I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Allegheny National Forest Dual Sport Ride - Sept 17- 20

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Allegheny National Forest Dual Sport Ride - Sept 17- 20

Post by Skinny-J »

There seems to be a little bit of renewed interest in dual-sport riding around here lately so I am posting an open invite to a trip I am planning this fall. Granted it’s still a few months off but this way you can’t say you did not have sufficient time to get it on your calendar (or in some cases, beg for permission…).

To give you a flavor of this trip, here is the tentative itinerary:
1. Thursday – early morning rally in Emmitsburg, MD at the MD/PA line. From there it’s a quick jump north into Michaux where we will pick-up the TPAT (Trans PA trail laid out by guys on ADV). This route will basically stick to all little back country road and zig-zag around to include as many dirt roads as possible. One of the major dirt roads on this day will be the Caledonia Pike which is over 20 miles long. It’s kinda straight and not that interesting in places but it’s still pretty awesome to be on 20 miles of an un-interrupted dirt road. http://www.extremebackroads.com/index.p ... donia-pike
At the end of the day you will see close to 200 clicks on your odometer and we will grab a motel (no PITA camping for this kid) and sit around the parking lot drinking beers and telling stories. :cheers:

2. Friday- is tourist stuff in the morning, only via more Roads Less Travelled. We will check out the Kinzua Bridge which was blown down by a tornado in 2003:http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/ ... zuabridge/and the Kinzua Dam:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinzua_Dam Then it’s a hot lap around the Allegheny Reservoir followed by Route 666:http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/490/P ... Ride!.html
The day will be finished off with a ride through Cooks State Forest which is one of my favorites and terminate at another shady motel near the trail head of the ANF trails. There will probably be another 200 clicks on your odometer again after this day….

3. Saturday – Off Road day. We will ride the Mariensville section of the Allegheny National Forest trails. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 052724.pdf
Marienville consists of a section that is shared use with ATV’s and another section that is Bikes only. The Bike section is supposed to be pretty rocky and difficult so I can’t wait. There is also an easier side called Timberline that is shared with ATVs and easy so that could be an option for some of KTM riders in our group. :peep:

4. Sunday we will motor home….

So you may be asking, what bike should I bring? Well on Friday we will dragging pegs on some of the twistiest roads in PA so you might want your R1. On Saturday we will be riding nasty rocky trails so you might want your 250 2T. But, unless you can haul your KTM on a trailer behind your V-strom like some people, you will need .…a true dual sport bike that will do all of these things! :thumbup:

Hope lots of you guys can make it.

SJ

In
1. Skinny-J
2. Junior
3. J & J
4. Da Scrub, formerly known as Boosthund
5. Wingfixer
6. Bonehead
7. Ovo
8. Bucho
9. Phoo
10. Ottoparts
11. Gene-TW200
12. Juddspaintballs
13. BigBird

Hoping
1. Dirtygrunt
2. PA Trailrider
3. Kyler
4. Tuttle #2
5. Zambro9
Last edited by Skinny-J on Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:40 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: Allegheny National Forest Dual Sport Ride - Sept 17- 20

Post by Laoch »

Sounds like a good trip. I will have to wait and see what he calender brings that month.
Bruce
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Skinny-J wrote:So you may be asking, what bike should I bring? Well on Friday we will dragging pegs on some of the twistiest roads in PA so you might want your R1. On Saturday we will be riding nasty rocky trails so you might want your 250 2T. But, unless you can haul your KTM on a trailer behind your V-strom like some people, you will need .…a true dual sport bike that will do all of these things!
OK, I just re-read this and it's not exactly what I meant. I was trying to motivate people to blow the dust of their bigger DS bikes but I don't want to discourage anybody from coming on what ever bike they want. This is truly a run-what-ya-brung ride. If you want to bring a bigger adventure bike (GS, KTM Adventure, FZ09-whatever, Super Tenere) I think you would still have a blast with the exception of riding the dirt bike trails. However, there are plenty of other roads for you to entertain your self with if you can't do the trails.

Don't read about the stories afterwards; come be part of them. :whip:

SJ
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

dirtygrunt wrote:Sounds like a good trip. I will have to wait and see what he calender brings that month.
Dirty,

Awesome. Continue to mend fast! Hope you can make it.

(And no AMA required :killingme: )

SJ
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

Skinny-J wrote:
Skinny-J wrote:So you may be asking, what bike should I bring? Well on Friday we will dragging pegs on some of the twistiest roads in PA so you might want your R1. On Saturday we will be riding nasty rocky trails so you might want your 250 2T. But, unless you can haul your KTM on a trailer behind your V-strom like some people, you will need .…a true dual sport bike that will do all of these things!
OK, I just re-read this and it's not exactly what I meant. I was trying to motivate people to blow the dust of their bigger DS bikes but I don't want to discourage anybody from coming on what ever bike they want. This is truly a run-what-ya-brung ride. If you want to bring a bigger adventure bike (GS, KTM Adventure, FZ09-whatever, Super Tenere) I think you would still have a blast with the exception of riding the dirt bike trails. However, there are plenty of other roads for you to entertain your self with if you can't do the trails.

Don't read about the stories afterwards; come be part of them. :whip:

SJ
I have just the bike for that ride! I`ll be right behide you! :whip: :whip: That should give me enough time to get the new forks done! And a fresh set of 606`s!
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Sounds like fun... I'm in :thumbup:

Don't know about the boy. He will have his learners but.... don't know about a bike or school :shrug:
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Junior wrote: I have just the bike for that ride! I`ll be right behide you! :whip: :whip: That should give me enough time to get the new forks done! And a fresh set of 606`s!
Nice, just like old times. :hi5:
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

J&J wrote:Sounds like fun... I'm in :thumbup:

Don't know about the boy. He will have his learners but.... don't know about a bike or school :shrug:

Sweet! It will be team Honda-J-Squared; tearing it up! :smoking:
da scrub
DAMN Wanabe

Post by da scrub »

Count me in!
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Good job getting the dual sport clan to throw down some miles.

Things sure have been fading off but good to see some DAMN outings organized
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr