I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Brown & Brushy Mtn Ride Report

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Brown & Brushy Mtn Ride Report

Post by Firebolter »

Went down to Brown and Brushy MTN's this past weekend. Brown and Brushy Mtn's are in North Carolina, in the Morganton (Brown) area and Lenoir (Brushy) area of NC. Takes about 6-7 hours to drive there from DC area. Easy drive down I81 to I77 into NC then 421 and some other smaller state roads. Weather was AWESOME! but cold in the mornings. Sunny and mid 50's both days and drop down to high 20's at night.

Some gang members hanging out at our camp site

Boyz gotta eat!

Brown Mtn is a USFS OHV area and Brushy is a Private area. Brown cost 5 bucks a day to ride and Brushy is 25 bucks. Both places have camping, Brown is free and brushy is 5 bucks a head to camp. Brown has restrooms, but that's it. You need to bring everything else with you. Brushy has restrooms and a shower, yes A single shower. Lastly, Brown IS NO ALCOHOL ON PREMISES. The Rangers will come and check your camp site and they write tickets, so you have been warned! They actually will look in coolers, so be careful if you camp there. We heard about a guy who was there Friday and Ranger made him pour out all of his beer and the quart of shine he had and wrote him a warning ticket. They don't play at Brown! Brushy is no worries, drink and party post ride!

We camped at Brown Thursday night and rode Friday. We moved into a hotel for Friday night after Brown Mtn and then camped at Brushy Sat night after we rode all day then drove home Sunday.

Okay, the riding at these 2 locations IS NOTHING LIKE EACH OTHER, other than both are in NC. Brown is a more sandy, limestone rock kinda place whereas Brushy is more like North Georgia, Clay and some loamy black stuff on the western half of the property. Brown was wet but traction was superb. You had bite anywhere regardless of tire choice. Brushy was wet and muddy and slick, but we had no problems (mostly) riding everything except for the one big hill climb going out towards the "Enduro" trail. Although one of our crew did change his tire to a knob from a gay tire, I mean trials tire at the lunch break--- :angel:
Brushy has more trail and is easier to do loops and come back to camp for lunch or bike fix etc. whereas Brown is you go out and come back, no easy way to cut across once you get out to the north end of the trail system.

Both have 1 way Single track, so it is nice to be able to rail around and not have to worry. Brushy has ATV loops in the middle of the property and all of the single track is out on the perimeter of the property, so it is nice to drop down and ride the ATV to cut back to camp. It is NICE ATV TRAIL! Really like a ribbon with big banked turns you can rail around. It is not all clapped out like you would think, it was actually alot of fun to rip the ATV trail. We saw quite a few ATV's there in the parking lot, but never ran into one at all. In fact, we only ran into other dirt bikers once, Brushy is big and has alot to ride. You could easily ride 2 full days to ride all of it. Brown is about 34 miles of single track.

I shot some video of Brown trails so you can get a idea of what it is like. Lots of rock, but not real sharp edges:
http://vid1112.photobucket.com/albums/k ... cmqt9d.mp4

I will definitely go back. Considering it is only 6-7 hours away and you have ~100 miles (between both places) of real single track with nice elevation changes, cool hill climbs, nice roots and rocks to challenge you every now and then, it is pretty sweet. Brushy is adding a bunch of new trail, we rode some of it. Brushy is putting on a 100 mile (5 loops of 20 miles each) Extreme Enduro next October, so if you want a challenge, go ride that, cause 100 miles of Brushy would be a serious workout. 200 miles of Colorado riding would be easier than 100 miles of Brushy!

Brushy's website http://bmmspark.com/
Brown website http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/re ... 4&actid=93
Brown brochure and map http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 844926.pdf

So if you want to go ride something new (assuming you have never been there) and ride really good single track, these 2 areas are just 6 hours away!
Lots of cool bikes---
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Re: Brown & Brushy Mtn Ride Report

Post by Skinny-J »

Firebolter wrote:...Although one of our crew did change his tire to a knob from a gay tire, I mean trials tire at the lunch break--- :angel:
But for the record, I don't push back Mr. Big cot.....

Good write up Bill, can't wait to go back in the Spring!!
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Looks fun!

About same drive as to Matewan WV...
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Honestly, I would go here before I go back Hatfield and McCoy. Way better trail and better maintained.
Lots of cool bikes---
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Nice write up Bill.....sure wish I could have made it. A week later and what hit me prior to the trip I have to fully shake off. You guys would have been pissed if I passed along this crap to all of you. That little clip of Brown makes me think I could play on a trials bike all day in those big rocks.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Boom Boom wrote:That little clip of Brown makes me think I could play on a trials bike all day in those big rocks.

Oh yeah Mike, that's the first thing I thought when we got there was to do one of our 2 day "Summit" trips there where we free ride trials bikes one day and dirtbikes the next. There are quite a few place (especially the one in the clip) that we could spend hours there and have a blast.
Lots of cool bikes---