I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Peters Mill Run Wednesday 12/16

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Peters Mill Run Wednesday 12/16

Post by Bucho »

Sorry, Im out. I have funeral on Tuesday and just makes too many things to do...
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
illenium
DAMN Wanabe

Post by illenium »

Just to clarify, I get up at 7am, but I'm slow and prop wont leave for the first run before 9am...the earliest :freakey:

I'm not into that shortcut posted, my bike is way too heavy to squat more than 3 times in a row :D

Still planing on leaving tomorrow for early ride Wednesday :cheers:

&Marylander - I have the Nat. Geo map of the general area for exploring
illenium
DAMN Wanabe

Post by illenium »

The more I think about it the more I consider taking the truck and hauling Beta trials bike up there...that should get me through most of it :deal:

That would leave room for another small bike on the Taco :cheers:

Decisions....
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

495 is a beast trail. Next time I get a sucker with me, I'm giving it a go again... Maybe... Nah, probably not...
Peters mill, definitely big bike rideable. As is the fire road on the Taskers side, just don't take the trail down to it. I'd ride either one on my motard, but I might not be the sharpest hammer in the bag.

Trials bike there, meh... 495 would be fun to play on, but most of the rest, not so much.

If it was me, you not having been there, and the weather looks to be cooperative, I'd say:
Ride the S10 there, ride the peters mill trail, ride the other big OHV trail on the Taskers side, stop to walk in a ways on 495, (it's short, but takes a fair amount of time to ride.). Then I'd ride out peters mill, and head to Woodstock tower, and walk up to the top of the tower.
There's a decent amount of riding in the area besides all that. From fun twisties, to gravel roads. Also worth checking out is Storybook Trail, but that's a little ways off.

And another thing, while I'm rambling, it is hunting season, and the deer are in rut. Wear bright colors, and be prepared for deer to be stupid.
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I've been wanting to do 495. I haven't been on it since I got back on the dirt bike in 2012. I was told it had been cleaned up since I was on it last around 99/00. I don't remember too much about riding it back then except once when I was there with my brother. He's even shorter than me and tends to put his feet down too much (he never got the hang of rock riding). I had to walk back to help him a bunch to get through there.
illenium
DAMN Wanabe

Post by illenium »

Thanks for the tips, i didnt even think about hunting season, I'll wear white instead of the usual green jersey :)

A buddy of mine just texted me he's in for the trip, he abuses a Polaris Sportsman 500, so I'll bring the Warrior
and also the trials bike if I can fit it on the truck . We leave tonight at around 5pm, should get there sometime
around 8pm with traffic, to setup camp for tonight.

If anyone wants to stop by, look for a Blue Tacoma Truck and a black KTM Tent with attached 'garage' :whip:

I"m going to have an extra tent with me as well, just in case anyone from here wants to roll out on short notice
and travel light, just bring a sleeping bag and text me at 443 410 o-n-e nine six s-e-v-e-n

We are sure to bring the gopro and camera to snap some pics

:lurker:
illenium
DAMN Wanabe

Post by illenium »

Ride re-cap :)

We left Tuesday evening around 630pm from Glen Burnie and took 70 to 340 to 81. With stopping
and dinner it took us about 3 hours to make it to the Edinburgh Shell Station where we bought permits
for the next day, they were 5$ a head, very cheap. :deal:

Afterwards we continued on the backroads to get to the National Forrest, we than spotted the
Campground sign but didnt see the left turn so we continued straight. After about a mile or so
the road became narrow, followed by steep with tight turns, we went all the way down to find
a way to turn around with the trailer and rolled back up. This time we found the campground
at around 11pm :jack:

Camp was setup and the fire was up quick using scraps others left behind on the various campground,
as we expected we were the only ones in the Forrest.

In the morning we explored the campgrounds and surveyed the 'facilities'

Next, unloading and suiting up.

We started with the trail off the campgrounds, which is 552 Wagon Road (White Blaze) and onto
433 Peters Mill Run (Yellow Blaze) to the Edinburg Gap. 552 is super easy and short, 433 does have
some sections that can get a bit dicy on a heavy enduro, but I'd take my Tenere there.

All in all the road was pretty wet, there were plenty mud puddles about a foot or so deep, however
they didnt seem too rocky.

Past Edinburg Gap, we went onto 493 Dynamite (Blue Blaze), now this one started mellow but quickly became
quite rocky. About 2 miles in we noticed the Polaris fan had stopped complying and the 4 wheeler shut
off periodically, so we decided to short cut over 497 Wide Gap (Purple Blaze) onto the remainder of 493
which started with a VERY rocky section on decline, I'm not sure what path I had picked for this decline
on my Tenere, probably would have had to eat some dirt (or rocks), but we came on 4 wheelers so it was bouncy
but not too hard.

The tricky part is in the top of this video.

Since we had issues with the Polaris (which weights in at almost 1000 lbs) we decided to head back to the
campground the same way we came in on, 433. We made it there safely and had a blast riding back flying
through puddles.

I have to admit my arms got worn out and my thighs are sore today, it was fun and violent :lurker:

As for the Super10, I will take it there next spring for a ride, but will make sure it didnt rain for a few
days to increase chances of not breaking parts in the progress :)

Last edited by illenium on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
illenium
DAMN Wanabe

Post by illenium »

Overnight low was 32F and day time high was 55F (felt like sixties in the sun) , great weather we lucked out :)

PS: We brought the go pro but forgot the box with the mounts :shrug: ... so I only have some cell phone footage
and my buddy has some more, sorry :/
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Looks like you had a good time.

Im sorry I missed it. Not only did I have a funeral but got sick and lost almost the whole week.

Ive never stayed at the camp ground before. Is it free? Did I understand that right? Amazing bargain for the $5/day riding. I might have to make that an overnight trip in 2016. There are still pieces of Taskers I have yet to ride on.

Nice ride report.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
illenium
DAMN Wanabe

Post by illenium »

Bucho wrote:Looks like you had a good time.

Im sorry I missed it. Not only did I have a funeral but got sick and lost almost the whole week.

Ive never stayed at the camp ground before. Is it free? Did I understand that right? Amazing bargain for the $5/day riding. I might have to make that an overnight trip in 2016. There are still pieces of Taskers I have yet to ride on.

Nice ride report.
Oh man sorry to hear that, hope things are now going in a better direction.

Yes the campground was free, the tent pads are huge, it says family style for upto 12 ppl per site. The first one was a pull through, the others you would have to back in which might be tricky with a big trailer.

We also noticed several primitive campsites along the stream getting to the campgrounds, in case you drive up with the bike that might be an option too

I will definitely be back, riding being so cheap makes up for the gas spent pulling in the toys :)