I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Allegheny National Forest Dual Sport Ride - Sept 17- 20

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Allegheny National Forest Dual Sport Ride - Sept 17- 20

Post by Firebolter »

12 pages of blah blah blah and only 3 crappy pics! BUST! Did you guys even ride or just share gas and sleep in! :screwy:
Lots of cool bikes---
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Awesome trip!! If you didn't go you missed one of the best and truest dual-sport rides ever!! (I'm looking at you Kyler :dirtdog: ). I ended up with a tad over 1000 miles in four days. It was a great, well matched group. Jed, I don't know what your talking about, it didn't seem to me we waited for anyone for very long and you didn't have a small tank, the rest of us just had LARGE ones! :lol2:

Some pics:

F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Wingfixer wrote:(I'm looking at you Kyler :dirtdog: )
what can I say other than my priorities were obviously wrong :think: :chicken kiss:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Firebolter wrote:12 pages of blah blah blah and only 3 crappy pics! BUST! Did you guys even ride or just share gas and sleep in! :screwy:
Ya can't log 1039 miles of dirt, gravel, single track and twisties if'n yer stoppin all the ding-dang time to take pitchers! And, where where you, mister rider? :deal:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Now there's some pictures! Nice! Good report and ride, and WF, I was in Cali working :dirtdog:

Sucks, would have rather been riding with you guys!
Lots of cool bikes---
stretchride
DAMN Expert

Post by stretchride »

Nice! You guys crushed that bridge tho... :dirtdog:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

another pic from the Medix Hotel, it was lovely

Somewhere toward the end of the day 1

I think this was the morning of day 2 just outside the Medix
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Day 2 was pretty neat, from the above pics, we tried cutting through some sort of Elk Preserve, we were able to get onto these nice dirt roads (and spot a few elk in the misty morning), but ran into a bunch of these.

Was still a nice ride, but I think we had to find our way quite a ways around and finally got to our breakfast stop at 1030-1100ish.

Next we went to the Kinzua Bridge site, that was really neat. I had never heard of it before. Trains stopped using it back in the 60's? And was just a tourist attraction till high winds tore it down in 2003. It is now a park.

We went exploring and found this neat little area. We got a little offtrack again but it was cool.

That is Junior blasting away

Same area, wandering around

This is Junior stopping by the water to meditate I think...
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I think this is my only Kinzua bridge and wreckage pic, (Patrick covered it pretty well anyway)

Here is a nice beaver shot

This is my own shot of Kinzua Dam. I thought it was a funny sign.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Our Day 2 Lunch stop did come till about 3pm. Was a nice BBQ place, but since we just had a big breakfast only a few hours ago Junior and I sat and watched everyone else eat. (I did eat a few onion rings and drink a soda) But I neglected to get any pics of this or the Summit Lodge that was our hotel and dinner stop for the next two nights. It wasn't anything fancy but it got the job done. Though they did have 70+ flavors of wings. Phoo and I tried the Sirracha wings (not hot at all), and the hot wings which had a nice flavor but weren't really hot either.
Only thing to add about Day 2 was some great high speed twisty pavement. At one point I was chasing Patrick and we were ALL rolling along pretty well. Nobody hit a deer or anything so it was all good fun.

Anyways on to Day 3. This was basically the offroad day. It was also the day it rained. Not all day but enough in the morning to give a good soaking to everything. It was also the first day that I was regretting my motard wheels. I did have them shod w/ TKC80s but they were pretty worn even before this trip started.
Before we got to the offroad the GPS tracked us down this little woods path (that it thought was a road), probably would have been easy if it were dry but in the wet I crashed pretty good once, and was slipping and sliding for the rest of it. My front end just wouldn't grip. I was pretty much in survival mode. Slow and steady doesn't crash (much).
Needless to say I was bringing up the rear. I got a few pics of the Mariensville section.

Jed didn't just fall into this deep puddle

Most of it was fairly easy (if you had real dirt wheels/tires), but this small section did get rocky and is much steeper than it looks.

Ready to help the next guy up this tough hill
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200