I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Allegheny National Forest Dual Sport Ride - Sept 17- 20

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Re: Allegheny National Forest Dual Sport Ride - Sept 17- 20

Post by Ovo »

Skinny-J wrote:
To give you a flavor of this trip, here is the tentative itinerary:
1. Thursday – early morning rally in Emmitsburg, MD at the MD/PA line. From there it’s a quick jump north into Michaux where we will pick-up the TPAT (Trans PA trail laid out by guys on ADV). This route will basically stick to all little back country road and zig-zag around to include as many dirt roads as possible. One of the major dirt roads on this day will be the Caledonia Pike which is over 20 miles long. It’s kinda straight and not that interesting in places but it’s still pretty awesome to be on 20 miles of an un-interrupted dirt road. http://www.extremebackroads.com/index.p ... donia-pike
At the end of the day you will see close to 200 clicks on your odometer and we will grab a motel (no PITA camping for this kid) and sit around the parking lot drinking beers and telling stories. :cheers:
I am thinking this will be a good test ride for the Tiger...Count me in.

Caledonia is pretty boring, but I know some good side roads that will loop us around if you want to spend more time in this area.

What town are you planning to end in on Thursday? Depending on the location I have a suggestion of the Benezette Motel. Not real fancy, but the bar is pretty good: http://www.benezettehotel.com/index.php ... 3&Itemid=6 You also have the ELK Viewing Center and that time of year might be good.
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

I am thrilled so many of you guys are interested in this trip! I started a list of attendees in my first post so let me know if I missed anyone or put you in the wrong category. This is gonna be awesome!

SJ
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Denny wrote:The week of September 20th is Pennsylvania Trails Summit week in the ANF based out of Warren. I will be leading a Dual Sport ride on the 20th from the Timberline trail head and a trail seminar afterwards. Even if you can't make the Summit buy the trail pass for the OHV trail systems in the ANF. At $15 per day it is a great deal and a great 125 mile Dual Sport adventure.
Hey J! Did you see this?!?!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Ovo wrote: I am thinking this will be a good test ride for the Tiger...Count me in.
So counted!
Ovo wrote: Caledonia is pretty boring, but I know some good side roads that will loop us around if you want to spend more time in this area.
Sure, I am always looking for more and better of the RLT. The Caledonia Pike will actually be the very last leg of the day so at that point we may be looking to just getr-done and get to the hotel and beer but I can always add some alternates and people can choose if they want more. If you can, shoot me an e-mail with gpx or gps files at j-shaffer at comcast dot net.
Ovo wrote: What town are you planning to end in on Thursday? Depending on the location I have a suggestion of the Benezette Motel. Not real fancy, but the bar is pretty good: http://www.benezettehotel.com/index.php ... 3&Itemid=6 You also have the ELK Viewing Center and that time of year might be good.
I looked at the Benezette for lodging and thought it looked too fancy for us dirt bike scum. I am first going to try getting us set-up here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Medix-Ho ... e_internal Its a little further up Rt 555 and kinda out in the middle on now where and the outside deck and bar have the end of my day written all over them. But if the Medix doesn't work out, the Benezette is the backup.

Thanks,
SJ
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Post by Ovo »

Skinny-J wrote: I looked at the Benezette for lodging and thought it looked too fancy for us dirt bike scum. I am first going to try getting us set-up here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Medix-Ho ... e_internal Its a little further up Rt 555 and kinda out in the middle on now where and the outside deck and bar have the end of my day written all over them. But if the Medix doesn't work out, the Benezette is the backup.

Thanks,
SJ
Medix is a few hundred yards from my buddies cabin. I know it well and have stumbled home from there a few times now :angel: . Not sure they actually have rooms to stay in though (might want to call). Its a huge ATV,RZR,Harley meeting area on weekends and gets pretty crowded. Usually a local band plays on the weekends on the outside deck. Pretty happening spot on the weekends.

Another option: http://www.medixrunlodges.com/Reservations.asp We could just rent a few cabins for the night - Bear Lodge sleeps 8 and the other 2 lodges sleep 4 and the overnight cabins sleep 2.

I dont have GPS trax of the area, just my memory as we ride a 50-60 mile loop starting in Medix and end back in Medix. I know most of road names but on the north side of quehanna hwy Some of the roads/trails dont have names.
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Wingfixer wrote:
Denny wrote:The week of September 20th is Pennsylvania Trails Summit week in the ANF based out of Warren. I will be leading a Dual Sport ride on the 20th from the Timberline trail head and a trail seminar afterwards. Even if you can't make the Summit buy the trail pass for the OHV trail systems in the ANF. At $15 per day it is a great deal and a great 125 mile Dual Sport adventure.
Hey J! Did you see this?!?!
I did but didn't really find much on-line about it. The DCNR web site just has "Details Coming Soon". Maybe Denny can give us some more details about his Dual Sport ride like if its suitable for the bigger adventure bikes. If it is, maybe we could look at switching up our days so the day we ride the Marienville bike loop the bigger bike guys could do Denny's ride. Either way, I do plan to buy the pass to ride Mariensville; I thought it was only $10 but maybe Denny knows of a pending price increase for 2015: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/alleghen ... recid=6096
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Ovo wrote: Medix is a few hundred yards from my buddies cabin. I know it well and have stumbled home from there a few times now :angel: . Not sure they actually have rooms to stay in though (might want to call). Its a huge ATV,RZR,Harley meeting area on weekends and gets pretty crowded. Usually a local band plays on the weekends on the outside deck. Pretty happening spot on the weekends.

Another option: http://www.medixrunlodges.com/Reservations.asp We could just rent a few cabins for the night - Bear Lodge sleeps 8 and the other 2 lodges sleep 4 and the overnight cabins sleep 2.

I dont have GPS trax of the area, just my memory as we ride a 50-60 mile loop starting in Medix and end back in Medix. I know most of road names but on the north side of quehanna hwy Some of the roads/trails dont have names.
Thanks, that's great intel on Medix. Since they had "hotel" in their name I was assuming lodging was an option. Their web-site hasn't worked for a while now so I will make some calls when the time gets closer.
Denny
DAMN Expert

Post by Denny »

I am wrong the passes for the ANF are $10 per day $35 per year. I have a meeting in Harrisburg tomorrow and I hope to have more details on the Summit.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Short of anything crazy coming up I think you can safely put me on the "in" list.
I have the dualsport bike for this. The question is which wheelset do I run?
At the moment my 17"/motard set has some very unmotard like TKC80s which are probably about perfect for this. Hopefully they will last till September. I was planning on putting some Conti sumo rubber on when they are worn out.

My other wheelset is more offroady and I hate to wear them down with road riding.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

it is WAY too early to commit, but it is on the DAMN calendar. This might make a great outing (except for the last day) on the Adventure FZ (with some TKC80 tires).
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris