I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

ANF Dual Sport Itineary

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

ANF Dual Sport Itineary

Post by Skinny-J »

First off, most of you have ridden with me and know that I am not the schedule Nazi that the below might appear to make me out to be. However, in true Junior Park Ranger fashion and for my own planning I put this together to try and figure out logical places for food and gas. I know that millage range is a concern for at least one guy so this will give him a feel for the distance between the planned stops. I am sure there will be other stops thrown in but honestly the planned route is purposely going to be pretty remote so I am not sure what we will find along the way.

I am finishing up the GPS file this week. Anyone who wants a copy, please mail me at j-shaffer at comcast.net. The more navigation we can add to the group the better. Note that in the below I have included the address of many of the food stops so if someone gets separated from the group you need to be prepared to find your own way to the town listed at our next stop. I would recommend you print this list and keep a copy with you...

This is a fairly sizable group. To deal with the hundreds of turns in these routes we will employ the buddy system. This will allow us to get spread out and this will also help if it’s dusty. For clarification, the buddy system works as follows: Each rider is responsible for the rider immediately behind you. At each turn, you need to wait for the guy behind you to arrive and see you make the turn. If no one comes, you wait. Eventually, if there is a problem, there will be no one behind the leader and the chain is broken and a regroup is in order. IF you loose your buddy, you will be sent to the very back of the group AND you will be buying the beer that night!

Other random thoughts; everyone should ride their own pace; this is NOT a race. Junior and Wingfixer can go play boy racer on Rt 666 and we can bend WF’s luggage rack back into shape at the end.

So familiarize yourself with the following and it should give you a feel for how each day is going to go:
Thursday:
5:30 am - Breakfast served at Skinny-J's
6:00 am - Kick stands up from Skinny-J's
7:30 am - Arrive Emmitsburg, MD- Exxon station at 110 Silo Hill Rd. There is a McDonalds next door to the Exxon for those who missed Breakfast as Skinny-J's. I recommend that everyone top off (gas and food) to sync-up future stops.
8:00am - SHARP - Kick stands up from Emmitsburg. If you are late you are on your own!!
~2:00 pm (155 miles) - LUNCH - Main Street Café - 214 Main Street, Alexandria, PA 16611. Gas after Lunch @ Martin General Store - 5496 William Penn Hwy (RT 22), Alexandria, PA
~6:00pm - Medix Hotel- BEER and Dinner!!
(Total for day: 235 miles total from Emmitsburg)

Friday:
8:00 am - Kick stands up at Medix Hotel
8:05 am - arrive Benezette Hotel (the Medix guys will come and meet the Benezette guys)
8:06 am - Kick stands up at Benezette Hotel
9:00 am - BREAKFAST- Cabin Kitchen Restaurant -24 W 4th St, Emporium, PA. Gas at Sheetz across the street.
~11:00 am - Kinzua Bridge State Park- visit destroyed bridge
~12:30 pm -Bradford Ranger Station - purchase trail pass for Saturday
~1:00 pm - Kinzua Dam -visit Dam
~1:30 pm (105 miles)- LUNCH - Wells Hog Wild BBQ & Grill - 386 Kinzua Rd, Warren, PA 16365. Gas (later at 133 miles) @ Repine's Auto Service in Sheffield, PA
Afternoon Highlights: Allegheny Reservoir, Rt 666 (the Boyz will be turned loose) and a finish thru Cooks State Forest
~6:00 pm-Summit Manor Motel - 15129 Boot Jack Rd - Ridgeway, PA 15853 - BEER and Dinner!!
(Total for day: 238 miles)

Saturday:
8:00 am Kick stand up at the Summit
8:05 am BREAKFAST - Subway -218 Main Street, Ridgeway, PA. Gas at the Sheetz on Rt 219
~9:00 pm -arrive Timberline ATV trails TO Marienville ATV trails to Marienville Bike Only trail.
~1:30 pm (80 miles of which 47 off-road) LUNCH - Clarendon Café -7 Main st, Clarendon, PA
~2:30 pm -Rocky Gap ATV trail (20 miles off road)
~6:00 pm-Summit Manor Motel - 15129 Boot Jack Rd - Ridgeway, PA 15853 - BEER and Dinner!!
(Total for day: 156 miles of which 67offroad)

Sunday:
8:00 am Kick stand up at the Summit
8:20 am BREAKFAST - Morelli Family Restaurant - 8442 Rt 219, Brockway, PA 15824
(Total for day: 214 miles to Emmitsburg)
Late afternoon option: Pen Mar High Rock Hang gliding Cliff at mile 194

T-9

SJ
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: ANF Dual Sport Itineary

Post by Bucho »

Sounds really fun. Thanks again for doing all the leg work so guys like me can just show up and have an awesome ride.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

I seem to resemble several of those remarks. :dirtdog: For the record, I got a different luggage rack, this one won't require any bending back. No Distazias!!

Looking forward to this! !
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

Wingfixer wrote: No Distazias!!
This is EXTREEMELY DISAPPOINTING !!!

OFG has been REALLY looking forward to a repeat of the GREAT SHOW following Wingfixer as provided on Skinny-J's BRT adventure a few years ago!
It appears Wingfixer has become a :chicken: with NO REGARD for the enjoyment of others :shrug:
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Nope, not :chicken: . The Distanzia's got hard as a rock and even riding on tarmac has gotten...entertaining. They still have tread on them though so, free to a good home if somebody else wants to provide some excitement. :lol2:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

Wingfixer wrote:Nope, not :chicken: . The Distanzia's got hard as a rock and even riding on tarmac has gotten...entertaining. They still have tread on them though so, free to a good home if somebody else wants to provide some excitement. :lol2:
OK we need a VOLUNTEER to maintain the entertainment level for this ride! I'll pay for the mounting and balancing!
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

My trakmaster IIs might have popped off all of the knobs by the time we get to the trail. Does that count?

Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

So, what would be a good tire to use for such a trip? I'm considering a T-63 as a good mix tire. How much tarmac are we doing in relation to dirt/gravel?
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

juddspaintballs wrote:So, what would be a good tire to use for such a trip? I'm considering a T-63 as a good mix tire. How much tarmac are we doing in relation to dirt/gravel?
Best guess: Thurs and Fri: 15% gravel (there just ain't that much left around anymore...)
Sat: 50/50 - Off road day with transfer pavement between Mariensville and Rocky Gap.
Sunday: minimal

I have never ran one personally, but I put a T-63 on a buddy's bike for a trip to Moab; it seemed fine.
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

juddspaintballs wrote:So, what would be a good tire to use for such a trip? I'm considering a T-63 as a good mix tire. How much tarmac are we doing in relation to dirt/gravel?
I got a gently used set of Avon Distanzia's I'll mount up for you! They are even slightly famous!! :killingme:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.