Any ideas? Do you guys ever camp overnight when you go out?
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Re: Overnight/camping ride suggestion

Post by bonehead »

Greenridge or Seneca rocks.
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I live out in WV and I'd let you camp on my property if you wanted. I'll even join you for a ride if I'm not working or at Hatfield and McCoy when you go.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Stinson
DAMN Expert

Post by Stinson »

Go onto advrider and search for "TWVT". A member named Intothenew, put together a route to cross WV on mostly dirt roads. It starts just east of Winchester VA, and connects to the TAT. I've ridden it all the way to Kentucky camping along the way.
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Bald Eagle SF has endless dirt roads along with "driveable trails" that can offer some challenge. Many state parks in the area for camping, some nice campgrounds in the area with cabins to rent if not wanting to go 100% ruffing it in the cooler spring temps. You will cover the general area that PaTRA and Dabbers run for their yearly dual sports. Easy to run dirt roads well into NY if you wanted.
On the Bald Eagle SF website they have a map (takes a while to load) that shows every road (paved and dirt) along with the driveable trails and also the nice overlooks along with parks and camping areas.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

That TWVT thing sounded interesting so I found the main thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384536
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Since this is a shake out ride for my TAT bike prep, I'm going out fully loaded. What do you guys think about the Peters Mill/Tasker Gap trails for hauling around a loaded KLR? Are we talking about rutted up single tracks or dirt/gravel roads out there?
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

The Peters Mill main trail would be doable. Get into some of the others and you might not enjoy the rocks so much, even on the Peters Mill side the trail on top of the ridge is pretty rocky. It would be a lot more challenging than I have heard the TAT to be.
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Marylander wrote:The Peters Mill main trail would be doable. Get into some of the others and you might not enjoy the rocks so much, even on the Peters Mill side the trail on top of the ridge is pretty rocky. It would be a lot more challenging than I have heard the TAT to be.

Thanks. I'd heard that Peters Mill was the easier way. I guess I'll find out next week.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

PetersMill is probably a good test. A little rocky but relatively easy jeep road.
Easy for dirtbikes, should be a bit harder on a loaded up KLR.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200